Dealing with difficult neighbors - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #41

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
It's been my experience that having even small fluffy dogs permanently outside regardless of adverse climate, is a culture thing. I hate it as well and have complained to neighbors that do that and yes it is heart breaking. Many I know continue to replace their little dogs despite their running away or just dropping dead from neglect. I have had to feed some over the fence especially when their owners leave town for a week or more and the pooch is outside as usual. In the US especially in southern California, we will see more and more of this as it's the norm south of the border. I know that for certain as I once spent a lot of time there and witnessed this first hand in every single neighborhood I visited, they were mostly kept on the roof not allowed in the house.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
It's been my experience that having even small fluffy dogs permanently outside regardless of adverse climate, is a culture thing.
True enough, Santiago. Sometimes what falls under 'cultural differences' is better described as just plain wrong. I recall a couple of decades ago when I was in India - big fat healthy cows walking on city streets, unmolested, while little kids starved to death. The folks there saw nothing amiss.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our county has a compliance dept that handles barking dog complaints which is against the law here. They notify first complaint, visit on second complaint, and then fine $125 on third and successive complaints. Usually resolves the left outside barking dogs, however, if they are silent outdoor dogs, may never be discovered.

Back on topic, I would imagine that if the neighbor issue is left as is and she files a complaint on the trailer then he will receive a notice with what is needed to bring the situation into compliance and given a time frame to bring it into compliance, which might be the best path to follow.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Back on topic. Excellent.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'm thinking the neighbor is probably in violation of some ordinance or other too. As soon as you impose zoning and visual protection laws it's pretty much impossible not to be. When you bring the cookies over, you might want to mention whatever their violation is and see if you can engineer an "I won't complain if you don't" trade.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #46
Site Team

I've tried the "kill them with kindness" approach many times Sean. Used to work back in the day - not so much anymore. I don't know why, but there's a huge segment of the population that are either unreasonable or downright mean. My approach has changed over the years. Just do what you have to do to comply with the code, and leave that malcontent alone. Just my two cents.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Maybe try reporting yourself? "My neighbor is complaining and I want to make sure I'm within the letter of the law". It would give you a chance to talk with the inspector that will decide what is good enough and send a message to your neighbor that you won't be bullied.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
She has already decided that she will report me Monday morning. So today I pulled two fence panels from my backyard and made a freestanding screen for the RV.

It was quick, easy, and cost nothing. So silly to think that this will solve any problems. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1010.jpg   IMG_1011.jpg   IMG_1012.jpg  
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Sure looks to me like you met the spirit of the zoning regulations. Shouldn't have a problem if they send an inspector by.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
She has already decided that she will report me Monday morning. So today I pulled two fence panels from my backyard and made a freestanding screen for the RV.

It was quick, easy, and cost nothing. So silly to think that this will solve any problems. Oh well.

Good luck!!!
We'll all be waiting to hear what happens next.....
Old 10-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape
Daubsy, the trailer looks well screened. But, what is that blue thing in the picture? That's next.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Couldn't you put up a huge Lone Star flag? Let her try to complain about that.
Attached Thumbnails
W Lone star.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Daubsy, the trailer looks well screened. But, what is that blue thing in the picture? That's next.
Hi: Viajante... Looks like his parachute to me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
From your unpaved driveway, I'm also thinking this must be south Austin, which makes the whole entire fuss even more amazing...

By the way, we had a detective inspect our VIN yesterday; he said ours was the second Escape he's done. I asked if the first was yours, but he "couldn't remember." Nice guy, though.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
From your unpaved driveway, I'm also thinking this must be south Austin, which makes the whole entire fuss even more amazing...

By the way, we had a detective inspect our VIN yesterday; he said ours was the second Escape he's done. I asked if the first was yours, but he "couldn't remember." Nice guy, though.

Hey Mary. Actually I'm in Rosedale, North Austin. But your right, I don't think I would be having this problem on the South side.

Sounds like your in the tedious process of registering your trailer. Completing the registration process is cause for celebration around here!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #56

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Personally, I'd wait and see if your neighbor rats you out to the authorities. My next step would be to comply with what Austin code dictates. There's no sense trying to second guess code compliance when you can get the facts straight from the horses mouth. My guess is that you will only be fined if you do not comply and I'll bet you get 30 days to do so.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 19'
I've found just going to City Hall and asking who to talk to first is the best way to handle it. City Hall is often tired of people who complain about everything (making more work for them) and will be reasonable with you. I've gotten a couple variances after simply filling out a form and paying a small fee.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Hey Mary. Actually I'm in Rosedale, North Austin. But your right, I don't think I would be having this problem on the South side.

Sounds like your in the tedious process of registering your trailer. Completing the registration process is cause for celebration around here!
Oh my goodness. This is also weird behavior for Rosedale! (I'm very familiar with that part of town; used to take swimming lessons at Ramsey pool, back in the day - a lonnnng time ago...)

Did you have to get your trailer weighed?
Old 10-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #59
Site Team

No weighing necessary, and no safety inspection. It's below the minimum weight for that. The DMV goes by the weight on the certificate of origin. Thank God. The VIN inspection requirement "by a member of the Texas Auto Theft Task Force" is hassle enough.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #60

But this is Travis County

Since ours is a 21, our situation's different. (MCO lists GVWR at 4600 lbs, even though the trailer of course weighs less; but it's the gross they go by on whether to require the safety inspections, and for that it's trailers above 4500 lbs.)

Sorry, for moving your thread off-topic, Sean.