Decorator help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Decorator help

When I get to the initial build sheet stage I'm getting a pretty good idea of what I want to end up with for customizations. I'll find out what ETI will do and what I'll end up doing myself (a lot, I'm sure) but I'm not an interior decorator when it comes to colors & patterns. But I do know 2 starting parameters: gray will be my color scheme and I like the look of wood flooring. I also lean towards stainless steel/brushed nickle/chrome for the sink/faucet and SS or maybe black tempered glass for the stove.

The pic is what I'm currently thinking for the floor, counter & fabric. If I had a choice as an accent, such as window valance, it would likely be a multi-gray with a faint pattern.

Your comments & suggestions are invited.

Note - I'm going gray because I already have gray accessories in my current rv: towels, sheets, duvet, bath mat, throw rug, even place mats & oven mitts. For the first time after several RVs I may even name this one: The Gray Ghost and perhaps get a custom decal to go on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-08-08-02-53-16.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
To help it to contrast, pick the black trim around the counter!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
To help it to contrast, pick the black trim around the counter!
Since I've never seen a build sheet I didn't know that was an option. The contrast is one reason I might go for the tempered glass stovetop.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 17B
I love gray too! It's a nice neutral backdrop color. I really like your flooring and cushion picks.

This is my personal opinion, but since you asked, the countertop looks like a granite pattern to me, which I think has peaked in popularity; I work in real estate and I don't really see granite countertops anymore in new construction houses (a lot of quartz though, sometimes marble). Also, it feels a little dark to me.

Here are a couple countertop ideas:
Formica® Laminate - Sea Salt
Formica® Laminate - Mineral Spa (This is what we did, with a cream trim, and we also have gray seat cushions. We really like it).

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5725.jpg  
Jon & Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon & Adrienne View Post
... it feels a little dark to me.
You are right, it is dark - esp considering the others.

How about this, with possibly black sink & stovetop, chrome faucet.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-08-09-15-58-36.jpg  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
You are right, it is dark - esp considering the others.

How about this, with possibly black sink & stovetop, chrome faucet.
On thing I would do is to reach out to Escape and get them to provide you with a sample of the wall liner and cabinetry to compare too. Just about anything goes with the liner, but the cabinetry can clash with some stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 17B
Oh yeah, that is really pretty, I like that a lot!

Jim’s advice is good too. We ended up getting a creamier colored countertop than we would have picked otherwise, but it worked well for the trailer.
Jon & Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
On thing I would do is to reach out to Escape and get them to provide you with a sample of the wall liner and cabinetry to compare too. Just about anything goes with the liner, but the cabinetry can clash with some stuff.
Another thing added to my list of notes, ideas, questions to follow-up on.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #9

I'm now considering the possibility of solid seat cushions and 2-sided back cushions, assuming the ETI upholster would do it: solid on one side & pattern on the other. At the moment this is what I've narrowed it down to from one source. Of course, the one I prefer for the solid is twice the cost of the cheapest. And the pattern is repeating. They are not all "reorderable" so may not be available when my time comes. Too many choices & decisions. Swatches will eventually be ordered.
Attached Thumbnails
PhotoGrid_1533916772804.jpg  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
....., assuming the ETI upholster would do it: solid on one side & pattern on the other. ...............

Now, there's an excellent idea; why didn't we think of that.
I'll bet the ETI upholster can do it no problem, seein' as they typically do fabric front and vinyl rear now.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes getting better! a little drab in the first picture. I think your choices will look really nice. I love the idea of two fabric choices! Why didn't i think of that!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
When ordering formica samples, get multiples of each one so you'll have a bigger area to compare your flooring and fabric against. that's what I did and it really helped.

I was able to get a sample of the flooring from a local rep, but I don't know if that's always possible.

Solid fabric is nice if you're going to use decorative pillows in your dinette.

For fabric - nothing wrong with ordering it way in advance, especially if you really like it. That's what we did and the roll of it sat up in the attic for many months until I hauled it up to ETI.

Whatever you do on the fabric decision, if you're NOT getting the vinyl on the backside, make sure it's on your build sheet. I got 20 yards of my fabric (got a u-shape, so needed more fabric) as we didn't want the vinyl and wanted a full wrap. It was confirmed in emails with Sarah at ETI that we didn't want it and she even told me how much fabric to bring (I brought some extra, just in case).

When I picked up the trailer the first thing I noticed inside was that the cushions had vinyl backing. Needless to say nothing else in the orientation stuck in my mind after that as I was so pissed off over it. They checked and agreed it was confirmed in emails. But said it was our responsibility to make sure it got on the build sheet and refused to honor the email confirmation. Well, it was our first (and probably only) Escape trailer and we weren't exactly experts on build sheets. I was also told that it was left off since Sarah was new at the time of those emails. Well, if someone is new, shouldn't someone more experienced check her emails against the actual orders? Kind of what myself and others have thought.

Yeah, still not happy about it. So, I bring this up when I see mention on the forum of someone wanting a full wrap on their cushions, so they can learn from what happened to us. I'm only getting half usage out of the cushions since I can't flip them over. I also have mentioned it to quite a few folks that have viewed the trailer over the almost 2 years we've owned it. Many have agreed they should have honored the email confirmation. Yeah, not good PR for the company.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm now considering the possibility of solid seat cushions and 2-sided back cushions, assuming the ETI upholster would do it: solid on one side & pattern on the other. At the moment this is what I've narrowed it down to from one source. Of course, the one I prefer for the solid is twice the cost of the cheapest. And the pattern is repeating. They are not all "reorderable" so may not be available when my time comes. Too many choices & decisions. Swatches will eventually be ordered.
I know which one I would pick.....
Old 08-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Just an FYI, we asked if we could have the bottom cushions in one fabric and the back cushions in another and were told 'no' ... the cushions had to be all the same fabric. Thus, your idea of having a solid on one side and a pattern on the other probably won't fly.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Just an FYI, we asked if we could have the bottom cushions in one fabric and the back cushions in another and were told 'no' ... the cushions had to be all the same fabric. Thus, your idea of having a solid on one side and a pattern on the other probably won't fly.
That sucks. They can do fabric+vinyl but not fabric+fabric?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Just give ETI a call to find out. Who knows what answer you will get....
Old 08-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #17

I second Marry's suggestion, call them and find out. Things seem to change overnight at times so there's a possibility that you might receive an approval from them. I was asking that the bottom cushions (full wrap) be solid and the back cushions have a pattern but, it was not to be for us. It didn't make sense to me either but I didn't argue.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 08-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sometimes it's a mystery why some things get a "yes" and others a "no". We are in the build process and wanted a color of laminate for a table top that Formica does not offer. Wilson Art has just the thing, and we will be going to the ETI factory next month and could easily pick it up and bring to them then...but they will not work with Wilson Art. Not sure why, I would have thought that both were functionally equivalent for putting on a table top.

However, when we first began this process we were asking the question "Is there a small company out there who makes really cool lightweight fifth wheels and builds them with quality and care, one unit at a time, and also lets you make MANY changes and offers a load of custom options?" ETI was the only "Yes" answer to this question...so a few "no's" on the small stuff are no big deal to me. I have found that you can ask pretty much anything during the build sheet process - often the answer is "yes, we can do that", sometimes it's "no, ETI will not do that" so we just move on to the next item and are grateful for the vast amount of customization that they will do.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
I like all the soft grey colours you've shown. The upholsterers likely have a standard pattern for the cushion covers style in the Escape trailers . That particular cushion cover does not lend itself to a two-tone combination ( other than vinyl bottom - which is not "reversible" ) . I do believe there was once photos of cushion covers with contrast piping, that is a pattern that would lend itself more easily to two-tone and reversible . They would very likely have a good reason ( cost/timeframe ) for not doing varieties of cushion cover styles .
Old 08-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #20

Jim brings up a very good point about the cabinets. We were lucky in that we still had our 19' with us when we were looking at fabrics, flooring and counter tops for our 21' and it made a HUGE difference in our decision making. Flooring and fabrics that I first loved looked less than stellar when placed next to the cabinets. You have to remember that the cabinets take up a large amount of the space in the trailer so, if you have fabric/flooring that is too light, your whole interior will seem washed-out.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese