Defensive driving with your Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Defensive driving with your Escape

Recently I saw some photos of a 5.0 that had been rear ended in traffic.

What types of defensive things do you do when towing?

One thing I do is I turn on my emergency flashers when traffic slows, Or there is some issue causing me to slow down. Wrecks, construction zones, etc.

There are so many distracted drivers out there.

I also carry an array of hazard flashers and reflectors should I find myself broke down on a dark road.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #2

I carry one of these in my TV and one in trailer. Each light can work and charge independently or in this configuration.

It puts out 2000 lumens.
Attached Thumbnails
7AB22647-8CFA-4F9A-95A8-4E337A30AA81.jpg  
Old 11-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #3

Recently we broke down in my wife’s car. Bad alternator. We lost all power including all lights along a busy dark road. 2 hr wait for a tow truck. When we got the car home I stocked all the vehicles with three of these emergency flairs.
Attached Thumbnails
BB1D4AF0-9A71-4149-BAC5-69D439D1572D.jpg  
Old 11-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have some LED hazard triangles, which reminds me, I should check the batteries.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have put a switch in the trailer so that I can flash all my trailer lights should I have to separate it from the tow vehicle.
I have removed the spare tire from the rear so it is less likely to be pushed into the body.
I have welded on bumperetts to help protect the body.
I have added approved reflect tape to the rear bumper.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

One thing I do is I turn on my emergency flashers when traffic slows, Or there is some issue causing me to slow down. Wrecks, construction zones, etc.

There are so many distracted drivers out there.

I also carry an array of hazard flashers and reflectors should I find myself broke down on a dark road.
As the sargent on Hill Street Blues would say, "Be careful out there, it's a jungle."

I tow with the same mentality as I ride a motorcycle or fly in close proximity to other aircraft. It's an awareness that a mistake by anyone around me could ruin my day. Situational awareness. I'm always monitoring traffic behind me and if traffic suddenly starts slowing or I see that traffic ahead is slowing I pump the brakes. Sometimes not even enough to actually start slowing but to pulse the brakes lights and add extra visibilty. I like the dual rear lights at the rear. It adds an extra level of visibility.

Also I carry a reflective triangle to use if I'm forced to pull over in a high traffic area.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Lights

Quote:
I carry one of these in my TV and one in trailer. Each light can work and charge independently or in this configuration.

It puts out 2000 lumens.
So what is the brand and model of your light? It looks impressive
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use/recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Roa...a-905823799135
Old 11-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
A secondary benefit of a Stowaway box or cargo carrier on the rear is some protection in the event of a rear end accident. In our case if the vehicle is tall they'll run into the box. If the vehicle is lower hopefully they run into the heavy duty riser in the receiver. It also has bright LED lights that supplement the trailer lights. The 21 I had modified for viator36's mini-split was rear ended in Georgia. The extended rear bumper and an empty, folded bike rack saved the trailer from any major damage. The mini-split condenser survived with only a small dent and a bent mounting foot. There most likely would have been damage to the trailer shell with just the standard bumper.

Something like this that goes into the receiver and extends rearward could also be used for some protection if one does not have a rear box/cargo carrier or bike rack:
https://www.amazon.com/Go-Rhino-360T...84440569&psc=1

I was almost in an accident yesterday on the highway when someone coming up in the left lane very fast took the middle lane as I was moving over from the right lane. Looking over my shoulder and a quick reaction saved me. Drive safe my friends.
Attached Thumbnails
atsion.jpg   stowaway2.JPG   blue ox riser.jpg  
Old 11-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim, those would also be great Christmas presents for some of your favorite peeps! Thanks!
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I'm ordering some for myself............!
Old 11-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Talking Driving with idiots

Most of my career was in outside sales. I average depending upon the position 30 to 60,000 miles a year in a company car. I averaged one moving violation every 10 years and one traffic collision every eight years. I was always dead stopped and had somebody run into the back of me. No matter what you do sooner or later one of the idiots out there is going to get you. You can do those protective measures that make sense. Keep your driving safe in saying but we can't protect ourselves from idiots.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #13

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
In 45 years of driving I've only been involved in two accidents, rear-ended twice, both times while stopped. Sometimes there's nothing you can do.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Please don't use your four-way flashers when you're not moving more slowly than other traffic. It just adds to the general level of distraction, with the crude combined signal and stop lamps of a trailer it obscures the stop (braking) indication, and on any vehicle it keeps the turning indication from working. When the traffic ahead of and behind you is moving at the same speed that you are, the extra flashing is pointless.

Quote:
That's a good idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 E19
The older I get the more I do my best to not be driving after dark, especially when towing something.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Be sure to check these periodically. I got mine out a few weeks back and 2 of 5 were not working. Cleaned up and replaced batteries and got them all going.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Please don't use your four-way flashers when you're not moving more slowly than other traffic. It just adds to the general level of distraction, with the crude combined signal and stop lamps of a trailer it obscures the stop (braking) indication, and on any vehicle it keeps the turning indication from working. When the traffic ahead of and behind you is moving at the same speed that you are, the extra flashing is pointless.
Interestingly, this is kind of cultural, but I agree that since flashers are not normally used this way in North America, it can be ineffective here.

I recall travelling to South Korea in the late 1990's and noticing that it was very normal that all drivers on a highway would activate the hazards when running into a slowdown. A sea of blinking 4-way flashers was the common visual clue that a driver was approaching a slowdown. It worked just fine.

Here in the US, this isn't all that common, and a more normal sign of a slowdown here is a sea of brake lights being on. I'm not sure, visually, there is much difference as long as all drivers do the same thing.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post

I recall travelling to South Korea in the late 1990's and noticing that it was very normal that all drivers on a highway would activate the hazards when running into a slowdown. A sea of blinking 4-way flashers was the common visual clue that a driver was approaching a slowdown. It worked just fine.
I've also seen that in Mexico in construction zones where there's a flag person. I think that it's very effective, especially for the workers, to see a visual indication that the driver's have acknowledged the situation and folks there do seem to obey slower speed reguirements.

Maybe it would be worth trying here. We get flaggers and workers killed by ignorant drivers blasting through construction zones.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #19

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Interestingly, this is kind of cultural, but I agree that since flashers are not normally used this way in North America, it can be ineffective here.

Here in the US, this isn't all that common, and a more normal sign of a slowdown here is a sea of brake lights being on. I'm not sure, visually, there is much difference as long as all drivers do the same thing.
In the U.S., big rig drivers are required by law to use 4-way flashers on freeways if travelling at 45 mph or less when other traffic is travelling at normal speeds, usually used due to mechanical or tire issue or when climbing or descending steep grades. They will also typically use them when slowing down due to traffic slow downs. These situations would all be appropriate for use when hauling a TT.
Clearwater Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

That's a good idea.

I use them when traffic slows or come to a stop when it should be moving Not at regular speeds. I also put them on when approaching patrol cars on side of road with flashing lights.

I have had two separate wa state troopers give me a thumbs up as I passed by.