Delete Range Hood? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
At least on my stainless hood, a non-magnetic version was used. Some stainless is slightly to mildly magnetic. Depends on the alloy type.
Same here. I added a piece of painted steel to mine so my magnetic thermometer has a home.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I can't take credit for the chemistry, it comes directly from the linked article.

I was schooled prior to The United States Metric Board being abolished in 1982 by then President, Ronald Reagan. So, I understand and would be comfortable if the United States, moved forward with the Metric conversion it abandoned. Unfortunately, the anti-science crowd, has been more emboldened in recent years. We seem to be moving backwards, rather than forwards.
You got that right, stay off the beach to remain safe…

It’s real easy to just say lets start using the much more logical metric system, and it is, but implementing it into our daily lives isn’t worth the bother. Just with sports alone it would fail.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
You got that right, stay off the beach to remain safe…

It’s real easy to just say lets start using the much more logical metric system, and it is, but implementing it into our daily lives isn’t worth the bother. Just with sports alone it would fail.
We changed over in Canada in the late 70's and it was quite easy. Our biggest hindrance is having to deal with the US market. Well, that and a few older folks not wanting to change. Anyone here under 40-50 has trouble with the old ways. I can do both, though temperature and distance and most weights now are awkward.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Just imagine trying to use the Metric System at the Olympics. D'oh!!!
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Quote:
Just imagine trying to use the Metric System at the Olympics. D'oh!!!
This is starting to verge on a political, religious or firearm debate. I'm sorry for even mentioning non-SI units. Maybe we can stop now?
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlandFlyFisher View Post
This is starting to verge on a political, religious or firearm debate. I'm sorry for even mentioning non-SI units. Maybe we can stop now?
It is unfortunate that SI units and science are considered a political subject.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
It is unfortunate that SI units and science are considered a political subject.
They're not. It's the advocacy that can turn political. Nothing wrong with a healthy back and forth though - as long as it doesn't devolve.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I suppose I could learn another math system, I learned "new" math in the 1960s. The ONLY one in my family that could help me was my 70+ y/o grandfather, because it was the way he learned math. Even I think saying freezing is 32F is nutty. Zero sounds
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Even I think saying freezing is 32F is nutty. Zero sounds
My brain cannot handle Celsius.

I still have to convert to Fahrenheit to feel how warm it is.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My brain cannot handle Celsius.

I still have to convert to Fahrenheit to feel how warm it is.
I am the opposite. When travelling in the US I always have to convert. Celsius is so much simpler and easy to use. At least hitting Mexico things were back to normal.

Try to get anyone under 40 in Canada to understand Fahrenheit, it would be very hard.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm at an age where most of my generation didn't really make any effort to start using metric. Most have adapted to metric weather because it's in their face every day and to kph because they also see it and speed limit signs every day. Because of the things I do I had to become pretty bi-measurement.

To the point that I'm a bit self conscious of which system I use. If I'm mentoring an engineering student I wouldn't dream of using Imperial. I'd only get a blank look. But a few minutes later heading out to the parking lot I might mutter to a contemporary "look at that idiot parked a foot from my door."

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm at an age where most of my generation didn't really make any effort to start using metric. Most have adapted to metric weather because it's in their face every day and to kph because they also see it and speed limit signs every day. Because of the things I do I had to become pretty bi-measurement.

To the point that I'm a bit self conscious of which system I use. If I'm mentoring an engineering student I wouldn't dream of using Imperial. I'd only get a blank look. But a few minutes later heading out to the parking lot I might mutter to a contemporary "look at that idiot parked a foot from my door."

Ron
I grew up in Canada, where I lived most of my life, and have been here in the U.S. for 15 years. I tend to switch the weather apps on my watch and smart phone between Celsius and Fahrenheit frequently (I guess I'm a Camerican). Mileage and temperature are easiest for me to convert. Weight is reasonably easy. Gallons to liters, not so much. But converting acres to hectares? Arghh! For science, metric is the way to go.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #33

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Never had a range hood in our Scamp, but I was tempted to delete our range hood from our Escape build because I always read about so many Casita owners removing theirs due to bumped heads, etc.
Decided to get it since they didn't discount the price if deleted, and now I'm glad we got it. We use it whenever we use the cooktop and the light is often used at night. No head bumping issues either.

On another C/F note, I was watching a Canadian show "Heartland" the other day and they mentioned one of the horses had a temperature of 39. In my mind I thought how could he survive if its temperature got so low, and then I remembered, the temp was in Celsius, not F.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #34

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Never had a range hood in our Scamp, but I was tempted to delete our range hood from our Escape build because I always read about so many Casita owners removing theirs due to bumped heads, etc.
Decided to get it since they didn't discount the price if deleted, and now I'm glad we got it. We use it whenever we use the cooktop and the light is often used at night. No head bumping issues either.

On another C/F note, I was watching a Canadian show "Heartland" the other day and they mentioned one of the horses had a temperature of 39. In my mind I thought how could he survive if its temperature got so low, and then I remembered, the temp was in Celsius, not F.
I forgot about the light. Would certainly miss that!

For a lot of years Canadian made television was felt to be inferior (especially by Canadians) but the last 10 years or so it has really come on strong and making some excellent TV. My wife is a Heartland addict. Has watched every season at least a couple of times!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I was tempted to delete our range hood from our Escape build because I always read about so many Casita owners removing theirs due to bumped heads, etc.
Bathroom sinks are another one of those items that are issues with other brands of trailers and not with Escapes. To my knowledge only a couple of people have felt the need to remove the Escape sink. But, many people have ordered their trailer without a sink, because of poor sink placement and design in other brands of trailers.

BTW, I actually only know of one person who felt the need to remove the Escape sink, but, as soon as a say only one, there is bound to have been a second or third that I wasn't aware of.

And to everyone who ordered their Escape without the sink and say they are happy, how do you really know it's better?
Old 05-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
And to everyone who ordered their Escape without the sink and say they are happy, how do you really know it's better?
You can never miss what you've never had.

Just took a shower this morning in Ten Forward. Used the sink to hold the soap dish, shampoo and wash cloth when I was done. Where else would I put this stuff? On the closed toilet seat How about the floor....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
After making numerous visits to personally examine Dave Murphy's 5.0 bath (endless gratitude, David!) I elected the sink delete (along with shower fixtures delete) and installed my own single-lever shower valve / shower head with other purpose-built provisions for soap, etc.

While I've shared my approach on this item (along with many other items) with folks here just as a matter of information, I've never claimed my choices about anything are "better" than anyone else's. I can assure you that I'm very happy with my bath, and that's really all that matters, isn't it?

Honestly, the not infrequent instances of folks 'advocating / challenging' that particular personal choices are 'better / worse', 'smarter / dumber', 'foolish / wise' etc. on this forum are truly baffling to me.

Sharing personal experience and opinion is swell and useful, but even remotely alluding to judgment (distinct from constructive critique) about the personal choices of others has no place or benefit to anyone here, IMO.

One 'size' does not fit all, YMMV, thank goodness we're not all clones of each other, the world would be an unendingly dull place if we were.

Wishing everyone Happy Trailering in a trailer that's Built for You (whether by ETI and/or DIY modification). .
Old 05-04-2022, 03:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Honestly, the not infrequent instances of folks 'advocating / challenging' that particular personal choices are 'better / worse', 'smarter / dumber', 'foolish / wise' etc. on this forum are truly baffling to me.
For someone who has never bought a trailer or, in particular an Escape, hearing the pros and cons of any element is valuable.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
For someone who has never bought a trailer or, in particular an Escape, hearing the pros and cons of any element is valuable.
I agree, please note "Sharing personal experience and opinion is swell and useful ...."; those comments lend to better informed decisions.

IMO that's quite different from the 'challenge' advanced by Mr. Martin in this instance: "....how do you really know it's better?" and the gibe offered by Ms D: "You can never miss what you've never had."
Old 05-04-2022, 04:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
and the gibe offered by Ms D: "You can never miss what you've never had."
Well, I miss the 19' ( like my buddy has ) after buying a 17'.