Delicate topic from a dry camper.... black water tank - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Compositing toilet is the route I'm going. No water usage and no stinky slinky to worry about. Plus I get to pass all those long lines of "dumpers" at the rest stop coming back into the city.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Compositing toilet is the route I'm going. No water usage and no stinky slinky to worry about. Plus I get to pass all those long lines of "dumpers" at the rest stop coming back into the city.
What will you do with the grey water?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is the concern with the stinky slinky ( other than the name )?
I don't think about mine at all.
As for line-ups, I just use the app Sanidumps.com and avoid the busy one on the highway.
From what I've read, these composting toilets need the urine and solids kept separate to work. Where are you going to store the urine, and how is that better than storing a hose?
Old 11-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #24

I think technology exists that would allow you to filter the urine and add it to the fresh water tank. I think it's fairly costly, but there are cities investigating the process. I don't think they separate the solids though.
Didn't watch:
Old 11-04-2016, 05:41 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I didn't have the undercarriage foam, I'd have put on a Tornado tank rinse system or some such. As I have the foam I use a Flush King. I also spray out the tank with a regular garden hose nozzle via the toilet once in a while, at least as much as one can. Gives you a chance to clean below the valve too.

Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection - Camco 40126 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World

Flush King Reverse RV Flush Valve, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com
Old 11-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob, I believe your black tank as most other Escape owners is not under the trailer but inside and some have installed the tank rinser. I believe Jon V. did on his 17 Escape.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Bob, I believe your black tank as most other Escape owners is not under the trailer but inside and some have installed the tank rinser. I believe Jon V. did on his 17 Escape.

Now that you mention it, I guess I could have done it. Would have to disassemble some woodwork to see how it could be done. It's under the closet and steps, as well as the head.

At this point the Flush King is fine. I own it, it works, and it's easy.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I also use the Flush King. In addition to that, I dump my dish water (use a plastic bin in sink when doing dishes) into the toilet. That seems to increase the amount of liquid going into the grey tank which increases the time it takes for the grey tank to fill up.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have seen some test videos of the Flush King that show it does not work so well, especially if there are bends in the drain lines. And even with a straight shot to the tank, it doesn't rinse the sides of the tank, and the tank sensors at all.

In this video the Tornado Rinser seems to work best. A few other good insights here, like do not trust a clear pipe section to indicate the cleanliness of the tank.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did add a Tornado Rinse system to my black tank (as well as a standard non-spinning rinse system to the gray). I generally rinse the black tank every 3-4 dumps, and before putting the trailer away for the season.

They are useful, will get the tank level indicators back to working for a tank full or two, but do depend on a water source with a threaded hose connection, something rarely found at dump stations. I carry a separate hose for the rinse even though both systems have back flow preventers.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I just watched that video and I'm sold on the Tornado as an effective tank rinser. Anything employing water under pressure clearly out performs a passive drain process. I just don't understand how to install it on the side walls of my black tank. Do I then have to crawl under the trailer to connect a hose to it? Not going to do that.

Think I'll go to the store looking for a right angle hose attachment to shove down the open toilet to clean off walls, etc. Also like adding ice cubes to the tank to slosh around on the drive to the dump station.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think technology exists that would allow you to filter the urine and add it to the fresh water tank. I think it's fairly costly, but there are cities investigating the process. I don't think they separate the solids though.
Didn't watch:
Amazing and informative . Thankyou Glenn . Wouldn't this system be ideal on all our homes . We have been distilling our own water to drink for about 22 years now , but we are still bathing and washing our clothes in tap water Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #33

Reace drilled three additional holes in my wand that direct the water up at a 45 degree angle. The wand came with holes at a 90 degree angle. This allows the spray to hit all tank surfaces.
As for the ice cubes, save them for drinks. There is a video on line somewhere showing a clear plexi tank driven around on the back of a pickup truck. The ice cubes just slosh around, disturbing nothing.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Now having the trailer over a year, I find that just adding more water to the black tank makes everything work a lot better. Also after you dump, just fill the black tank about a third full with water and let it slosh around till your next place you can dump. Really cleans things up. I have also started to add Calgon to both tanks and this has helped. At the end of the season I then use the wand with very high water pressure.

The shower and toilet are great to have in the trailer and I use as much as needed. I just got done cleaning the shower and tanks yesterday and they look like the day they came out of the factory. As for using public facilities, there are to many that are absolutely gross. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #35

The Flush King may not be perfect but I do see a lot of c#%@ get flushed out on the 2nd and even 3rd pass. Usually takes a couple partial back fills to get the water to come out clean, or as clean as I care to wait for.

If anyone attempts a Tornado on the fifth wheel post some pictures.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22484-W.../dp/B000EDOSKG

For those hoses without threads
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #37

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
the crapper is meant to crap in. Goodness the thing works GREAT! we live on board 6-7 month at a time and use the system A LOT. Just before breaking camp I fill the black tank to full. Then we dump at the dump station. Easy, peasy. Wand? we have one but don't really see why one would need to hose out the tank. Stuck logs maybe? Seems as the flood washes them out!

we seem to dump the tank every 2-4 days so odor isn't really a problem. We've used deodorizers a few times but.... only a few.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
the crapper is meant to crap in.

steve
Yup, that's why it's there. No contest when choosing between using my always clean trailer toilet or an iffy camp facility.

Never use any additives. I do the outside dump valves and hand my wife the rinse out hose through the opening bathroom window. Love that window. She gives the tank a hose down, we do that every dump if there's a hose available. No problems, no odor. If the tank gage is confused as to the content level, well, like an outhouse, look down the hole.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is a good idea to fill the black tank before dumping. We do not fill it but just add a good amount of water. That is perhaps best done the day before dumping. It should, however, have some gallons of water in there at all times unless winterized.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Go to Tanktechsrx.com and read the site, especially the Questions and Answers and watch the many you tube videos they have on the subject of tank maintenance and cleaning, especially the information on struvites and why your tank sensors stopped working.

Then go to SCDprobiotics.com and look at all of their products. SCD Probiotics makes the product for TanktechsRx but they also make cleaning solutions (BioKlean) which can be used for cleaning the sink, shower toilet, etc. They also make a probiotic liquid you can drink. The drinkable stuff looks and smells exactly the same as the cleaning solutions.

The stuff works as long as you aren't also adding chlorine or lysol type disinfectants as that will kill the probiotic.

SCD also makes stuff you can use in your composting toilet, septic tank and pig farm as well as in gardening.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote