Delicate topic from a dry camper.... black water tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Delicate topic from a dry camper.... black water tank

Hi there.

I currently use a porta-potty in my little Aliner - I know when it is clean - hosed out. Ah, the luxury of having a toilet with a black water tank.... but... HOW do your ensure it is clean and sanitary? I watched several youtube videos on the subject and I am wondering what/how you do with the dodo?? Wand? Connectors with hose hookups to flush back??

Airstream (a brief moment of consideration until I discovered Escape) has a built in hose connection to the tank to flush it out when you empty.

Okay... educate me my friends.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Delicate is putting it mildly!
Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Hi there.

I currently use a porta-potty in my little Aliner - I know when it is clean - hosed out. Ah, the luxury of having a toilet with a black water tank.... but... HOW do your ensure it is clean and sanitary? I watched several youtube videos on the subject and I am wondering what/how you do with the dodo?? Wand? Connectors with hose hookups to flush back??

Airstream (a brief moment of consideration until I discovered Escape) has a built in hose connection to the tank to flush it out when you empty.

Okay... educate me my friends.
Everybody poops..... just sayin'.

I only occasionally use a wand down the toilet to give it a good rinsing. Works fine. I do in a two or three times a year, and always try to do it before winterizing.

One of those spray cleaners you install in the tank would work too, I just think that the wand is nearly as easy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You "sanitize" it by dumping at a dump station when needed, and also rinse out the tank periodically with a tank wand. We are also in the habit of adding an inch or two of water to the tank when we first setup camp, and drop in one of those deodorizing tablets. Easy, peezy.

RV black tanks have been around for a very long time, and the maintenance is really easy to do, even without the automatic tank rinse like the Airstream.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's a black tank. It isn't supposed to be "sanitary". The microbes in the tank are what breaks down solids. If the probes don't give an accurate reading then one might use the 'wand' to try to get gunk off them. But, it isn't necessary, because you can see how full it is just by opening the trap.
If you use Odorlos or similar product you won't have any odors and the contents will get broken down faster.
When using a wand, I cover the bowl with plastic wrap with an X cut into it for the wand. That keeps me from getting splashed in the face. I use a wipes container to hold the trap open ( you do not want to let it close on the wand because you might damage the seal ).
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg   Toilet lever prop.jpg  
Old 11-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed those tank cleaners in at least 2 trailers, depending on your model, determines which tank is accessible. Even without the hose cleaners, with plenty of liquid, the solid contents will empty out, via gravity through your sewer hookup into the cg dump location. Adding more liquid will help clean out the tank. Put everything away and then enjoy the use of your indoor plumbing, so to speak.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Adding to the wisdom of the previous posts, here is this: don't poop into the black only pee and then, usually only night-time peeing. Use campground toilets. Try to use the black tank only for emergencies while enroute or when someone is too ill to get to the CG outhouse.

These "best practices" which we adopted from other forum members keep maintainence of the black tank to a minimum.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 19'
After dumping I (or Dian) put a couple of pails of water into the toilet as a rinse. Then I close the valve and put a pail of water down the toilet with the sanitizing chemical. It sloshes around on the trip home and seems to keep things moving.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Adding to the wisdom of the previous posts, here is this: don't poop into the black only pee and then, usually only night-time peeing. Use campground toilets. Try to use the black tank only for emergencies while enroute or when someone is too ill to get to the CG outhouse.

These "best practices" which we adopted from other forum members keep maintainence of the black tank to a minimum.

Larry
I do that too Larry. I try to camp next to the restrooms.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Larry
All that works as long as you're in a campground with some sort of toilet. Doesn't work when you're camping in BLM land... think the Quartzsite gathering at Dome Rock in February. 200 all-molded-towables and not one drop of water or outhouse to be found.... for a week!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... think the Quartzsite gathering at Dome Rock in February. 200 all-molded-towables and not one drop of water or outhouse to be found.... for a week!
I'd be cross-eyed

Perhaps Imodium?

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All that works as long as you're in a campground with some sort of toilet. Doesn't work when you're camping in BLM land... think the Quartzsite gathering at Dome Rock in February. 200 all-molded-towables and not one drop of water or outhouse to be found.... for a week!
True. I'm one of those who don't quite understand the reluctance to use the trailer's toilet. That's what it's there for.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use it if I have to... if there's options, I take advantage of that based on convenience and time of the day. I'm just grateful I have a flushy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Right after dumping, we put two gallons of water with a chemical pack. There are always two gallons of water unless we are winterized. Then it is two gallons of anti-freeze instead.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:

Larry
This is pretty much what I always do. I like the stroll to the CG facilities.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
True. I'm one of those who don't quite understand the reluctance to use the trailer's toilet. That's what it's there for.

Other than the dumping part, no tank maintenance is required, its optional. I've even given up on the chemicals. Of course the black tank monitor fails to respond appropriately, but there are other ways to figure out how full the tank is. If you want my wand, send me a self addressed box c/w postage and I'll send it to you.

There was, ahem, one instance when we had a slight blockage from wipes. Evil stuff Resulted in a flash flood. We don't throw those in the toilet anymore. Speaking of wiping material, we've also given up the single ply tp. Its half the tp, twice the price, and not necessary. Regular paper works fine. Just stay away from card stock
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Me either. Then there are the ads for sale where they say that they never used the toilet.
LOL. Are they kidding?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
I'm with you.

The black tank is well sealed..... never worried much about making sure the interior is spotless.

never had odor problems.

and

It is the one toilet seat + bathroom that I know is decently clean.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I'm with you.

It is the one toilet seat + bathroom that I know is decently clean.

John
Amen to that
Old 11-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #20

Quote:
For me it is not a reluctance, but instead a preference. I am glad it is there.