Delivery Alternatives - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
Delivery Alternatives

We are considering purchase of a new Escape 19. The cost to deliver to us in Michigan (north of Detroit, around 2500 miles) would be approx $5500, ouch! Since we will be expecting our Escape to be ready late February and have a reservation for Lakeland, Florida in March I am not sure I want to travel to the west coast at that time of year to pick it up. Anyone used other methods for delivery?
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerdoug View Post
The cost to deliver to us in Michigan (north of Detroit, around 2500 miles) would be approx $5500, ouch!

I believe the price shown is Canadian dollars and not USD. Depending on the exchange rate, it would be less than $5,500. You could also have them deliver it to another location of your choice between ETI and your residence. That might soften the costs while providing a memorable pickup trip.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The drive from Escape to Lakeland might be okay as long as you stick to the coast till you get down near AZ. The drive from MI to Escape maybe not so good if you are in a hurry. If you took your time and moteled it you could always hole up for a couple days if it's snowing.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
We are considering purchase of a new Escape 19. The cost to deliver to us in Michigan (north of Detroit, around 2500 miles) would be approx $5500, ouch! Since we will be expecting our Escape to be ready late February and have a reservation for Lakeland, Florida in March I am not sure I want to travel to the west coast at that time of year to pick it up. Anyone used other methods for delivery?
I also think that must be CAD. Our original quote for delivery to Goshen Indiana was $4200 CAD or $5500 CAD to eastern NY. We went for an in-between destination and then we took it directly to our first camping location. The currency conversion was very favorable at the time; not sure how it has been lately . One of the nice things about the delivery is that our 19 came on a flatbed so there were no miles put on it. The other factor was that we just didn't that much time to spend on the road.

So, another idea would be to look at the map and have them deliver it in the direction of Lakeland, which is where you want to be, and meet it on the road. This would save you a few days of time which could be better spent enjoying your new trailer rather than spending that time towing it.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

Winter trip to pickup Escape and back

I would try to make the trip, but my wife would be on the edge of her seat. I will try to find a third party service with a flatbed to pickup and deliver the trailer. A round trip out west and back certainly will be pretty expensive and tiring, and not the best time for camping with a new trailer. A few months later in the season and I would go for it.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #6

I am considering the options, of a delivery part way. Since we have a site reserved in Lakeland, Florida in late March, I will be checking the map and distances for a favorable pickup point.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
I would try to make the trip, but my wife would be on the edge of her seat. I will try to find a third party service with a flatbed to pickup and deliver the trailer. A round trip out west and back certainly will be pretty expensive and tiring, and not the best time for camping with a new trailer. A few months later in the season and I would go for it.
I looked into finding a cheaper 3rd party option but ended up with ETI's trucker, Torey, who is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet - super helpful when the wife is on the edge of her seat !
Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I believe the price shown is Canadian dollars and not USD. Depending on the exchange rate, it would be less than $5,500.
Yes, it is Canadian as ETI is a Canadian company. Based on current exchange rate it's about $4,500 USD.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
I am considering the options, of a delivery part way. Since we have a site reserved in Lakeland, Florida in late March, I will be checking the map and distances for a favorable pickup point.
You might not save a lot of money, but having ETI deliver it to Kansas City or St Louis rather than up into MI or somewhere out on the Great Plains might save you a lot of white knuckle time.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
.... A few months later in the season and I would go for it.
You could ask Escape to store your completed trailer for you and make the trip out when it is more convenient/comfortable for you to do so.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
You might not save a lot of money, but having ETI deliver it to Kansas City or St Louis rather than up into MI or somewhere out on the Great Plains might save you a lot of white knuckle time.
Our 19 was shipped with another trailer. You could ask ETI if the cost would be lower if they can combine with another delivery.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Our 19 was shipped with another trailer. You could ask ETI if the cost would be lower if they can combine with another delivery.
From the Delivery Schedule page on the ETI website:
We do offer trailer delivery throughout North America for those owners who are unable to pick their trailer up. The cost for delivery is calculated at a rate of $2.20/mile for a single delivery. If we are able to combine deliveries two trailer will receive a discount of $0.20/mile. (Updated 16Aug2017)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I've contracted with truckers thru Uship.com to ship trailers and antique tractors (my other hobby) and always been satisfied enough to tip the drivers. Worth checking out, although I don't know if any members can pick up in Canada. Sumas would be no problem.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I was the very first Escape owner to use Let It Ride Carriers, it was arranged through uShip. As a result they made Let It Ride their standard carrier. Still, at that time, using Let It Ride via uShip, ETI supervised the loading of the tractor/trailer with our three trailers and they handled all the paperwork and added the cost to the invoice for the trailer. So it became an ETI shipment.

I have also negotiated a shipment of an Escape to a buyer on the west coast. The deal fell through when the uShip carrier showed up for pickup and could not produce a bill of lading or proof of insurance. The prospective buyer pulled the plug, and rightly so.

I can take you through all the precautions in using uShip. I would certainly use them but you need to know what you are doing.

That said, I do not think that ETI will work with you on this. It is their carrier or a pickup in Sumas. Now you could fly to the area, complete the paperwork in Chilliwack, take delivery in Sumas and then turn the delivery over to a shipper of your choice. All without towing the trailer a mile. I think you would have to be present, however.

In the past a rate of $1 per mile has been used. However, the variable is towed or trailered.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, transportation