Delivery charges - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2022, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Delivery charges

Wonder how many look at the invoice for their tow vehicle?
Keep in mind that thousands of vehicles are delivered to dealers in one market. It ain't cheap.
And what is "air"?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 9.24.53 PM.png  
Old 02-03-2022, 05:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Wonder how many look at the invoice for their tow vehicle?
Keep in mind that thousands of vehicles are delivered to dealers in one market. It ain't cheap.
And what is "air"?
Yep n that’s where you inform your salesperson if he wants the sale he has to take that off the price if not start walking to the next dealership I havent paid that n a couple of other add on charges on my last 4 vehicles
Old 02-03-2022, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Yep n that’s where you inform your salesperson if he wants the sale he has to take that off the price if not start walking to the next dealership I havent paid that n a couple of other add on charges on my last 4 vehicles
Well, in the end the total price on the vehicle is negotiable (or at least, it was before the 'chip shortage'). But actually the delivery fee is a real cost, and it does pretty much reflect what it costs to get the vehicle from factory to dealer. It's not an invented fee, and it usually isn't a line item that is inflated (see: documentation fee) to pad profits.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Well, in the end the total price on the vehicle is negotiable (or at least, it was before the 'chip shortage'). But actually the delivery fee is a real cost, and it does pretty much reflect what it costs to get the vehicle from factory to dealer. It's not an invented fee, and it usually isn't a line item that is inflated (see: documentation fee) to pad profits.
Totally agree some fees are not “invented to pad the commissions” but I still haven’t paid them and wouldn’t of is gmc hadn’t mandated that to get the max tow package with the 3:42 rear end one has to go with the 6.2 I think engine I’d of ordered a new truck this past November. Final negotiated price didn’t have those fees included but when it was put in computer up the denied unless I went to bigger engine sale canceled now looking a the F150 ugh
Old 02-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
First off, I hate playing the dealership's new car buying game. Hate with all caps.

When buying new vehicles I have always negotiated on the Total Cost Package. I find it best to never get deep down in the weeds in the dealership's secret world of car/truck pricing. I always get asked "where did you come up with that number?". Either they want to sell a car/truck at a price I'm willing to pay or they won't.

All of my previous buys, Pre-Chip Era, I've always found someone who is willing to sell. I once bought a Toyota Tundra 4x4 truck in Atlanta on a sales trip and had it delivered to St. Louis for 12% less than any St. Louis area dealer was willing to sell the same truck for off their lot.

Rarely have I bought from anyone within 150 miles from my home. I figure Chilliwack will be the farthest purchase so far.

Plus, I never let the highest paid guy at the dealership, finance guy, sell me any of their highly profitable add ons. There are reasons why he's paid top dollar. I tell him an interest rate I will sign through him or I will get my loan from another source. Typically 1/2 to 1 % less than what they first offer.

There are a lot of middlemen at the dealership making a good profit off your money. FYI, that Free Cash Wash is not Free.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
... I havent paid that n a couple of other add on charges on my last 4 vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Well, in the end the total price on the vehicle is negotiable...
I believe that Jeffery's point is that it doesn't matter what the price is supposedly comprised of, what you are paying is a total. Whether the deal is to "leave out the $1000 delivery charge" or "take $1000 off the vehicle price", the effect is the same - you'll be offered whatever makes you feel that you got a better deal, and it won't make any difference to where the money goes. You have paid for delivery, because it was delivered.

This is what happens with trade-ins. If a dealership is offering you much more than your trade-in is actually worth, they are not really overpaying for your old junk... they're just calling the negotiated discount on the new vehicle a "trade-in credit". I suppose that it helps to perpetuate the idea that the price of new vehicle is fixed (putting the dealership in a better position with other customers), and makes the buyer feel that their old car is special, and therefore so are they. I suppose it also helps that a few thousand dollars extra on the trade-in seems like a big win, compared to the same few thousand dollars discount on the much larger amount of the new vehicle price. They may even accompany the trade-in offer with "logic" such as needing your make and model for their used department, even if they're just going to bounce it out to auction, to make it seem like this is anything other than an basic game of pricce negotiation.

In general I find add-on items to be the mark of a slimy retailer. Of course there are costs to delivery, and pre-delivery preparation, and even administration paperwork... but they're all just some of the many costs of business. They don't itemize your vehicle's share of the rent on the dealership building, and there's no reason to itemize these things... except to allow them to advertise one price and charge a higher price. Imagine if at the grocery checkout the total at the end included not just the total of the all of the price tags on the items, but delivery charges, store security fees, parking surcharge, bagging fee (discounted of course on self-serve to make you feel like you're getting a deal), refrigeration system environmental fee, store lighting utility pass-through...

There are real, customer-specific, extra service costs. The price of an Escape is for pick-up at the factory or Sumas. If you want it shipped somewhere else, that costs money, it is specific to you, it isn't part of the trailer, and you can choose to buy it or not... so if you want it, you'll need to pay for it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Does anyone know if deliveries are taking place? I assume the Canadian truckers convoy is having a large effect on many deliveries.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While working at IRS I had the opportunity to examine local car dealerships. I learned a lot about sticker price and cost to dealer as well as factory incentives. The dealers are not losing money.....!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Does anyone know if deliveries are taking place? I assume the Canadian truckers convoy is having a large effect on many deliveries.
The nearest trucker blockade to ETI is in Alberta. Many other border crossings and many double vaccinated truck drivers ( 90 per cent ).
Old 02-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I doubt it's having any effect. There is a problem at the Coutts border crossing in Alberta, but an Escape delivery wouldn't cross there. In the news, I haven't heard of any significant events except at Coutts and in Ottawa. The vast majority of actual truck drivers have nothing to do with this protest group, so they are still working.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote