Delivery Driver tip? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2024, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 21C
Delivery Driver tip?

Well, we're expecting delivery of our trailer this Friday. Just wondering, is it customary to tip the driver? If so, how much?

Thanks.....
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton View Post
Well, we're expecting delivery of our trailer this Friday. Just wondering, is it customary to tip the driver? If so, how much?

Thanks.....
Craig
We tipped the transport driver that delivered Linda’s car. He did a good job and was respectful and polite. I think we tipped him $40, maybe a bit more. Guess it depends on what the value of good service is to you.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I remember Jim said he always tipped the driver(s) for all his delivered trailers AND gave them good suggestions on where to eat in the area. The drivers get tired of fast food and Jim made certain the tip would pay for a decent meal at a restaurant he suggested.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I remember Jim said he always tipped the driver(s) for all his delivered trailers AND gave them good suggestions on where to eat in the area. The drivers get tired of fast food and Jim made certain the tip would pay for a decent meal at a restaurant he suggested.
Donna brings up a great point. Linda’s car was delivered around 8pm on a cold, windy night with flurries. The driver was then headed west for 3 hours to deliver another car.

These drivers work hard!
Old 06-19-2024, 09:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Kinda confirms my instincts, was planning around $40. I can suggest a restaurant that's down the road as well, but also plenty of chain ones around too (e.g., a Bob Evans is 2 miles away, a family run "restaurant & saloon" about 3 miles away.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I didn't even think of tipping the trucker who delivered our wife's 2016 Mercedes E350 wagon, shipped from a dealer in Santa Fe NM to here in Santa Cruz, CA December 2020.... That shipment cost like $1200 or something, for a covered car carrier (it was mid winter, and the car was like new perfect). We paid a shipping broker, the driver was owner-operator, and was on a loop delivering cars to various dealers in the greater SF Bay Area. Since I knew his big rig wouldn't fit in our driveway, we met him in the parking lot of a closed Sears in the local mall, this worked great.

(wife inspecting car before signing off on delivery, thats the truck behind it)

we broke ALL our 'rules' on this purchase, and bought a car sight unseen without driving it. It was the ONLY used 2016 E350 Wagon 'luxury' available in the whole US, it was white, and had a beige interior, all of which were my wife's first choices. It was a CPO car, factory warranty for 3 years and thoroughly tested and vetted... 90% of the 2014-2016 E class cars we found were 'sports' and had a really rough ride on bad roads. 3 years later, my wife is still really happy with it. happy wife == happy life.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Team

I dunno, tip on a $1200 truck delivery, whats that, $250 ? anything less seems kind of insulting to the owner/operator.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 Roo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I dunno, tip on a $1200 truck delivery, whats that, $250 ? anything less seems kind of insulting to the owner/operator.

You never tip an owner.
Cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 04:27 PM   #9

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I've worked very hard all my life and I've never been tipped. Not once. Honestly, this new "every transaction gets a tip" thing has gone too far.

Restaurant waiters/waitresses or valets who work for a low wage + Tips are a different story.

I would offer the driver something like homemade cookies/cake/pie and hand written thank you note. Maybe something that's famous in your area. That shows more thanks than pulling some cold cash out of your pocket.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 07:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

I would offer the driver something like homemade cookies/cake/pie and hand written thank you note. Maybe something that's famous in your area. That shows more thanks than pulling some cold cash out of your pocket.
Next time we have a vehicle delivered to Idaho, I will give the drive a messy, loaded baked potato. I'm pretty sure they would rather have $40.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I tip for good service in many industries.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 06:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
A tip would never have occurred to me.

But then again, I have bought coffee for the roofing crew who did my house.
Old 06-27-2024, 09:48 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Just a question....
Waitress (wait persons) use to get paid minimun per hour so depended on tips.

well here in California they now get $20 dollars per hour, you know a living wage.
So do we no longer need to tip?
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 10:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 Roo
Correct
Cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 10:57 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cablebandit View Post
You never tip an owner.
I sometimes cringe at leaving a tip for a server that's had to be nagged several times to refill water glasses etc. But I actually happily tip the owner our our favorite Greek restaurant. Chronically short staffed, as most restaurants in this area are, he is busier than a one armed paperhanger. Seats, takes orders, acts as a server etc. Works harder than most servers. Last week I actually tipped 25%, a first. Today, if a server doesn't give us good service, maybe not so much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
Just a question....
Waitress (wait persons) use to get paid minimun per hour so depended on tips.

well here in California they now get $20 dollars per hour, you know a living wage.
So do we no longer need to tip?
$20/hour full time is about $3200/month. rent for a 1 BR apt around the greater SFBA often runs $2000+ per month, here in Santa Cruz you can't even find anything that cheap other than shared housing, like 6 people renting a 3 br rundown old house..
Old 06-27-2024, 02:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19 F1 (ordered)
Quote:

Hi Craig - I plan on tipping $100 if the delivery goes well and the driver is helpful etc. My trailer leaves on July 5th and will be delivered the following week.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:39 PM   #18

Great news! Yes, contrary to most of the postings, I did go ahead and tip. I agree that as an owner operator it might not have been expected, but I'm sure it was appreciated. Especially since our driver delayed a day of his driving due to storms (he didn't want to risk encountering hail).

Good news on your camper!
Old 06-27-2024, 02:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2024 Escape 19 F1 (ordered)
Quote:
Great news! Yes, contrary to most of the postings, I did go ahead and tip.
Its always appreciated. This is not some kid making pouring coffee at a Starbucks (one of my son's works in a coffee shop). The driving and delivery take a fair amount of TLC. Its a small price to pay in addition to the $2500 delivery fee, especially if the cargo arrived in mint condition.

How many days did it take for delivery - from the time it left Escape in Canada to you in Ohio?
Old 06-27-2024, 03:28 PM   #20

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Next time we have a vehicle delivered to Idaho, I will give the drive a messy, loaded baked potato. I'm pretty sure they would rather have $40.
You Idahoians really know the fine art of the potato. I'd bet you have some awesome secret recipes.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote