Delivery what to expect ( This is gettin real) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2022, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA
Delivery what to expect ( This is gettin real)

Our 5.0 is getting close to completion and all the required tasks are being addressed. We plan to accept delivery in Texas. Can anyone tell us what to expect at delivery Thanks
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Our 5.0 is getting close to completion and all the required tasks are being addressed. We plan to accept delivery in Texas. Can anyone tell us what to expect at delivery Thanks
I just picked my 5.0 last month, if you have the Andersen hitch as I did these were of help to me.

Centex saved me much headache by his way of bringing along long twist ties to tie off your release handle.something better to deal with your garage at home rather than the side of the road.

Also make sure you have what’s needed to attach your hitch box to your trailer kingpin, if I were to do it again I would take the time to practice this on another fifth wheel beforehand.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Give the delivery person some $$, he has been eating junk food for days and a good meal would be appreciated before heading back.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Give the delivery person some $$, he has been eating junk food for days and a good meal would be appreciated before heading back.

Don't you end up with 2 people: the delivery trucker, and the local tow operator to get the trailer off the delivery vehicle?

That would, then, be 2 complete plates of scrapple!

Edit: oh, wait: Texas: what about a giant meal from Buc-ee's?
Attached Thumbnails
2021-11-05 13.50.32.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Congrats, xring!

My 5.0 delivery at Denton last August is mentioned in this post, I've no idea if the transporter is still using the same specific location for that HUB, but a few pics of my delivery day are attached FYI. The trailer seen behind mine on the transport was also delivered to a customer at Denton.

I had plenty of time to visit with the friendly and IMO very competent transport driver while we waited for the (delayed) local wrecker to arrive for unloading. When they arrived, I stayed well-away taking pics until my trailer was on the ground. At that point you're pretty much on your own (at least I was, and that was fine with me).

I'll offer those delays can happen and should be anticipated as a contingency, it was late in the day when I was ready to actually hit the road, I was very glad that I had a planned overnight stopover only ~50 miles away at a friend's house. I was very glad to not feel any 'time crunch' upon the trailer being left for me to hitch and check-out, it's not a thing one wants to do under pressure; un-rushed triple-checking of everything is the order of the day, IMO.

Bottom line, it all went swell, the only 'hitch' being the desired one (trailer-to-truck )

I'll try to answer any specific questions you may have, feel free to drop me an email through the forum, we can then communicate easier via email if you like.

Just curious, what's your truck and what hitch are you using?
Attached Thumbnails
R IMG_1525.jpg   R IMG_1558.jpg   R IMG_1567.jpg   R IMG_1574.jpg  
Old 02-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both of my deliveries had one driver.....gave him a nice tip and directions to local pub.....
Old 02-09-2022, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a F150 5.0 V8 should have a rail mounted Andersen installed soon, Since It is a 5.0 pulling a 5.0 we thought about naming it Bookem Dano! but have settled on Tranquility Base due to our proximity to the Manned Spacecraft center, My childhood obsession with the space program and my 11th Birthday falling on the Day the Eagle touched down on the moon. Thanks for the Pics
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I just picked my 5.0 last month, if you have the Andersen hitch as I did these were of help to me.

Centex saved me much headache by his way of bringing along long twist ties to tie off your release handle.something better to deal with your garage at home rather than the side of the road.

Also make sure you have what’s needed to attach your hitch box to your trailer kingpin, if I were to do it again I would take the time to practice this on another fifth wheel beforehand.
I agree about Centex's recommendation about the release cable being wire tied until home.. That will take the pressure off on the pin box adapter.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I agree about Centex's recommendation about the release cable being wire tied until home.. That will take the pressure off on the pin box adapter.
I picked my 5.0 up from Escape in BC and they helped me install my andersen hitch to the pin box. Hopefully you can tell from the photo I just took in the dark that the handle for the cable release is bolted through a hole that is already in the steel just above the pin box. The cable is fed through a matching hole on the other side and that way the handle is easy to access on the drivers side without climbing into the box of the truck and no drilling necessary.

Make sure you have the tools you need for installing the red hitch block thing to the king pin on the trailer. Torque wrench, allen sockets, and sockets big enough for the bolts. And like Centex said, make sure you give yourself enough time to install and triple check your hookups. Even with Escapes help installing the hitch, it took a lot longer to do than I anticipated, adding un-needed stress to our first time driving with a new trailer.

One more thing, I can't remember who or the exact instructions (it might be worth calling them to ask) but they said don't expect the trailer brakes to be at full strength right away. They said to add extra gain via your brake controller for (I think) 15 to 20 full red light stops and then you can adjust the gain to an appropriate level. It's worth calling them to clarify as I found it very helpful advice.

Good luck and have fun with your new trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220210_012710567.jpg  
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27 View Post
I picked my 5.0 up from Escape in BC and they helped me install my andersen hitch to the pin box. Hopefully you can tell from the photo I just took in the dark that the handle for the cable release is bolted through a hole that is already in the steel just above the pin box. The cable is fed through a matching hole on the other side and that way the handle is easy to access on the drivers side without climbing into the box of the truck and no drilling necessary.

Make sure you have the tools you need for installing the red hitch block thing to the king pin on the trailer. Torque wrench, allen sockets, and sockets big enough for the bolts. And like Centex said, make sure you give yourself enough time to install and triple check your hookups. Even with Escapes help installing the hitch, it took a lot longer to do than I anticipated, adding un-needed stress to our first time driving with a new trailer.

One more thing, I can't remember who or the exact instructions (it might be worth calling them to ask) but they said don't expect the trailer brakes to be at full strength right away. They said to add extra gain via your brake controller for (I think) 15 to 20 full red light stops and then you can adjust the gain to an appropriate level. It's worth calling them to clarify as I found it very helpful advice.

Good luck and have fun with your new trailer!
I won't have anyone helping me install redblock pin adapter. I will have all the tools but the threading of the release cable requires a few extra washers and nuts that I would not rather have to deal with on the side of the road delivery.. Thanx for the heads up on the brake controller.. My pickup hub is 2 hrs from my driveway. I would imagine ETI supplied you with the extra nuts, washers required... I don't want to have to learn on the fly. Centex had good advice, wire ties, go home and figure it out. I will do the same installation
Old 02-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
Quote:
I won't have anyone helping me install redblock pin adapter. I will have all the tools but the threading of the release cable requires a few extra washers and nuts that I would not rather have to deal with on the side of the road delivery.. Thanx for the heads up on the brake controller.. My pickup hub is 2 hrs from my driveway. I would imagine ETI supplied you with the extra nuts, washers required... I don't want to have to learn on the fly. Centex had good advice, wire ties, go home and figure it out. I will do the same installation
The washers and nuts are already there. The little black bracket is removed from the equation and the washers and nuts needed are the ones that are holding that little bracket in place. But there's no wrong way so obviously do what you're most comfortable with. It will be nice to be able to get back home in a couple hours. We were on the opposite side of the country so tried to make sure everything was done as best we could while we were at ETI.
Attached Images

kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I won't have anyone helping me install redblock pin adapter.
As with all of my travels, my 5.0 pickup was solo, too.

I didn't have another 5th wheel pinbox for practice installing the Andersen Coupler Block before my pickup, but I did bench-test-assemble the safety chain bolts to the bare block (remember, the orientation of each must be correct to prevent interference with the lock-pin cable). I also 'exercised' the four setscrews on my workbench by running them deep through the block (mine were rather difficult to chase through the threads so I'm glad I'd recognized that beforehand with the block on the workbench to satisfy myself that nothing was cross-threaded or amiss). No, I did not lubricate the setscrews; methinks the 'dry and tight' fit is intended.

I did use a carpenter's square of the type pictured to ensure my coupler block was 'aligned straight' when I installed it at the delivery site. Just advance the setscrews at each corner a small bit at a time, alternating between them, to ensure the block ends-up with an even gap between it and the plate of the pinbox when tight.

The whole un-rushed coupler block installation process didn't take long at all (~10~15 minutes?) given that I did not mess with 'final mounting' of the locking cable, I just used the mentioned long zip-ties to temporarily secure it out of the way. I'd backed my truck to just short of the pinbox so set my tools on the bed within easy reach while doing the installation standing on the ground (tip - use the power jacks to set a comfortable pinbox working height for your stature).

I'm sure y'all will work it out just fine as I did, take your time, and Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
square.png