diesel - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
| Delica Canada | Mitsubishi Van Club these and similar are becoming popular with the 'outdoor' set. Once again diesel.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Didn't mention this yet, but when I was in Bogota Colombia a couple of weeks ago, I saw dozens of Chevy mid-size diesel trucks. It's essentially the same engine as the Duramax 2.8L Diesel that will be in the 2015 Colorado. You would not believe what workhorses these trucks are, and how much stuff they haul with them. Hard to kill.

It also doesn't hurt though, that diesel fuel is MUCH cheaper in Colombia than gasoline.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #23

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
diesel

When I replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee that has a hemi, it will probably be a GC with a diesel. I drove one the other day and the torque/acceleration was outstanding and here the price of diesel is just a little higher than premium which is what I use when towing. The articles about the dodge with the diesel are all favorable and the trans seems to be good if not overdone with 8 speeds when you have that much torque. I know the semis have a lot of gears but they pull a lot of weight and low rpm. I guess I'll have to remember to use the green handle at the pump and I still have a year to watch, read and learn.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I guess I'll have to remember to use the green handle at the pump
And I'll have to remember to use the yellow one. At Valero stations they're not green.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Except the VW market. TDI seems very popular. At least in BC.
True, but in most places TDi badges are still not on the majority of VWs. VW presumably knows their customers, and doesn't even offer diesel in the Tiguan (which would be a tug option for smaller Escape owners).

Although fuel is only perhaps 15% more expensive in the more expensive British Colombia areas than here in Alberta, that seems to be enough to tip consumers to paying more attention to fuel consumption. Perhaps the entire continent is on verge of starting to actually care about it, rather than just whining about it, and BC is on the leading edge.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Perhaps the entire continent is on verge of starting to actually care about it, rather than just whining about it, and BC is on the leading edge.
I think this is finally happening, not just in BC. The attitude by many that bigger is better, and more safer, is slowly giving way to paying attention to fuel consumption. Big is necessary for some uses, but definitely not all. How many pickups, both big and small, are out there, still being used as commuters, rarely hauling any kind of load? Still too many.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #27

$1.25 to $1.35 per litre for reg gas in the Vancouver area.
$1.43 to $1.48 per litre for diesel in Vancouver area.
According to the web .
Old 08-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
$1.25 to $1.35 per litre for reg gas in the Vancouver area.
$1.43 to $1.48 per litre for diesel in Vancouver area.
According to the web .
Wow, the price is sky high -- but, diesel there isn't much more than gas. Here in Texas, gas is going for about $3.39 per gallon, while diesel is a whole dollar more.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think this is finally happening, not just in BC. The attitude by many that bigger is better, and more safer, is slowly giving way to paying attention to fuel consumption. Big is necessary for some uses, but definitely not all. How many pickups, both big and small, are out there, still being used as commuters, rarely hauling any kind of load? Still too many.
Hi: Jim Bennett... The speed that most folks here in S. Wet Ontario drive at, tells me that the price of fuel is still too cheap!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #30

Just checked GasBuddy for the prices near me.
$1.22 for regular
$1.20 for diesel

I just about choked last weekend going to Salmon Arm, in BC, and seeing the fuel costs. Good thing I only had to do one partial fill.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... The speed that most folks here in S. Wet Ontario drive at, tells me that the price of fuel is still too cheap!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
We just need vehicles that go fast, and are still economical.

For many working types, the cost of fuel used by going faster, is more than worth it if they compare it to their costs in time. Not factoring in the costs of tickets should they get them.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #32

$1.37 to $1.42 litre according to gasbuddy.com in the Vancouver area.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

Jim, I hope you are right, but here in the states it seems that the SUV has become almost the standard size vehicle.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I recently read that diesel represents over 20% of VW sales. With some models much higher such as the Jetta, Jetta Sport Wagon, and Touareg (over 50%).
ATHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim, I hope you are right, but here in the states it seems that the SUV has become almost the standard size vehicle.
I am glad you raised this point, as it was on my mind. Many of my close friends in the US seem to drive Suburbans, or like sized SUVs, not just the smaller mid-sized ones. Only one I know pulls a trailer, and they just got it after many years of owning the vehicle.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #36

I know a lot of folks who own larger then really needed vehicles but for the most part they use them to travel and haul all the associated stuff. I used to have a 80s Blazer and to go on vacation back home in Maine with the then wife and my 2 kids for 2 weeks it was very tightly packed. When I went and took my dogs with me I had to rent a mini van no way would it fit in my Blazer. Perhaps the same is true with others flying is two expensive for a family of four plus car rental etc . Just a thought. I think the SUV has replaced the family wagon :} Though given a choice I would take a Chevy Concours wagon in an instant as a tug:}
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
I am glad you raised this point, as it was on my mind. Many of my close friends in the US seem to drive Suburbans, or like sized SUVs, not just the smaller mid-sized ones. Only one I know pulls a trailer, and they just got it after many years of owning the vehicle.
Yep - and they frequently fly past me (in our new Corolla that gets almost 40 mpg on the highway), even if I am going over the speed limit. My wife's sisters have them and say they like being up to high in traffic.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I am fortunate to use a Honda CR-Z hybrid for local driving at 43 mpg. Towing the Escape with a GMC Acadia gave us 15.5 mpg towing 6,700 miles back from Chilliwack. I know that the hybrid doesn't make economic sense, but gives me some "good feelings" wnen I buy gas.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I recently read that diesel represents over 20% of VW sales. With some models much higher such as the Jetta, Jetta Sport Wagon, and Touareg (over 50%).
Thanks - I was just going on anecdotal evidence (what I notice on the road), so it's good to have real numbers. What they show, of course, is that most VWs are not diesel, and even in the models for which diesel is a popular choice, almost half still go with gas. We're a long way from the European situation, which is why I still wonder just how successful the smaller diesel pickups will be.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #40

Quote:
I just about choked last weekend going to Salmon Arm, in BC, and seeing the fuel costs. Good thing I only had to do one partial fill.
Jim, since you're using Gas Buddy you have probably noticed this, but the sweet spot for fueling up going through B.C. is the Kamloops area. I plan my stops to fill just before leaving Alberta, and then within 100 km of Kamloops, then again outside of the core Vancouver area. Practicality of this depends on vehicle range, of course, and if you were to take a southern route across B.C. you would never touch the Kamloops area.