diesel - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think is funny. The only people who don't like that we don't pump our own gas in Oregon... are non-Oregonians! Remember, Oregonians voted for this. When we decide we want to change, we'll vote again.

This political statement brought to you by someone who voted for not pumping my own gas, the bottle bill and keeping all our Oregon coast beaches in the public domain
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Donna D... Here in the "Great white north" the Gubermints love the price structure of Fuel. Ether way, pumped for you, or pumped your self... they get their revenue from the tax's. That reminds me I gotta go fill up for our next trip... and fill my "Gerry" for the lawnmower too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #63

I would much prefer to pump my own fuel. We were in Oregon in March and the gas jockey let the gas cap swing against the side of my truck instead of hooking it on the fuel door then he tried to squeeze in as much diesel as possible and overfilled the tank so it ran down the side and left a puddle on the ground I had to drive through. He was very apologetic and offered to wipe it off the paint with a paper towel. Like I was going to let that happen!!! What a moron.

When I need fuel I usually drive across the border to Blaine where diesel is $3.96 per gal. A dozen beer are also picked up. I save about $40 on the fuel and $10 on the beer. Using my Nexus pass also means very short or no border line-ups.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #64

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hi Alf, too bad you can't easily go fill up in the US like we can

I can't recall filling up for $4 but I have a Canadian Tire gas receipt I still carry with the coupons, from 1973, $8.25 for the fill.

Now to get back on track with this diesel thread, having had diesels in the past I would certainly go for one again…if the premium to purchase wasn't so high

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #65

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Paul, you must be very close to the border as are we. My son usually picks up a 12 pack of beer when going over, I still haven't tried it since it's really no kosher, you're supposed to be out of the country for 48 hours! But he's never had an issue.
Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
It is still interesting to me that diesel is easier to refine from oil than gasoline, so it is cheaper to produce and used to be quite a bit cheaper than gasoline to buy. I found this on the subject: Why Diesel Costs More Than Gasoline

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #67

I do live fairly close to the border. I have 3 dirtbikes and 1 quad that I maintain so I also have a PO box I visit regularly. I'm always honest at the border coming back into Canada and if the value of the goods are under $200 and I have no more than a dozen beer I will not be sent in to pay duties. At least not yet!!! We have a number of friends that do the same thing without a problem. My total time in the States when I am picking something up and filling the truck is usually about 15 minutes.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think is funny. The only people who don't like that we don't pump our own gas in Oregon... are non-Oregonians! Remember, Oregonians voted for this. When we decide we want to change, we'll vote again.

This political statement brought to you by someone who voted for not pumping my own gas, the bottle bill and keeping all our Oregon coast beaches in the public domain
While I understand Donna's " non-Oregonians" sentiment, I understand the non-Oregonians dislike of the law. A few years ago while passing through NJ, the only other state that does not allow the customer to pump fuel, the gas jockey pumped a tank full of diesel into my gasoline powered truck because he "assumed it took diesel." While the retailer had to pay the costs to correct the "mistake," it cost me a day. Unfortunately, there are idiots everywhere, including Oregon. It is for that reason that regardless of what Oregonians want, I prefer the option of being able to do it myself, whether in NJ or Oregon or the People's Republic of Wherever. But I do agree with bottle bills and public domain of beaches!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #69

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Alberta is pretty much all self serve and I bet we have a vehicle with the wrong fuel in it about once a week, so there are idiots every where. Yes some people manage to get diesel in their gas vehicles too.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm neither for nor against pumping gas yourself. I just don't like government telling me what I can or can't do unless there is some compelling reason to do so. Telling me I'm untrained or unqualified to pump my own, or that gas fumes are toxic (yes, this is the rationale for such a law) isn't a compelling reason IMHO, but as Donna puts it, YMMV.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I like it, Donna. Do I get to be an honorary Oregonian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
Alberta is pretty much all self serve ........
Here in Calgary, all the Co-op gas bars, many of the Husky's, and a lot of the independants offer full serve as an option, though they do total way less than have the fuel stations.

I have never had an issue with a pump jockey's performance. Sure, they might have missed washing my windshield when busy, but nothing serious at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #72
Site Team

In the case of Oregon... it's not the government that's telling you what to do, it's the state's citizens.

We don't like billboards to blight our highways either. Voted for that one too! We'd rather you see the scenery than some advertisement for a motel down the road...
Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not strictly on topic, but watched the show Portlandia the other day. Enjoyed a couple episodes, but I think I'm done. I got the joke, I think.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:

One of the many, many things I like about going to Oregon is the fact that I don't have to pump my own gas! Especially when the weather is not nice. I did buy gas at 7 Feathers (a Native American owned gas station on what I presume is their land), and I saw a sign that said between midnight and 5:00 AM one could pump their own gas. I do not know if that is OK only on tribal lands there.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not strictly on topic, but watched the show Portlandia the other day. Enjoyed a couple episodes, but I think I'm done. I got the joke, I think.
Yeah, Keep Portland Weird!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #76

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Question

Quote:
In the case of Oregon... it's not the government that's telling you what to do, it's the state's citizens.
If one ascribes to the philosophy of Lincoln (government of the people, by the people, and for the people), it is the government that is telling people what they can and cannot do. But the question that remains unanswered is why would the citizens of Oregon want to tell drivers of four wheeled vehicles what they can and cannot do (it is my understanding that motorcyclists are exempted as a result of a law suit). So I would ask what is the compelling reason for not allowing customers to pump their own gas if they so desire. Or could it be that lifting the restriction might be taking the finger out of the dam, resulting in service stations no longer providing this service. Could it be that Oregonians are too lazy to get off their butts to pump their own gas? I'm not trying to insult anyone here; I would just like to understand if there are valid reasons for this restriction. I mean, more people die from smoking related causes than from pumping gas. When will Oregon outlaw tobacco usage?
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
LOL - this thread was moved out of another thread and now it needs to migrate into a political discussion one apparently.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
LOL - this thread was moved out of another thread and now it needs to migrate into a political discussion one apparently.
Umm.. we don't do politics here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Could it be that Oregonians are too lazy to get off their butts to pump their own gas? I'm not trying to insult anyone here; I would just like to understand if there are valid reasons for this restriction. I mean, more people die from smoking related causes than from pumping gas.
Oregon like many states has lots of revenue generation problems - big state, small population. The Gas pumping thing provides jobs. Many cities across the US have similar code in place. last time I looked you could pump your own diesel if it was at a pump apart from the gas pumps, however.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #79

Trailer: looking
Quote:

We don't like billboards to blight our highways either. Voted for that one too! We'd rather you see the scenery than some advertisement for a motel down the road...
I sure wish they would do the same here in PA! I hate and I do mean HATE all the signs here.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Umm.. we don't do politics here...
Ok, but if it walks like duck.......