Disappointing start with our new Escape - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... There does seem to be a lot of folks trying out for a director position with Escape though, forming policy and practice for them.
That multi-thousand dollar travel trailer sitting in our side yard suggests that we literally hold stock in ETI, but once we signed our build sheet and they deposited our check, it quite logically converted to non-voting stock! At this point in time, what ever it is, it is what it is (and we love it!)....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Yeah, I botched the description of which line it was and what Bruce was doing. To me, it was simply a water line that flooded our trailer, inconvenienced us, and really spoiled our expectations and plans. And we do not understand why we have to wait for parts from Canada and fix it ourselves (or having to fix it at all) while we are trying to keep the trailer from freezing--during the holidays with a house full of family!

I have to say the folks at ETI were very responsive and concerned but I don't think they quite understand what we have been through and continue to deal with. Maybe they think all of Nevada has palm trees like Las Vegas. It is in the teens here every night--colder than Chilliwack! I will give them another call.

I really appreciate everyone's sympathy, understanding, condolences, concerns, and complements! I am feeling better. Thank you all.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #43

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Sorry to hear about the trouble and hope it is remedied soon. Hope the rest of your trip went well!

I like your sink choice, guess that isn't a stock choice?
Sorry for your first days....

Very nice looking interior.

What size sink is your sink?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
15.75 inches square, 8 inches deep
Old 12-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am getting the same sink for my 19, but in the sand color. I would love to see a 19 with the sink if any 19 owners have one installed.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
Yeah, I botched the description of which line it was and what Bruce was doing. To me, it was simply a water line that flooded our trailer, inconvenienced us, and really spoiled our expectations and plans. And we do not understand why we have to wait for parts from Canada and fix it ourselves (or having to fix it at all) while we are trying to keep the trailer from freezing--during the holidays with a house full of family!

I have to say the folks at ETI were very responsive and concerned but I don't think they quite understand what we have been through and continue to deal with. Maybe they think all of Nevada has palm trees like Las Vegas. It is in the teens here every night--colder than Chilliwack! I will give them another call.

I really appreciate everyone's sympathy, understanding, condolences, concerns, and complements! I am feeling better. Thank you all.
If the problem is simply a hole in the water line, tape it up good and winterize by blowing out all of your water lines with compressed air (after draining the hotwater tank), followed up by pouring RV antifreeze down your drains. Should be fine to then store unheated in your Nevada climate until your repairs are completed.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
ANY brand trailer can come off the assembly line with issues and Escape is no exception. I don't know how much testing is practical for the water, propane and electrical systems, but following several discussions with Reace before and after purchasing our Escape 21 I have confidence they are doing at least what other manufacturers do to deliver a quality product. We have also met their production/QC manager on two occasions and were impressed with QC changes he described to us. Clearly the leak described by the OP here shows a failure.

Our own Escape had 3 minor issues with it on delivery and they became apparent on our first camping trip. Our trailer was constructed at a time when there was a major flu going through the factory, causing Reace and Tammy to return from the Blue Bonnet Rally early to address the problems. I understand that some workers were covering for others who were sick and not quite up to snuff at their new task. From my experience helping to keep our hospital lab operating at a high standard I can appreciate the difficulties in attaining and maintaining a quality operation. And there are always failures despite our best efforts. New staff, sick staff, defective parts from suppliers, etc.

I think everyone picking up a trailer at ETI should do their utmost to spend a couple of days camping within a short drive of the factory. Our 2002 Nash trailer had several issues on delivery as well, and more serious (like one of 4 brakes disabled).

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #48

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
I guess what i don't understand after reading through each of the posts in this thread is why a U.S. citizen can't stay in Canada a few days camping nearby Chilliwack after picking up a new trailer?

Bad deal, no way around it. Best of luck to you folks!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #49

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
Ours is BLACK but it is more of a dark charcoal. It is a larger sink that fits ETI's requirements. We were told they are installing quite a few of them.
Nice to see another black sink. We got one in ours that we were told later they weren't going to install any longer due to some such reason that I've forgotten having to do with how it's installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
They have a legitimate problem.
(snip)
In addition to whatever Reace and company discovers is the cause of this issue, it should also offer ETI the opportunity to enhance their quality testing/inspection process. It seems obvious that ETI missed something during their checks, which I would equate to a process failure.
I don't understand why this wasn't discovered during the testing period before it was handed over to the new owners. Major bummer this happened. I can well understand how frustrating this would be, plus any anger that would have been felt when it happened.

Quote:
Another option for ETI to consider, in the name of high level customer service, is some form of “rapid response team”.
This would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
(snip) The prior problem mentioned came from extended runs of HOT water through this type line, such as a long, hot shower.(snip)
I wouldn't necessarily say "long, hot shower". In my case, I had never taken a long, hot shower in the bathroom (I wish! Not enough hot water in the tank to do that - HA!). Mine was the second trailer it happened in (and the first to report it on this forum) and fortunately I was still inside when water exploded out of the busted water hose. And I was on my way home the next morning. Not a fun situation, to say the least. So, I can really sympathize with the OP's situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have what I think is the same kind of sink in our house. One problem with it is that, if you cook with a pot on the stove, and then put the pot in the sink to clean, it will transfer the grit and grime from the pan to sink.(snip)
I wipe out just about everything off my dishes, pans, etc before they even go near the sink for washing. Yeah, I go through a lot of paper towels that way, but it's that much less stuff that goes down the drain. Sometimes I'll put a bit of water on the towel and clean it off that way. I've never noticed any grime on the bottom of my pans, if that's what you're referencing.

I hope the OP gets it fixed, one way or the other. What a PITA and then some. And on a brand new trailer where you fully expect that sort of thing to be tested and not to happen. Bummer hubby had to get to work; otherwise a trip back to ETI could have happened. And yeah, setting up a brand new trailer in the dark - ack! Least one of you could have held a flashlight. I have one of those headlamp thingies that fit over your head since I use it mostly on my own and hubby isn't there to hold a light for me.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #50

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I guess what i don't understand after reading through each of the posts in this thread is why a U.S. citizen can't stay in Canada a few days camping nearby Chilliwack after picking up a new trailer?
You can, if you go back into Canada after getting your trailer in the USA. The trailer is made for export only and has to be hauled across the border with proper paperwork and all that. USA customers also don't pay any Canadian taxes since it's built for export. I've always wondered if there are any differences in how the trailer is built, due to maybe differing safety or spec requirements between Canada and USA. (okay, totally off topic with that comment! )
Old 12-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:

Frank
ETI has to export the trailer. The problem is you have a trailer in the U.S side with no plates unless you state will issue a plate before its imported. witch in my case new York will not. So going threw customs with a unregistered trailer and no plate could be a problem. some feel more comfortable about it in the U.S. I still working on a solution but have not come up with a good one. I probably will do what many others have and just tow it home unregistered. But back to the subject it would be very hard to return for warranty work
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Frank
Hi: frank_a... It boils down to the Guber Mint of BC not trusting the fact that the trailer is being exported to the US. That's why no provincial taxes are paid. That's also why ETI must use such a cumbersome method of exportation. It used to be a claim only method...but not now!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #53

Aha! That makes sense I guess. Bring it across the border, wait a day, go back to Canada and camp nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
You can, if you go back into Canada after getting your trailer in the USA. The trailer is made for export only and has to be hauled across the border with proper paperwork and all that. USA customers also don't pay any Canadian taxes since it's built for export. I've always wondered if there are any differences in how the trailer is built, due to maybe differing safety or spec requirements between Canada and USA. (okay, totally off topic with that comment! )
Old 12-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
ETI has to export the trailer. The problem is you have a trailer in the U.S side with no plates unless you state will issue a plate before its imported. witch in my case new York will not. So going threw customs with a unregistered trailer and no plate could be a problem. some feel more comfortable about it in the U.S. I still working on a solution but have not come up with a good one. I probably will do what many others have and just tow it home unregistered. But back to the subject it would be very hard to return for warranty work
I would think if you explained the problem, why you don't have plates (your state won't issue ahead of time) and show your new paperwork, it should be fine crossing back in for warranty work. Especially if you get an agent that's used to seeing the Escape trailers go across all the time.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #55

I guess I'll deal with that at the time, but well in advance, as I want to know the deal. I really would like to camp near the plant for a few days.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I would think if you explained the problem, why you don't have plates (your state won't issue ahead of time) and show your new paperwork, it should be fine crossing back in for warranty work. Especially if you get an agent that's used to seeing the Escape trailers go across all the time.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We picked up our trailer in Sumas and headed directly back across the border. The Canadian border officer asked for no trailer paperwork, made no mention of the trailer having no license plates, but he did say there were a lot of Escapes coming by recently and I told him the big rally was starting in two days and we were headed there. He bid us a safe fun journey and off we went.

Coming back into the States after a couple of weeks in BC, and Alberta after the rally, the US border officer also asked nothing about our lack of license plates. State license plates are state's worries, border guards seem to have much larger concerns to watch for.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
I guess I'll deal with that at the time, but well in advance, as I want to know the deal. I really would like to camp near the plant for a few days.

Thanks.
You can camp near the plant. If you don't want to cross back into Canada once your trailer has properly been exported over to USA, there are several nearby campgrounds in WA. I spent my first night in Lynden, WA. Plus there is Olympia National Park. The NP is a bit father, but likely doesn't have hookups for thorough testing.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:02 AM   #58

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have the same sink and I have a bigger double one in my home I never wipe my pans and treat it like any other sink although I wouldn't put a very hot pan in it . The one I've had at home is 5 years old not a mark on it.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:12 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
You can camp near the plant. If you don't want to cross back into Canada once your trailer has properly been exported over to USA, there are several nearby campgrounds in WA. I spent my first night in Lynden, WA. Plus there is Olympia National Park. The NP is a bit father, but likely doesn't have hookups for thorough testing.
I believe the op was on a tight schedule, pick up on Tuesday, pm and home in Nevada on Friday. About 1,000 miles and 15 hours driving. Some of us can do this type of driving, but others may not. The OP stopped first night and hooked up in the dark and had issues. Too far away to return and not close enough to home. We picked up our Escape on Wed afternoon and tried to make it to Mississippi Rally on Saturday in order for other attendees to view the new style trailer. More than 2000 miles and 30 hours. We did not stop and set up camp the first night but merely slept in the unit as we got tired and waited until the rally to hook up. If anything did not work, I would have waited until getting home because I was confident Reace and Co. would take care of it. This confidence, as others have noted allows one to purchase from far away or make several purchases over the years without worry. It will be fixed as good as new, either at the factory or somewhere else or by the owner with parts provided.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #60

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Aha! That makes sense I guess. Bring it across the border, wait a day, go back to Canada and camp nearby.
Do you need to wait a day? If you have your plates put them on and.... just turn around and drive back into Canada.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote