Do you drink the water? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Hmmm, I have drained and sanitized my fresh water tank many times over the course of 2 camping seasons. I nearly always boondock so have never hooked up to "city" water. That said, I carry at least 10 gallons of water in containers for drinking water and coffee water, the same ones I use for river trips. Water from these containers goes into smaller bottles and into the fridge, so we always have cold water to drink on hand. I've actually never drunk out of the fresh water tank.

So why, one would ask, do I go to the trouble of sanitizing it?? First, because it's really easy, and it's become a normal part of the clean-up routine when returning from a long camping trip. Second, although I'm not a major germaphobe or anything like that, I don't like the idea of bathing myself or washing dishes in water that's not clean. And third, I also sanitize my gray tank. I've seen what can grow in a gray tank, some sort of gray horrible filamentous stuff that smells really bad. I don't want to risk that happening in the fresh water tank too!! So they both get sanitized.
Other than running water into your gray tank from your chlorinated fresh water tank, do you do anything additional to sanitize your gray tank?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 - ordered
I drink the water from the freshwater tank in my E19. Of course I only fill the tank from a potable source. I haven't gotten sick. Works for me.
MarkBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #23

Trailer: Looking for an Escape
I used to operate public water supply systems around my state and am also a professional hydrologist and I specialized in groundwater chemistry. I see from the posts that there are a couple of misconceptions about disinfecting water systems and public water systems. First, do not rely on a chlorinated city water connection to disinfect your RV system. The free chlorine levels that reach you typical faucet connection can be very low and ineffective for disinfection depending on the chlorine concentration and contact time in your system. Second, many campgrounds outside of urban areas are not on a municipal public water system and are operated from private wells. The regulatory world considers these transient water supply systems that only have minimum monitoring requirements of monthly lab bacteria samples and an annual nitrate sample, unless it is located in a jurisdiction that has more stringent monitoring requirements. These systems are not generally monitored for other contaminants that are required for larger municipal systems, such as agricultural or industrial chemicals and metals. I use a portable water softener unit and an inline cartridge filter with activated carbon to fill my tank at campgrounds. I also recommend that you carry dilute bleach solution in a small spray bottle and treat all of your hose ends and faucets before you connect anything at a campground. Also periodically disinfect your outside connection drinking water grade hoses and store them in a clean garbage bag.
celcius232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hey Hi!

Got our next trip next month and I am thinking of flushing the tanks and filling up with fresh water. We are going to Utah and hiking some of the slot canyons in the San Rafael Swell. That area has some of the best slots.

I really want water out there and the temps are 60°/30° so it should be okay. Not sure about when I get home.

1.When do you guys (non-gender specific) flush and fill? What are the triggers? Temperatures? Need? Convenience? Partner? Cleanliness?

2. Once you do, do you drink the water in the system?

Thanks.
I always drink the water in my tank. I generally bring a full tank from home.
If the campground water is suspect I do not fill up or hook up. This does not mean "if it tastes good" it means is there adequate pressure, is the campground well cared for, is it on city water and other indicators of a good system. I do not and will not buy bottled water...what a waste! Municipal water is tested more than bottled water ever will be. People bitch about the price of gas and then buy expensive bottled water! Don't even get me started on the bottles themselves. If you bring a jug from home or fill jugs somewhere...why not put it in the camper tank and use it for what it is designed for....drinking water! Sanitize your tank regularly and shock it once or twice a year to keep it clean and you should be just fine....drink from the tap! Really!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
In our Casita we put a marine deck plate in the top of the water tank. That way we can reach in and mop it dry ( takes a few minutes) when we will not be using it for awhile. Is there any way to do that in an Escape?
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
In our Casita we put a marine deck plate in the top of the water tank. That way we can reach in and mop it dry ( takes a few minutes) when we will not be using it for awhile. Is there any way to do that in an Escape?
No. Because the freshwater tank is underneath the trailer, not inside like the Casita... or Scamp.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #27
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius232 View Post
I used to operate public water supply systems around my state and am also a professional hydrologist and I specialized in groundwater chemistry. I see from the posts that there are a couple of misconceptions about disinfecting water systems and public water systems. First, do not rely on a chlorinated city water connection to disinfect your RV system. The free chlorine levels that reach you typical faucet connection can be very low and ineffective for disinfection depending on the chlorine concentration and contact time in your system. Second, many campgrounds outside of urban areas are not on a municipal public water system and are operated from private wells. The regulatory world considers these transient water supply systems that only have minimum monitoring requirements of monthly lab bacteria samples and an annual nitrate sample, unless it is located in a jurisdiction that has more stringent monitoring requirements. These systems are not generally monitored for other contaminants that are required for larger municipal systems, such as agricultural or industrial chemicals and metals. I use a portable water softener unit and an inline cartridge filter with activated carbon to fill my tank at campgrounds. I also recommend that you carry dilute bleach solution in a small spray bottle and treat all of your hose ends and faucets before you connect anything at a campground. Also periodically disinfect your outside connection drinking water grade hoses and store them in a clean garbage bag.
Expert advice, wow!
We winterized our trailer each year and then flush the lines well in the Spring but have never sanitized. Perhaps something that we should look into, whoops. After traveling in South America, we opt not to drink water that we aren’t sure of its source when we are travelling. As mentioned earlier, the fresh water amount is often our limiting factor for our stay. We bring drinking water from home in gallon jugs and either buy bottled water or refill our gallon jugs from drinking water fill stations at a grocery store to use for cooking, drinking water or teeth brushing.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
refill our gallon jugs from drinking water fill stations at a grocery store to use for cooking, drinking water or teeth brushing.
Ever wonder where that water comes from?
Old 02-17-2021, 11:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Thanks Donna, it was such an easy and non toxic solution.
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius232 View Post
I think we all appreciate your expert advice. Thanks for that.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to go about sanitizing or disinfecting our system properly? Is there a correct amount of chlorine to use? In what form, Clorox? Tell us about your process please.

This is really helpful. Thanks again.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For those that may not know the Escape online Owner’s Manual has information on sanitizing the fresh water system. Pg. 51.
https://escapetrailer.com/wp-content...al-5.25.20.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
CD6F0AA8-D401-4461-84C2-D2C64E89E929.jpg  
Old 02-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
For those that may not know the Escape online Owner’s Manual has information on sanitizing the fresh water system. Pg. 51.
https://escapetrailer.com/wp-content...al-5.25.20.pdf
Ugg isn't it time for a sticky on this...or some way to send people to a reference? This is about the third time in a month or so that this licensed public water system operator had to answer this question!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ever wonder where that water comes from?

Yes.

And I can tell you that I once had occasion to investigate that question during the course of my work with a building dept.
The municipality suddenly had a plethora of water-dispensing machines show up outside grocery stores. We found that they all used tap water from the store, with only an in-line filter in the water line. We noted later, among the ones that remained connected, that the filter did not appear to be ever changed. There may have been filtration within the machine, but I have my doubts.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 1994 Casita Freedom
water

Always use my water tank as I fill up with my well water-no chlorine and when we go to Yosemite we see people buying plastic water bottles labeled Yosemite water from Fresno when the pure Yosemite mountain well water is free in Yosemite with no taste of chlorine.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Buying water

Soon they'll be selling air to breath. They do, already, in Japan, out of vending machines. Maybe elsewhere too.

I realize some locales have lousy tasting water, but a multi-Billion dollar industry? SmartWater brand?

Weird.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Yes.

And I can tell you that I once had occasion to investigate that question during the course of my work with a building dept.
The municipality suddenly had a plethora of water-dispensing machines show up outside grocery stores. We found that they all used tap water from the store, with only an in-line filter in the water line. We noted later, among the ones that remained connected, that the filter did not appear to be ever changed. There may have been filtration within the machine, but I have my doubts.
Yeah, I checked into that with a couple of water stores up my way, they did have at least reverse osmosis systems. Working for CA State Parks, I'm fine with drinking water at most of the parks. We filter the water we drink thru a Brita pitcher. for taste. I can't stand bottled water as far as the plastic waste goes.

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
this thread reminds me of this song....

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
There are different views on drinking water from streams and from trailer water systems. I don't think many people get sick drinking their trailer water, but I think it might be an eye opener if people saw what they were drinking under a microscope. Though I worked in a Biochemistry and looked after the entire lab water supply, I also consulted with our Microbiology head technologist on the risks of drinking trailer water before preparing a response to this question on a previous thread.
I appreciated Celcius232's post here and I would love to here his response to my thoughts on this topic. He has experience with drinking water systems, which I do not have.

I am attaching a PDF for your consideration. It is one point of view and my experiences may explain why I take this position.

Bob K
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Issues to Consider on Drinking Trailer Water.pdf (51.2 KB, 42 views)
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Soon they'll be selling air to breath. They do, already, in Japan, out of vending machines. Maybe elsewhere too.

I realize some locales have lousy tasting water, but a multi-Billion dollar industry? SmartWater brand?

Weird.

Psssst! You wanna buy some air? You can breathe this stuff.

We've got a great deal for today only!

Seriously I had a reaction to a drug given to me in a doctor's office that required I rebuild my respiratory system, which I did. There was a time I needed this. It does work at elevation. Just kidding about the great deal. It cost $15.
Attached Thumbnails
boost.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
I sanitize our tank annually, and for water hookups, I have a dual filter setup.
I have noticed a very strong chlorine smell at our Michigan State parks.
for coffee, and drinking i prefer bottled water.
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote