Does campfire smoke get into escape trailer? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #61

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Yet one more follow up!

Used the stove now about five times. Does not use much firewood. Hardly any smoke and what is there goes straight up. No smoke smelling on my clothes yet. So that is good.

The spark arrester works very well. Only very small sparks get out.

You can have a fire on the grass and this leaves no marks. Very pretty fire.

All in all this is a very good design and it preforms as advertised so far.
Looks like a blowtorch! With flames that high, it looks scary!
Old 08-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #62

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Never been a Problem, windows are pretty tight
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19
Ron, So you add a few twigs to the propane fire? Any problems with the propane tubes getting plugged with ash? If not, that's a great idea!
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Sometimes more than twigs. And I bury it in the sand and put rocks around it sometimes. Nope, never been an issue.

If we're in an area where campfires aren't permitted but propane fire pits are then maybe it might still get a tiny bit of enhancement.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 19
You're funny. Thanks!
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #66

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
A Solo Stove is not legal at many private, state, and federal campsites where you can have a charcoal grill, but not a firepit. We purchased the BioLite FirePit and it meets those requirements. A portable stove at those sites has to be at least 6 to 8" off the ground, and you have to make sure your wood does not extend above the top of the grill. We always ask and show the host how we meet the requirements, but we were turned down once though.

You can easily pick the BioLite up at any time, no matter how hot or big the fire, with handles to move it where you want. The Solo-Stove is much harder to move. We never have problems with smoke in our camper since the stove is easily portable in service.

The BioLite has a integrated, removable grill on top that we use all the time to cook steaks, chops, hamburgers, brats, etc. with either charcoal or wood. Once done with charcoal we just put in wood for a conventional wood fire.

We camp in the shoulder seasons and the BioLite is perforated. The heat is radiated in all directions. In really cold weather we put our feet underneath the stove to keep them toasty warm.

The BioLite is rectangular and fits it tighter places for hauling in its included carry case. It fits in the front storage area of our 5.0 TA over our camp stove, leaving plenty of room for our electric cords, fire starters, awning wind clamps, plastic tables, etc.

If we have wet wood the BioLite has a motorized bellows integrated into the stove that gets logs going that won't burn in anything else, including the Solo. We rarely use the bellows, but it's sure handy when you need it. How many here have bought wet wood?

I'd estimate we've had at least 250 fires in our BioLite and it still hasn't rusted out. We figure it has a hundred or more fires to go. The Solo is notorious for rusting out quickly, despite it being advertised as stainless steel.

Post up here two years from now and let us know how your Solo worked for you.

Enjoy,

Perry
I have a larger solo stove. While it is an amazing device, I do agree that it would not be allowable in many campgrounds with fire restrictions.

The sole stove throws a relatively high and noticeable flame out the top. The secret sauce is that it uses secondary combustion that takes place near the top of the device--interior vent holes push preheated oxygen into the flame column, creating a hotter fire that burns off the soot in the smoke.

It does smoke for probably 15 minutes while it heats up--after that, nothing noticeable.

I keep it at home on the deck where it sees a lot of use. I've got a portable propane pit in the trailer that I am rigging for connection to the quick connect system.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #67

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
When campfire smoke is blowing towards me, I've been able to seal up the trailer quite well against the smoke. Many times the smoke is so strong my throat will start to close up from it.

I thought there were supposed to be "rules" about using a campfire. Such as not having one when the wind is enough to blow the smoke into someone else's site. More like an unwritten rule, I guess. One that's not really followed very often.

At one site, I had to laugh over my neighbors. Fortunately the wind wasn't blowing it towards my site, but it sure blew the smoke from their very smoky fire right into their big ass rig and kept setting off their smoke alarm. Least everyone around them knew it was working.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I switched because it was disgusting how much smoke there was in and around the campgrounds at Yellowstone. You're in one of the most pristine natural places in the United States, and it had air pollution on par with Southern California.
I remember also at Yosemite also many years ago . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Just washed the trailer for something to do and over the hill the Hughes Lake fire going .
Attached Thumbnails
9AC5D44B-27AA-4973-8E8A-7C9F6DE687CD.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #70

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This morning the visibility is down to about a mile. There is a thick smoke in the air, twice as bad as last night. The Sun came up red and stayed that way thru the first hour. The air quality is poor outside in the Front Range of Colorado and another big fire erupted two days ago in Glenwood canyon at Grizzly creek and No Name. It shut down traffic both ways on I-70.

This goes on every year throughout the West, and this year seems to be fairly bad already. Other states are blowing up right now too. We are getting a fair amount of lightning started fires that are being put out quickly. But the fire season is here and now we need monsoon rains. The problem is, Old Sparky is the one who brings the rains.

2020 is going down as a crappy year in my book.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #71

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never had an issue with campfire smell in my trailer, as that on my clothes after an evening of enjoying the warmth and comfort of one is much stronger.

I just love a real campfire, and have had thousands of them over time. They are a huge part of camping for me, and have been since my days of backcountry camping. Cocktails, music, conversation and just plain having fun are so very enjoyable while sitting around a campfire.

Actually, I have never once bought or used a fake fire log.
When my Granddaddy took me on horseback camping in the 40's in the back country. "Boy, you can see a thousand miles staring into a fire".
Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #72

Trailer: 2007 17b
The smell of smoke reminds me of camping.☺
Toddybegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddybegood View Post
The smell of smoke reminds me of camping.☺
the smell of smoke reminds me of forest fires

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote