Does the factory spray-on insulation really prevent freezing water lines? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i like the foam because the floor stays warmer i haven't really noticed if its ugly i don't spend a lot of time looking at the underside of my trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Except for the 21'.
Oh! I didn't know. I only have experience with the 19.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve used a foam gun and PUR BLACK foam from Wildlife Control Supplies for rodent exclusion in building foundations and wall cracks. A tube produces 19 board feet equivalent of foam or about 12 gallons. It’s black and with the economy gun and the extension tubing and judicious metering of the adjustable tip on the gun, one can do a pretty nice application job. It’s some sticky stuff coming out of nozzle, adhesion would not be a problem. If you’re worried about mice getting in alongside a loose fitting tube, wire feed hole or the like, you can force some copper mesh in the void and seal with the foam. The people at WCS are nice folks to deal with and will help you if they can. They also buy rendered skunk fat if you have any you want to sell. $11 a pint, right now.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape
It seems that underbody foam is an option of which the primary benefit is uncertain and the effectiveness is unknown, but it might help resale value.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
It seems that underbody foam is an option of which the primary benefit is uncertain and the effectiveness is unknown, but it might help resale value.
Incorrect. The underbody foam will help to reduce heat transfer through the floor of your trailer (floor inside of your trailer will stay warmer in cold temperatures). The underbody foam also does a great job of helping to deaden sounds and makes your trailer quieter inside (you may sleep better). Another benefit is that the foam will help to protect the underside of your trailer from damage due to road debris being kicked up and hitting the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Incorrect. The underbody foam will help to reduce heat transfer through the floor of your trailer (floor inside of your trailer will stay warmer in cold temperatures). The underbody foam also does a great job of helping to deaden sounds and makes your trailer quieter inside (you may sleep better). Another benefit is that the foam will help to protect the underside of your trailer from damage due to road debris being kicked up and hitting the trailer.
I don't think my conclusion is incorrect based upon the thoughtful responses in the thread. I understand the foam is believed to contribute to the qualities you cited, but the meaningful words are "it depends", and "it can't hurt". For instance, I haven't seen many posts about road damage to non foamed trailers. So what is really gained with the foam? Well, it can't hurt.

The foam is a strange option in that it's benefits are elusive and its performance strictly anecdotal at best.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would venture to say the the majority of trailers sold have the foam option and that would explain the lack of non foam trailers having problems due to their minority position.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would venture to say the the majority of trailers sold have the foam option and that would explain the lack of non foam trailers having problems due to their minority position.
Interesting observation. I'd think just the opposite as far as trailers that don't have the spray foam. BUT, that could be that I'm viewing west coast trailers and not those where it typically snows?

I just made up a poll asking about spray foam. Just for fun. I'm betting the vast majority of ETI built trailer owner aren't members of this forum. Hence the data won't be truly valid.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So, you are saying that a non foam trailer is somehow protected by the number of foamed trailers on the road? In reality, the susceptibility of non foam trailers to damage is not affected by whether other trailers have foam. I think that road damage to other than tires is a low risk.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Interesting observation. I'd think just the opposite as far as trailers that don't have the spray foam. BUT, that could be that I'm viewing west coast trailers and not those where it typically snows?

I just made up a poll asking about spray foam. Just for fun. I'm betting the vast majority of ETI built trailer owner aren't members of this forum. Hence the data won't be truly valid.
Most people probably have foam, like it, would get it again. More power to them. But I am reminded of when I took a tour of a teardrop trailer factory. The owner told me that he has not yet found the top end of the market. He said that any option is desired and people will order it and want to have it. The proliferation of option loaded Escape trailers is not about camping, but a sign that we are an affluent group.

I suggest that Escape offer a double foam option. $1500 CN.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
No foam in the wheel wells is there?
My trailer is over ten years old, driven often on gravel roads and I've got a couple tiny nicks in the wheel wells and a couple more on the front where it's not protected by rock covers.

I don't have foam, but I do have slippers.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
So, you are saying that a non foam trailer is somehow protected by the number of foamed trailers on the road? In reality, the susceptibility of non foam trailers to damage is not affected by whether other trailers have foam. I think that road damage to other than tires is a low risk.
I haven't seen many posts about road damage to non foamed trailers.

You missed my point, by the mere assumption that there are fewer number of trailers without foam would explain why there are not many complaining of damage to their undersides. I have also had to touch up some foam where road debris tore off a piece, what would have been torn off if I did not have the foam, maybe some sensor wires that are exposed?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
What I don't get is some saying not a value to the insulation qualities of foam from cold and even heat . Foam is great for surrounding ,say on your refrigerator to help keep heat out and cold in . One of the important mods I did to our refrigerator . I surrounded the cabinet with foam . Guess what made a world of difference to the refrigerator . My favorite "make it right "builder uses spray foam all day long for insulation in building , ceilings, walls ,etc. you can get it or not but for us it was a very important option . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #54

To be clear, I haven't seen many posts about road damage to non foam trailers because there are a significant number of non foam trailers on the road and road damage is not in the top ten.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The spray foam has always been conjecture, as ETI has never conducted surface temperature testing In various situations of a foamed vs non-foamed trailer side by side. While it makes sense that adding more insulation would perform better, that’s not always true. On a SCAMP trailer with only a piece of 5/8” wood for a floor, one could probably conclude it would help tremendously. However, an Escape is an enclosed fiberglass base with at a minimum dead air space between the shell and the interior wood floor which is providing an insulating layer on a stock trailer. Will adding more help, and is it needed? Who knows for sure. I say, if it feels good do it, if it doesn’t don’t.
If someone has some thermometers that can read surface temp of a floor and is coming to Quartzsite, we could pick a foamed and a non foamed trailer and run tests putting together a spreadsheet of the readings over several days in various temperatures.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
What I don't get is some saying not a value to the insulation qualities of foam from cold and even heat . Foam is great for surrounding ,say on your refrigerator to help keep heat out and cold in . One of the important mods I did to our refrigerator . I surrounded the cabinet with foam . Guess what made a world of difference to the refrigerator . My favorite "make it right "builder uses spray foam all day long for insulation in building , ceilings, walls ,etc. you can get it or not but for us it was a very important option . Pat
Foam has great insulation value. Two inches of foam around the body of the trailer above the floor would have mega value. Two inches under the floor?

My best to Patandlinda. Your contributions to the forum shine.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
No foam in the wheel wells is there?
My trailer is over ten years old, driven often on gravel roads and I've got a couple tiny nicks in the wheel wells and a couple more on the front where it's not protected by rock covers.

I don't have foam, but I do have slippers.
I hate to agree with Baglo, I really do. Maybe it's time to retire from this Forum. Perhaps Donna could take a poll to vote me off the island.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #58

Trailer: ?
“If someone has some thermometers that can read surface temp of a floor and is coming to Quartzsite, we could pick a foamed and a non foamed trailer and run tests putting together a spreadsheet of the readings over several days in various temperatures.“

WalMart $12

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LCD-IR-In...&wl13=&veh=sem
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Perhaps Donna could take a poll to vote me off the island.
Not a chance. I'm finding the posts interesting. And glad I was able to make my decision not based on (maybe) damage prevention or (maybe) keeping a trailer warmer/colder or (maybe) it makes a trailer quieter.... but because I think it's ugly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I hate to agree with Baglo, I really do. Maybe it's time to retire from this Forum. Perhaps Donna could take a poll to vote me off the island.
Thank goodness we don't all think alike . You have a valid reason for you ,not liking the foam or seeing it's purpose . I for one do not want all of our opinions to be the same . I am many times wrong . I learn many times for differing opinions . Please I vote for you to stay ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote