Dog issue in RV .. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Dog issue in RV ..

Sammy, our 3yr old rescue dog a border collie mix has suddenly developed an aversion to our RV. He's fine all day and can sleep during the day or night (when we're up sitting at the dinette). But when the lights go out and we go to bed he starts panting and tries to jump up on our bed.

If he hears a noise, whammo! He wants out of the RV..start's sticking his head between the window shades and window, climbs up on the dinette table.. just basically way to wired to calm down. Once he's in this state it's impossible to calm him down w/o taking him outside.. If we take him out we feel like we're rewarding the behavior so we're stuck.. he just won't calm down and even his high value treats have no effect, won't touch them.

Has anyone had this issue..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Re: Dog issue in RV ..

Hmmmm. It sounds like Itasca 24V aversion to me. Quite common in the higher intelligence breeds like border collies actually. I'm afraid that the only known cure is to buy an Escape trailer; a 19 or 5.0 should do the trick.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 17

rv.net pet section might be a second option if no answers turn up here first. Good luck.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A

Umm..... I don't know how this would relate to your rv....... but when we had our shepherds they behaved that way when there were rodents near by . Squirrels and gophers - or even rabbits are usually easily seen ( and chased )however the other types we don't like to think about are not so visible to us but the dogs always know they are around and can't get at them - very frustrating for them ............ just our experience .........
Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Hi Jeff,
Maybe he is hearing or smelling something that you can't. It appears that he is very frightened of something. My dog behaves that way when very frightened and I give him a prescription tranquilizer.(Fireworks and thunder are some of the things.) There may be enough going on that he doesn't see or hear what is bothering him until all is quiet. What does his vet say? (Beside "bring him in"?)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

Our Vet has suggested using behavior modification trainer that specializes in Anxiety Disorder.. Basically play a noise a various levels and get him used to it over a period of time.. sounds good in theory, but it may be a long slow slog.

We have a prescription for him (Xanax & Acepromazine) for those 4th of July occasions.. we also have a thundershirt that swaddles the dog and supposed to calm him down as well..

My sister suggested giving him Benadrly at night just to take the edge off so he can relax..which we may try as well..

Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19'

My dog normally loves our Escape. However - if there's a thunderstorm, or she gets scared for any number of other, less observable reasons, she behaves the same way! As long as I'm up and sitting at the dinette, she's relatively calm - but the minute I lay down and turn out the lights, she freaks out.

The thunderjacket helps Molly somewhat. Also, I got a spray product called 'DAP' (I think that stands for 'dog appeasing pheromones') - you spray it in the trailer about 15 minutes before bed. That also helps some (the dog can smell it - it's odorless to people). A lot of people swear by 'Rescue Remedy', a homeopathic remedy available at health food stores - you just place a drop or two on the dogs tongue. It didn't work for Molly but you might give that a try.

I always have a small blanket that I leave on Molly's bed - when she's nervous, she'll bury her head under it - so you might try covering your dog with a blanket.

Probably, the best thing for my dog is to leave a nightlight on. I've replaced most of my interior lights with LED's so the battery draw is minimal and while this solution isn't ideal for me - it does seem to help Molly.

Modiifed to add: Just had another thought since you mentioned your dog being especially sensitive to noises. Have you tried leaving a radio or some music on to provide some 'white noise'? My dog, a retired greyhound came from a kennel where they had lights on and music playing 24/7 to provide a consistent environment for the dogs - the music kept the dogs from hearing outside noises that would vary depending on which racetrack they were on. If your dog is a city dog, maybe the strange country noises are upsetting.

Good luck!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Years ago I had a Australian Shepard/Samoyed mix. That dog hated loud noises and for 2-3 weeks a year around July 4th and New Year's he was a crazy dog. Fortunately he "lived" in the basement and we turned a boom box blaster on with big bass. The boom box bass masked the noise of the fireworks and he settled down. It made our lives and the dog's life livable.

And no, he really didn't live in the basement... that's where he slept. But, it was better than the livingroom where when he'd get scared he'd try to crawl into the fireplace!

Maybe a white noise machine that you can live with? Like one that makes the sound of rain or the ocean? This of course would only work if the behavior is noise related... and not smell.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne H
My dog normally loves our Escape. However - if there's a thunderstorm, or she gets scared for any number of other, less observable reasons, she behaves the same way! As long as I'm up and sitting at the dinette, she's relatively calm - but the minute I lay down and turn out the lights, she freaks out.

The thunderjacket helps Molly somewhat. Also, I got a spray product called 'DAP' (I think that stands for 'dog appeasing pheromones') - you spray it in the trailer about 15 minutes before bed. That also helps some (the dog can smell it - it's odorless to people). A lot of people swear by 'Rescue Remedy', a homeopathic remedy available at health food stores - you just place a drop or two on the dogs tongue. It didn't work for Molly but you might give that a try.

I always have a small blanket that I leave on Molly's bed - when she's nervous, she'll bury her head under it - so you might try covering your dog with a blanket.

Probably, the best thing for my dog is to leave a nightlight on. I've replaced most of my interior lights with LED's so the battery draw is minimal and while this solution isn't ideal for me - it does seem to help Molly.

Modiifed to add: Just had another thought since you mentioned your dog being especially sensitive to noises. Have you tried leaving a radio or some music on to provide some 'white noise'? My dog, a retired greyhound came from a kennel where they had lights on and music playing 24/7 to provide a consistent environment for the dogs - the music kept the dogs from hearing outside noises that would vary depending on which racetrack they were on. If your dog is a city dog, maybe the strange country noises are upsetting.

Good luck!

Great tips! We'll try the night light and the some white noise. We're going to look at the DAP and the "Rescue Remedy" to see what happens..

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.. and perhaps Harold Kroeker has it right!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
If we take him out we feel like we're rewarding the behavior so we're stuck.
This is very true. I really like the way Cesar Milan thinks in working with dogs and the way their psyche works. Our last dog was afraid of lots of things, especially any kind of noise. Being the caring skin parents we are, we would cuddle, pet and comfort him, meaning to calm him down. Milan suggests that this is the wrong behaviour and that what it does is reassures your pet that they are doing the right thing, as it is more or less the same response that the dog gets for doing something good. He suggests more of a tough love approach, much like a mother or the pack would take naturally.

We have not had to deal with that in the least with Japser, our current dog, so I have not really bothered to read up on his recommended training for this issue. In fast, Jasper loves loud noises and is drawn to them for some reason. You might look at picking up one of his books that deals with these issues.

And good luck with this, Jeff. It is tough when our loved ones don't respond as we wish when all we mean is the best.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #11

Something has creeped into my brain.. Darn Dogs are killing me..!

here&#39;s a quick video

http://zimodecast.com/?p=628

Old 06-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

AAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!

Why did you have to do that to us?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

I want you to feel my pain..

« tire covers | Beer! »