Down side to lower exchange rate - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Down side to lower exchange rate

Although the US $dollar has continued to grow in relation to the Canadian dollar and the exchange rate makes Escape trailers a great buy, there is a down side to this disparity. For those who show their trailer to a potential purchaser and Escape sends a check when the trailer is eventually purchased, the $200 Canadian bird dog fee is now reduced to $140 US.....the good news is gas is now below $2/gallon.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Jim another downside will be the price, mentioned before, that Escape is going to have to charge when so many of the parts they use are in USD. Bound to go up. For us Canucks wanting a new Escape that won't be pleasant. Guess we'll be waiting many years before (if) we get a new one.

On our current trip we really have to budget carefully as everything we buy is nearly and soon will be 1.5 times the price in our dollarettes

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Yes, I feel sorry for you guys north of the border.....
Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It's all so Loonie.
I'm just trying to figure out how you run a business giving up 43% of your retail price. There aren't those kind of margins in products these days. If CA allows it, I guess I'd keep everything sent in at Wells F in US $.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Although the US $dollar has continued to grow in relation to the Canadian dollar and the exchange rate makes Escape trailers a great buy, there is a down side to this disparity. For those who show their trailer to a potential purchaser and Escape sends a check when the trailer is eventually purchased, the $200 Canadian bird dog fee is now reduced to $140 US.....the good news is gas is now below $2/gallon.
I am always pleasantly surprised when we get one of these checks in the mail. I figure it is like a bonus, because the fact of the matter is that I enjoy showing off our trailer and bragging up Escape. I am sure part of this is that "Every sow thinks her pig is the whitest" (as my mother used to say), so I just know that my Escape is the best trailer ever. But another part is thinking back to when we showed up at Eric and Mary's house to look at Blue, and how gracious they were, especially given that we knew absolutely nothing about trailers. It seems only fair to pay it forward and to be as helpful as we can be to folks who are interested in our trailers.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It's all so Loonie.
I'm just trying to figure out how you run a business giving up 43% of your retail price. There aren't those kind of margins in products these days. If CA allows it, I guess I'd keep everything sent in at Wells F in US $.
Hi: Greg A... Brass buck$ are still better than no buck$ at all. The love for an Escape is priceless!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie SW. Fla. for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy showing BlackJack, when I ordered my 21' a couple of years ago I was only one of less than 1/2 dozen Escape owners this side of the Mississippi. Thus I did a booming business demonstrating my 19' Escape, one day I even had 2 visits. I think I sold 6 or 7 Escapes.
Long story short, I had Escape apply 5 of my total referral fees for a discount on BlackJack's build sheet.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Is this really the down side as you see it?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
A $200 referral fee still gets me $200.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy showing BlackJack, when I ordered my 21' a couple of years ago I was only one of less than 1/2 dozen Escape owners this side of the Mississippi. Thus I did a booming business demonstrating my 19' Escape, one day I even had 2 visits. I think I sold 6 or 7 Escapes.
Long story short, I had Escape apply 5 of my total referral fees for a discount on BlackJack's build sheet.
Huh, I hadn't really thought of it that way in terms of being one of few that own an Escape trailer. Yeah, that'd be a nice little side business and income.

How many referral fees will you be using on your 5.0TA?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I expect the hidden gems of camping north of the 49 will be more packed this year too.

I wonder how many of our southern neighbours will choose to stay in Canada after the rally in May?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a lot of Canadian friends. To me the biggest downside is that they usually get the short end of the stick. While I don't want to offend anyone's sense of sovereignty, I believe that Canada and the US, due to closely tied economies, should have a common currency as in the Euro Zone. When I go to Canada, I do not feel like I am in a foreign country as we are pretty much similar and I hate to see Canadians get "screwed" by the exchange rate. Mexico, on the other hand, feels like a foreign country to me.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Instead of spring skiing here in Alaska or at our place at Mt. Baker, my wife's family from Ontario wants to ski at Whistler to save money. Woo Hoo for me! Scott

Scott, Lori and dog

Fat Bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have a lot of Canadian friends. To me the biggest downside is that they usually get the short end of the stick. While I don't want to offend anyone's sense of sovereignty, I believe that Canada and the US, due to closely tied economies, should have a common currency as in the Euro Zone. When I go to Canada, I do not feel like I am in a foreign country as we are pretty much similar and I hate to see Canadians get "screwed" by the exchange rate. Mexico, on the other hand, feels like a foreign country to me.
Wow I say that all the time . We think a like on this . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
... I believe that Canada and the US, due to closely tied economies, should have a common currency as in the Euro Zone. When I go to Canada, I do not feel like I am in a foreign country as we are pretty much similar and I hate to see Canadians get "screwed" by the exchange rate. Mexico, on the other hand, feels like a foreign country to me.
It would be wonderful if our American neighbors to the south would abandon their US$ in favour of the CDN$.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
It would be wonderful if our American neighbors to the south would abandon their US$ in favour of the CDN$.
When I went to the ETI rally last year, bringing US dollar across the border, many restaurants ETC. told me the exchange rate was at PARE. Yep, I knew that was totally wrong... but was glad to be THERE and had a great time.

And yea I knew that I was being screwed based on what I knew about international currency. But really didn't care because it was ALL about the experience and the memories I made. NOT about the few dollars difference. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And yea I knew that I was being screwed based on what I knew about international currency.
Should have got out your charge card and paid with that. That would screw them out of 2 or 3 per cent or what ever the card company charges.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Groucho.....hey my portfolio sucks at the moment big time like a lot of others. Got a last minute timeshare cancellation tho, probably because someone's hair was on fire
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Should have got out your charge card and paid with that. That would screw them out of 2 or 3 per cent or what ever the card company charges.
Actually, if a charge card issued by a US bank were to be used in Canada, funds are adjusted accordingly based upon the current exchange rate and the merchant gets charged additionally. I don't mind if a privately/family owned restaurant or a waiter/waitress makes out by not considering the exchange rate. Or a farmer in an open market, etc. It's not like strong-armed robbery. I just don't want to enrich large corporate or governmental entities on either side of the border, and would take measures no to get taken advantage of (for example, at a Walmart or a Provincial Park).

I went to a restaurant in Point Roberts and was told by some Vancouver residents at the next table that their Canadian currency is accepted there at face value regardless of the exchange rate. I assume they were not exaggerating. But given the geography, that makes sense. Point Roberts is a bit of an anomaly.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
At that point I wasn't looking to screw anyone. I was having a great time, making memories and adding to my bucket list. No matter where I travel, I always figure in US dollars because that's where I earn my wages. If I get a refund.... SCORE, if not it fits into my US based budget. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote