Drain Holes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... IMHO Casita is concerned with costs(per unit). Escape is concerned with services(per customer). Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
You mean the wood embedded in the Casita floor was soft as a result of wood rot?
How old was that Casita?
Yes Casita seems to lack drainage and it needs some, but several friends have them and none of them have problems with the floors with the oldest trailer being 8 years old (which is somewhat mature). No leaks either.
But the floors are fiberglassed both top and bottom on both the Casita and the Escape with OSB in Casita and Plywood in Escape embedded in the floor. Perhaps the OSB is the weak point in the floor versus plywood. Further if you get vinyl on top of the floors that might help seal floors. Both penetrate the floor with screws, plumbing and such....but assuming the water goes into the Escape troughs it has a way out. However not all water intrusions end up in the trough as the recent thread on a New 2107 Escape 19 shows, apparently on the floor in that case. So one must always be vigilant and deal with water intrusion when it happens in whatever trailer.
I also had not heard (or read on the Casita forum) of Casitas having problems with rotten floors. I did a search on "rot" over the past couple of years. I found a post, on a 2000 Casita that had a rotten floor, but that was all.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I also had not heard (or read on the Casita forum) of Casitas having problems with rotten floors. I did a search on "rot" over the past couple of years. I found a post, on a 2000 Casita that had a rotten floor, but that was all.
Then don't head over to the Casita Facebook page. Many more there, but I have to admit, rotten floors in those Casitas was almost the least of the worries. Those trailers had been neglected for years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #24

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
There really does seem to be a big market opportunity in the 19-21' range if Casita would get off their backside. Imagine all the customers that would not have to travel or take delivery all the way from B.C.
agree with that opportunity and sentiment....

Quote:
The fact that Little House Customs even exists
that is bizarre that they exist because of Casita not fixing/changing/adding a few things!

Quote:
Casita is not doing a good enough job at the factory with design, quality execution and offering of options.
Casita is certainly slowww to change..........
just look how long it took for Casita to add as standard now in 2017 the new Maxfan DLX , which is a $100+ option on the 2017 Escape build sheet.

Quote:
I don't know Casita production numbers, but I wonder if Escape is just an annoying gnat or if they are a real threat (17' market) especially with the recent increase in facility size and production?
14 a week supposedly and they don't seem to be having any problem selling them! They say their sales to Canadians are down somewhat this year, if for no other reason the exchange rate is unfavorable to Canada. Of course if you live in Canada why not buy Escape if you can afford it.
Any mfg's production numbers don't mean much unless quality suffers. Being that Casita's trailers are all built the same, then quality should be consistently good or consistently bad. Casita does have a well defined mfg process, and perhaps their no customization policy allows them to achieve a consistently good product.

as far as fabrication techniques...
IMHO prefer Casita electrical (as well as other mfg's) over Escape for a number of reasons....Escape is with no disrespect in need of better wiring techniques from a pro who can show them how to improve. Freak out when seeing pics of Escape wiring techniques.
IMHO prefer any trailer design that minimizes wood fabrication inside, especially minimizing glue,staples and cheap wood paneling.

after researching trailers for a year, this newbie has pretty much figured out that 1st..buying an RV ain't no investment and it may not pass ROI...2nd all RV's have issues and some major...
so if all RV trailers have issues , pick your poison and pick a trailer at the price you want to spend and can still live with the warts the trailer will have.......best to enjoy it while it lasts.
another random thought..some people seem to buy trailers who want to modify them as if they need projects..and some RV buyers want something that is not a DIY project after spending their money on it with the exception of maintenance.
One of the most truthful things ever read on this forum was the comment (not word for word as the link is not handy) by perhaps the Escape owner's better half ... the trailer was a $30k DIY project!..could be true for any trailer though.....

sorry to digress from drain tube thread...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #25

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Drain Holes

Quote:
But the floors are fiberglassed both top and bottom on both the Casita and the Escape with OSB in Casita and Plywood in Escape embedded in the floor. Perhaps the OSB is the weak point in the floor versus plywood.

The biggest difference in Escape floors vs. Casita floors is not OSB vs. plywood. It's that Casita's OSB is the bottom layer and is exposed to the road. Escape's plywood floor has a fiberglass shell between it and the road.

This doesn't help with water that comes down onto the floor, but Escape's construction can allow a path around the floor into the pontoon and out the weep holes. Where would you put weep holes in a Casita? The only place would be the floor itself. I don't think that would be a good idea.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... IMHO Casita is concerned with costs(per unit). Escape is concerned with services(per customer). Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
IMHO Casita surely knows it is selling a 17 foot trailer in a cost competitive 17 to 21 foot market with lots of various type trailers for the buyers to choose from and many of those buyers may not know the pros and cons of each type of trailer...just the price point they are willing to spend...see a lot of of Rpods and the Winnie Drops and guessing they give Casita some competition too.
Escape enjoys its niche with customization and the ability to increase cost and perhaps profit per unit as a result...
Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
The biggest difference in Escape floors vs. Casita floors is not OSB vs. plywood. It's that Casita's OSB is the bottom layer and is exposed to the road. Escape's plywood floor has a fiberglass shell between it and the road. .
uhhh...no disrespect but beg to differ....sure looks like fiberglass on the bottom side of a Casita in the pictures and when crawling under one to look....

Quote:
This doesn't help with water that comes down onto the floor, but Escape's construction can allow a path around the floor into the pontoon and out the weep holes. Where would you put weep holes in a Casita? The only place would be the floor itself. I don't think that would be a good idea.
valid point about a completely flat floor design and perhaps an easy fix may or may not be possible.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
The biggest difference in Escape floors vs. Casita floors is not OSB vs. plywood. It's that Casita's OSB is the bottom layer and is exposed to the road. Escape's plywood floor has a fiberglass shell between it and the road.

You're confusing Scamp with Casita. Casita trailers are tubbed just like an Escape build.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

I own a 2013 Casita 17 ft SD and I can assure you that the OSB flooring in a Casita is NOT exposed to the road . The bottom of our Casita is fiberglass . The OSB flooring in my 1999 Scamp WAS exposed to the road
When we bought a new trailer we looked at Escape , Scamp and Casita and chose the Casita
The Escape was the best of the three but at that time we could not afford or justify the increased cost of an Escape.
After almost 30,000 miles our experience with our Casita has been excellent.
We are looking at buying a new trailer because we want a larger trailer , and not because we are dissatisfied with our Casita.

Escape does allow far more customization than Casita
and if that appeals to you great but if we buy an Escape it will be 99% stock
I was told by a Casita salesperson flat out if you want a bunch of special options then buy an Escape .

I realize that a Casita is not an Escape but neither is an Escape an Oliver . For us a trailer is a luxury not a necessity and at some point we all reach our financial comfort limit .

I am Not bad mouthing ETI or anyone who has chosen to purchase an Escape but our Casita is NOT a piece of junk nor was our Scamp !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #30

may be interesting..went to Casita about 16 months ago and inquired about something different to be done..zero interest..thinking that the prospective customer was a nerdy engineer type and also knowing nerdy engineer types can be a bit picky about design...they suggested an Oliver trailer!
recently while in that neck of the woods in Texas decided to stop and visit them ...they once again affirmed lack of interest in anything special....however after suggesting something different and walking thru production with them....showing and explaining why it would be a good thing to do...they thought about it a while and later agreed!
....so perhaps its how a special request is conveyed... how it's actually done and why... such that hopefully it will yield the answer you want...or maybe the moon was full.
This experience should not lead one to think that Casita has changed it's "make them all the same " production process....it has not , as the majority of the trailer mfg's have that mantra...it perhaps shows that Casita ain't always rigid...ironically after that previous discussion, a week or so later they initiated communication about another idea they were exploring!...it was a popular request and an easy to implement idea for an option....they are thinking....
perhaps some day they will more than dream of tandem axles, the market has room for more choices!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am Not bad mouthing ETI or anyone who has chosen to purchase an Escape but our Casita is NOT a piece of junk nor was our Scamp !!
As you know Steve, I still have my Scamp. Love that little trailer. I know ALL it's issues... even the ones right from the factory 29 years ago. IF the LAYOUT was different.... I probably would not have purchased Ten Forward. I have ZERO regrets buying my custom-built-for-me 5.0TA. But it was an easier financial pill to swallow when I knew what I was getting was a good build and there's not another trailer like it.... yeah, that's a pride thing. I figured it was a lot of money, why not make that Formica and upholstery just for ME. It's funny how a couple of the less expenses changes can make a person like me so much happier. I wish you well!
Old 04-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
But the floors are fiberglassed both top and bottom on both the Casita and the Escape with OSB in Casita and Plywood in Escape embedded in the floor. ....
Since I don't own one, I don't know about Casita's floors and don't pretend that I do, but Escape plywood floors are not "fiberglassed both top and bottom".

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
....Escape is with no disrespect in need of better wiring techniques from a pro who can show them how to improve. Freak out when seeing pics of Escape wiring techniques.
From what I have seen of the 17B Escape trailer I owned, the wiring in friend's Escapes, and pictures of the wiring in new models it is at least as good or better than what my Scamp had. Somehow I imagine that a "pro" has been involved in the wiring procedures in order for Escape to pass necessary inspections to be certified.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Since I don't own one, I don't know about Casita's floors and don't pretend that I do, but Escape plywood floors are not "fiberglassed both top and bottom".
thanks for correcting my understanding of this on an Escape.....always willing to learn.
Always thought Escape fiberglassed the top/inside plywood floor. So if not.. then is the vinyl floor and the glue that attaches it, the "sealant" for the top of the plywood inside an Escape?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #35

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You're confusing Scamp with Casita. Casita trailers are tubbed just like an Escape build.
Thanks to Donna and others for correcting me. I mistakenly thought that in this regard, Casitas and Scamps were built the same. My bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Steve, I'm so sorry to sound like I'm bad-mouthing Casitas and/or Scamps. That was NOT my intent. I apologize.

Yes, I'm buying an Escape, but if I were not, my fall back would be a Casita (buy Texan). Oops! It would actually be a Scamp, but ONLY because DW & I love the layout fivers can offer.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #36

Quote:
thanks for correcting my understanding of this on an Escape.....always willing to learn.
Always thought Escape fiberglassed the top/inside plywood floor. So if not then the vinyl floor and the glue that attaches it is the "sealant" for the plywood inside an Escape?
When we picked up our 17B, Reace explained that the plywood floors on Escapes were treated just like an underlayment for vinyl in a home - with any seams sealed and sanded as needed before the vinyl is laid down on it. He also explained that that was why Scamp charges extra for vinyl, as with the standard carpet they just laid it down with no sanding or seam sealing the top of the OSB. Perhaps Scamp has changed methods- again I do not own a Scamp anymore so I don't pretend to be an expert on them. I only know the problems I experienced with mine.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Hi - We are searching for a fiberglass trailer. My husband and I have narrowed it down to either the Scamp, HC1 or the Escape. Each offer their own 'thing' with Scamp and the Escape being similar in style, but different in build. We've seen the HC1 and Scamp in person and are hoping soon to see the Escape also in person. Escape (the company) has been wonderful!!! They respond quick, discuss changes that I'd like with their production manager - just overall great business sense towards the consumer. Problem is the drain holes under the trailer. Great idea, but my concern was bugs, spiders, ants, etc, entering into the trailer through those holes. I was told they are about the size of a small drill bit and that bugs entering your trailer would be no different then entering you open trailer door. Anyone have any issues with bugs entering the trailer through these holes? I'm not an 'anti-bug' person, but I am allergic to bees/wasps and have issues with knats, horseflies. I don't let that deter me from enjoying the outdoors, but indoors I do like the peace of mind that those insects are not in my living area. Any insight you can give us would be great - Thank you
Mary..as you can see one question on this forum can often lead to a multitude of answers and different paths...this trailer newbie has also been looking for a trailer and has been for some time..research can take a lot of time and this forum has provided a wealth of info from experienced trailer owners for Escape and other trailers....of course this information overload may lead to not being able to make a clear decision as to which trailer is "the one" to buy...which may lead one to make multiple deposits for multiple trailers that all have long lead times....the tug was a heck of a lot easier to decide on...
Old 04-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Thank you for the reassurance. I feel better knowing there have been no reports of issues with the small holes. How does one insect proof the other openings you mentioned?
If I were truly concerned, I would cut some small pieces of fiberglass window screen material and use adhesive to stick them over the holes. Nobody can see them where they are located.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
From what I have seen of the 17B Escape trailer I owned, the wiring in friend's Escapes, and pictures of the wiring in new models it is at least as good or better than what my Scamp had. Somehow I imagine that a "pro" has been involved in the wiring procedures in order for Escape to pass necessary inspections to be certified.
Comparing Escape's wiring methods to those in a Scamp , Casita or any other brand of travel trailer is setting the bar pretty low.
I was an electrician for over 40 years and can honestly say none of the trailer manufacturers do what I would consider a PROFESSIONAL job. All my electrical work was inspected by a 3rd party independent licensed electrical inspector.
I recently helped a friend repair the wiring in his 2 year old trailer and I've seen better workmanship by first year apprentices.
I am NOT saying that Escape trailers are improperly wired , unsafe or that they are not code compliant .
The best / nicest thing you can say about trailer wiring is that it works .Their lack of training and pride in their workmanship or trade shows
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Would you care to explain how you would wire it differently?
Attached Thumbnails
wire 1.jpg   wire 2.jpg   Wire 3.jpg