Dry CaMPING AND gENERATORS~ - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 RPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It is the Low Pro but I believe you can get it with an optional heat strip if you ask. Another option is get the trailer "air conditioner ready". Ceiling is reinforced and the wiring is in place.
This is a good plan. I would like to try the rig first without for 1 season.

I do see the 15000 Breeze 2 Dometic standard Pro with heat strip on Amazon, I need to ask if the trailer is reinforced enough for a non low pro, and give them the weight!

Is yours loud? The Breeze 2 is loud according to Amazon purchaser feedback!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #22

Jim and Carl, what made you guys decide to go with a 5.0TA fifth wheel over a regular TT?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Agreed, especially for those that are dealing with derates at altitude. Just about the same noise level as a Honda 2000i. Weight is 75 lbs dry.
That looks like a nice unit, I like the weight! How long you had yours?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
Jim and Carl, what made you guys decide to go with a 5.0TA fifth wheel over a regular TT?
Speaking for Carl, he is just not a regular guy.
(but I mean that in a good way)

For me it was primarily the layout. I love having a bed out of the way, separate from the comings and goings inside, and having the rear dinette is nice. Plus, lots and lots of room. I had a 19 for six years and loved it too, just like the 5.0TA better.

I know you are not looking at getting a 5.0TA, but if you would like to pop over this weekend to see mine, I will be around for the most part. I am in the NW in Brentwood.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Is yours loud? The Breeze 2 is loud according to Amazon purchaser feedback!
Must be subjective. To me it's very loud, although when it's 90+ out I'll live with loud. To many it's not loud.

Don't see a need for a bigger A/C, the 11000 can frost the windows no trouble.

5.0TA, full size queen bed, sort of separate bedroom area.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
For me, it was primarily towing stability. While others here will state that their bumper pull Escapes tow like a dream, no bumper pull I have ever towed was not affected by passing large vehicles (busses and trucks), and that includes a Coleman tent trailer and two Aliners. Because of its point of connection, the 5th wheel (in my opinion) is more stable. For anyone old enough to remember, I generally will tell you that towing a 5th wheel is like watching color TV, while a bumper pull is like watching black & white. Both will do the job, but watching in color is a better viewing experience. Because part of it hangs over the truck, even though the 5.0TA is a couple of inches longer than the 21, when hitched to the truck, it is a shorter overall package than a truck hitched to a 21 or even a 19. Lastly, I like that the sleeping area is somewhat separated from the living area. And even though some people will tell you that they do not want to lose space in the bed of the truck, I find that I can still use much of the space around the hitch for cargo.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #27

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
2400 gen-set

We have the 2400 Yamaha it was heavy when I was 55 now at 68 its a lot heavier at 75 lb .It will run a 11000 A/C .I also have a 1000 watt black max for charging batteries etc on a boat .I think Solar would do a better job of keeping batteries fresh . We only need 120 ac for the air conditioner we can run hair dryer /microwave on our inverter . and the 160 watt solar brings it right back to 95-100% . Go with Solar and inverter and be happy no gen-set . If you live on East coast and high humidity then an A/C is needed and if boondocking then buy the 2400watt genset from Yamaha
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Speaking for Carl, he is just not a regular guy.
(but I mean that in a good way)

For me it was primarily the layout. I love having a bed out of the way, separate from the comings and goings inside, and having the rear dinette is nice. Plus, lots and lots of room. I had a 19 for six years and loved it too, just like the 5.0TA better.

I know you are not looking at getting a 5.0TA, but if you would like to pop over this weekend to see mine, I will be around for the most part. I am in the NW in Brentwood.
Jim very nice of you. Thanks! I will see if I can get my mom's lady friends to let her do this with me..I am buying it for her, so she can see more of the country, get her back over to Ontario, its been too many years, and we have not done cross country ever, so this is the opportunity!

I can't consider a 5.0 TA because I have a lifted Duramax, Tammy says I would need flip over axle upgrade etc......Otherwise I do not mind the 5.0 TA , but also more importantly, my mom's knees won't allow it, the queen bed would be for her, and those 3 steps are daunting to her, are they hard to climb?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
For me, it was primarily towing stability. While others here will state that their bumper pull Escapes tow like a dream, no bumper pull I have ever towed was not affected by passing large vehicles (busses and trucks), and that includes a Coleman tent trailer and two Aliners. Because of its point of connection, the 5th wheel (in my opinion) is more stable. For anyone old enough to remember, I generally will tell you that towing a 5th wheel is like watching color TV, while a bumper pull is like watching black & white. Both will do the job, but watching in color is a better viewing experience. Because part of it hangs over the truck, even though the 5.0TA is a couple of inches longer than the 21, when hitched to the truck, it is a shorter overall package than a truck hitched to a 21 or even a 19. Lastly, I like that the sleeping area is somewhat separated from the living area. And even though some people will tell you that they do not want to lose space in the bed of the truck, I find that I can still use much of the space around the hitch for cargo.
great Analysis! Carl, if I did not have a lifted diesel, and the 3 steps for my mom was not a problem, I would be all over it~~
Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have the 2400 Yamaha it was heavy when I was 55 now at 68 its a lot heavier at 75 lb .It will run a 11000 A/C .I also have a 1000 watt black max for charging batteries etc on a boat .I think Solar would do a better job of keeping batteries fresh . We only need 120 ac for the air conditioner we can run hair dryer /microwave on our inverter . and the 160 watt solar brings it right back to 95-100% . Go with Solar and inverter and be happy no gen-set . If you live on East coast and high humidity then an A/C is needed and if boondocking then buy the 2400watt genset from Yamaha
Thanks Jenny!

Why Did you choose the 21 over the 19' and why?
Old 04-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Thanks Jenny!

Why Did you choose the 21 over the 19' and why?
Randy, just as a generic answer, I think many people like Jim (Jennykatz) choose a bumper pull because they prefer something other than a truck as a tow vehicle.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We chose the 19 over the 21 because we prefer the layout in the 19, and also the larger bed. Simple as that. Just spend sometime in both and it won't take you long to decide.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Hi All,

are the Honda Eu 3000 gen sets all they are hyped to be?
My Honda EU3000is inverter model is awesome! Yes it is heavy, I put it in the truck in the spring and leave it there. I move it around on my hand truck and a ramp to get it in and out of the truck when necessary. It gets strapped in the front of the bed and stays there. I just run a cord and run it right in the truck. You can even move the truck away from the campsite some if you want it quieter although it is UBER quiet. People shut off their cheap loud ones and don't even notice mine is running! The inverter is friendly to electronics too, regular generators are rough on any electronics since they are not true sine wave generators. Camping in the off seasons when you need heat or when it is hot and you want to run the air is nice. I have even been known to stop for lunch and fire it up to run the microwave! I had a retracting reel cord mounted by the generator for this purpose, quick and easy. No I would not run the A/C on a light cord but I would run the microwave or charge the batteries this way. Mine came with a former camper...if I was buying new I might consider getting two 2000s and running them in tandem for ease of handling and light weight. Get a Honda you and your neighbors will love it!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue
Get a Honda you and your neighbors will love it!
I believe it would be polite / proper to first ask your camping neighbors before assuming you and your neighbors have the same affection for generators , Honda or any other internal combustion generator.
Hopefully for you and me , we won't be camping in the same neighborhood !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I am planning to get a Honda or Yamaha and run it while inside the bed of my truck as needed. After years of tent camping mostly in National Park and Forest Service campgrounds I have yet to be bothered by the sound of generators. Also, no one has ever located their generator in my campsite in order to keep things quiet for them. Last summer at Capitol Reef a tent camper was next to us and he ran a Honda generator many times and I don't recall ever being bothered by it. He had high praise for it and used it to run a small air conditioner during a couple days when the temps were in the high 80's. I was more jealous than annoyed.

Diesel trucks starting in the early morning and driving thru the sites are far more annoying.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am one who loves the virtues of generators, and have owned various 3kW ones for many years now. However, I am one that does not care for the drone of them when running, especially near where I am camped. Worse are the ones built into some bigger RVs, they are just rude.

I had a buddy who had a small motorhome with one, and needed to run it when boondocking to operate just about everything. After many of us complained about the noise, he went and spent a schwack of money on a new one, complete with lots more propane (or at least dual fuel) appliances, along with 300W of solar and 4 6V batteries. He is much more popular amongst friends and family now.

As I mentioned before, the only real reason I could see needing one these days with such good solar available, is to run an air conditioning unit somewhere real hot.

Anyway, just one man's opinion. Yours may vary.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #37

Jim, YES!

Jim, no you are right, I have decided NO AC for now. So a Gen is probably to the back of the list, solar is good.......and well upgraded batts, do you think the twin 6 V batt's is a good upgrade with solar right now on the order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Jim, you are so right about tailgates getting higher and higher. I also find the older I get the more difficult lifting heavy items gets. I used to carry a concrete block in each hand. Not that I carry them often, but now I am more inclined to carry them one at a time.
Quote:
True, I think a good used 3000is is better than a new Champion per se..........

And the capacity will be welcome always, and the quietness too.

I was told though, that true camping means roughing it with the Maxxfan, drawing cool Canadian mountain air in the evenings.......and deleting the need for AC altogether......if we are to keep the unit, then the buyers who need it get a fresh one installed when they buy it..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am one who loves the virtues of generators, and have owned various 3kW ones for many years now. However, I am one that does not care for the drone of them when running, especially near where I am camped. Worse are the ones built into some bigger RVs, they are just rude.

I had a buddy who had a small motorhome with one, and needed to run it when boondocking to operate just about everything. After many of us complained about the noise, he went and spent a schwack of money on a new one, complete with lots more propane (or at least dual fuel) appliances, along with 300W of solar and 4 6V batteries. He is much more popular amongst friends and family now.

As I mentioned before, the only real reason I could see needing one these days with such good solar available, is to run an air conditioning unit somewhere real hot.

Anyway, just one man's opinion. Yours may vary.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I love the sound of solar in the morning , that's why I bought and use a solar panel.
The difference between a diesel truck and a generator is that most people don't set up camp and then let their diesel vehicle run / idle continuously for the next 48 or 72 hours .

Best Wishes
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I believe it would be polite / proper to first ask your camping neighbors before assuming you and your neighbors have the same affection for generators , Honda or any other internal combustion generator.
Hopefully for you and me , we won't be camping in the same neighborhood !
You misunderstood I only run a generator when it is allowed and when i really need it. I prefer solar hands down. I see many with big loud generarors runnimg with people sittimg outside. They fire them up and just it run all day...not cool. If i use mine it is to run the air for a short period or charge the batteries for an hour or so. And I do check with the neighbors! Many times they don't realize it is running!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
You misunderstood I only run a generator when it is allowed and when i really need it. I prefer solar hands down. I see many with big loud generarors runnimg with people sittimg outside. They fire them up and just it run all day...not cool. If i use mine it is to run the air for a short period or charge the batteries for an hour or so. And I do check with the neighbors! Many times they don't realize it is running!
Honda!