Dual Gaucho Bunk option?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
3500 capacity would be cutting it too close for my comfort, especially assuming five people in the Pilot and any kind of mountainous driving. Interesting that Honda provides a higher limit for a boat, though.
I am not the only one who has towed a 19 with a Pilot. I just looked at my old manual (the vehicle is long sold) and there is no mention of a difference with a boat.

Another consideration is that if you plan to keep the 19 for a long time, you would go through a few different tow vehicles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another consideration is that if you plan to keep the 19 for a long time, you would go through a few different tow vehicles.
Can't stress this enough. Your Escape is durable and barring a case of two-foot-itis, it will be yours for a very long time. Get the trailer that makes sense for how you camp now. If your tow vehicle is just adequate, and you want it to be more capable later, you can change the tow.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Sure on paper my pilot can tow 5000 lbs, but reading further into the manual that's only if you're towing a boat. For a trailer it's 3500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
Interesting that Honda provides a higher limit for a boat, though.
Honda has made this distinction between a boat on a trailer versus other trailers (cargo, travel...) for many years - certainly more than a decade. I didn't realize that they still did this. It's always worth reading them manual... this did come out of the manual, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A trailer is a trailer, and I really see no difference for towing. Maybe the frontal area being larger on a travel trailer is all.
Yes, frontal area is certainly the major factor, since it determines aerodynamic drag and thus the continuing load on the drivetrain (engine, transmission, differentials...). Even crosswinds are easier to manage (maintain control) with less side area.

Another factor is stability. Power boats tend to have the mass well-concentrated near the back, so for a given overall length the ball-to-axle distance is longer, and for a given length and mass the trailer with a boat has less "flywheel" effect (polar moment of inertia) so it is easier to control.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
I'll certainly defer to Jim Bennett and others who actually have experience towing with a Pilot. Based on their responses, it seems like a reasonable approach would be to at least try it with the Pilot and see if it works for you and your preferred routes and destinations.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What if it's a houseboat?
Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Does anyone know if a second gaucho bunk could be installed above the queen bed?
The bed over the rear dinette/bed is the "cot" (fabric on two poles, like a traditional camp cot), not the gaucho bunk (backrest folds up to become upper bunk).

Quote:
Now, you mentioned bunk(s) in the front. Does that mean there are two sleeping spaces above the two person dinette? Or is it one bed above the dinette?
A front gaucho bunk ($400 option) in a 17B means a single bunk over the single-bed-sized front dinette.

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of the gaucho bunk (the fold down one?).
The gaucho bunk configuration is unfortunately not shown on the Escape 17' web page or in the brochures which are linked to it. I don't know if it has changed over the years, but a decade ago it looked like the photos which I posted in FiberglassRV.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Regardless of what others have done, if your manual says 3500# you would be hard pressed to obtain warranty coverage if towing is the issue, a good mechanic can tell when a transmission has been abused. Just my .02$ worth.....
Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #28

Trailer: Rockwood Freedom 2000
Awesome posts. Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm so glad I decided to look at the Escape trailers, as they really look like they'll be around for the long term. These will be the Bolers of the future, no doubt. I looked into the ProLite Evasion 16 which amazingly sleeps five, but I just couldn't get over thinking that it wouldn't last and, wow, they're spendy. A few grand more and I get an Escape. I also just saw another ultralite trailer where the fiberglass veneer (for lack of a better word) was wrapped around the front, top and back of the trailer. There was bubbling in the back already and it looked like the trailer was only a few years old. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but hey, I'm excited. I'm also stoked that these guys are making them a hop, skip and a jump from where I live (Ok, it's four hours, but still...).

It's good to know other Pilot owners have had no problems towing these. Mine has the tow package with the transmission cooler, I'll use synthetic transmission oil and use high octane gas, etc. GTG.

Good point on the trailer outlasting the tow vehicle hehe.

Alright it's time to shut up and get in line. The 19 it is. Thanks again for the help.

James
blastermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy towed his 19 with a Hyundai Santa Fe for several years. It was rated 3,500 lbs. towing. Seemed able to keep up with me and my 17B and RAV4 V6.
He's since moved up to a Toyota Highlander.
You might want to look further into using premium gas. My understanding is that your vehicle is tuned to run on whatever gas is recommended in your manual. The computer in your vehicle will adjust for conditions and going with higher octane with not make you go faster, it will only empty your wallet faster.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Our 17B has the gaucho bunk. It also came with the toilet but no shower. I don't think I've missed the shower in that small space nor do I miss the humidity that would be created by a shower in a small trailer. I would miss the toilet especially for those nocturnal visits.
I have mixed feelings about the gaucho bunk.
When I use the trailer by myself, I often leave the rear table set up as an office/computer space (work related) and sleep up front on the small bed. With the gaucho bunk in the down position, it blocks off 4" or so of the width of the bed, When it is up, the width is gained back but trying to crawl into the lower bunk is sort of like trying to crawl into a small cave. Works well for smaller kids but not so well for old dogs. The upper bunk is rated for a maximum of 200 lbs. I don't think I want to test that. I've been considering removing the gaucho bed at least temporarily. When the grand urchins come and join us, they love the gaucho bunk on the top, and the "cave" down below.
When my wife is with me, we leave the rear table down as a bed and use the front table for eating on. Again, with the gaucho bed down, the seating area is a little cramped and the table I suspect is narrowed down to accommodate the space taken by the folded down gaucho bunk.
In small trailers, everything is a compromise when it comes to space.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #31

Trailer: Looking
Great Discussion! We have a very similar situation as BlasterMaster with the kids and all, so this is all great info!
canoecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The common loaded weights for the classic 19's were 3700-3800 lbs. The new generation has another 300-400+ lbs. added to the dry weight. One could expect 4100-4200 lbs. loaded.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Regarding lack of bathroom:
We selected our 17A (instead of a B model), because, as long-time campers more than just travelers/sightseers, we are outside our trailer except at night or very inclement weather. The porta-potty, stored in a cabinet under the permanent queen bed (with the comfortable 8" mattress), is perfect for nighttime, so we're not making the trek to some restroom/outhouse building at the other side of the camp ground in darkness.
If we need a shower, we go to a campground or other facility with showers. Here in California, if you're camping at some of the State parks that are dry (no hookups, pit toilets only, etc.), you can use the shower (and other) facilities at nearby State parks, just by showing your camping permit/pass.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Alright it's time to shut up and get in line. The 19 it is.
Great choice. I highly recommend the 19 if you want to accommodate up to 5 now and have a bathroom. The beauty is it will still be a perfect trailer if eventually it is just the two of you camping.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #35

Trailer: Rockwood Freedom 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Great choice. I highly recommend the 19 if you want to accommodate up to 5 now and have a bathroom. The beauty is it will still be a perfect trailer if eventually it is just the two of you camping.
True enough. I also read somewhere on these forums that the 19 is nice in that you can leave the queen bed as a bed and still have the 4 person dinette for if you want to have another couple join you for a drink or two.
blastermaster is offline   Reply With Quote