Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #21

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Matt and Greg, thanks for the advice, will give it serious consideration.

It's not the cost, its having an appliance that we can live without especially in light of not having power most of the time. If we knew we had to stay in hot humid areas for long periods of time and have a power source that would be different. There are many RV appliances we must have no matter what, AC is near the bottom of the list. We are not fond of being where there are hook ups and will do our best to avoid parts of the country that are seriously uncomfortable in the summer time as travelling requires being outdoors and that the AC can't help with. In retirement, we can wander many times farther than while working with limited vacation time.

If the unexpected happen and we had to sell our highly customized trailer, it will be by then, we would sell as is and let someone else drop in an AC.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have seen both lids, and prefer the white. I like the colour of light better. You can't see through either, and wouldn't stand under it to do so anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually you can see through the smoke lens, if you check out my modifications to my 19' Escape there is a picture taken of the sight. The white opaque cover attracts light, at night time it is like a moon light on the roof, same during the day, any street or parking lot light is absorbed and emitted inside. You need to see both before making your choice, it is a personal preference. I have one in my garage and one on my trailer, but unfortunately I'm too far away.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #24

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have one in my garage and one on my trailer, but unfortunately I'm too far away.
Thank you for the offer Jim. will take you up after I retire in 14 months. Yes I will need to see one.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ?

If I were getting one of the longer Escapes and no AC, I'd definitely opt for two fans. I tire though of the whole "should I get AC or not" argument, because it's almost entirely geographical. You know if you need it or not. This is one where you go with what feels right for you - not for someone else.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I tire though of the whole "should I get AC or not" argument, because it's almost entirely geographical. You know if you need it or not.
Hi Robert,

My post was to get real world experiences from 21ft owners that use their Maxx Fans. I was on the fence between having one or two and needed helpful input. Well I certainly got that and am grateful for all the advise from those that know.

My post was never about trying to decide whether I want AC, that was decided years ago as it was rarely used and not a consideration on this purchase.

Thanks for your advice as well.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #27
Site Team

Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ?

Yes, I knew that Santiago, from your earlier posts. Wasn't directed at you at all. I was just commenting on the fact that many discussions where the OP asks about fans inevitably turn into an "AC or no AC" debate. That's one issue where other members advice can mean very little, unless of course they live in the same climate.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
I hope my question fits in this thread. Forgive me if not.
I live in a cool area and like to avoid camping in hot weather/areas. Despite that in building my 2016 21 I thought I would include a/c mainly for possible resale concerns. Specs for the 21 say the height is 8' 7". My potential existing storage area is 9' 2" high. My question: What is the height of the 21 with the a/c unit installed?

If higher than 9' I either get to build another pole barn or exclude the a/c from the build.
I am buying to keep not to resell.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
I live in a cool area and like to avoid camping in hot weather/areas. Despite that in building my 2016 21 I thought I would include a/c mainly for possible resale concerns. Specs for the 21 say the height is 8' 7". My potential existing storage area is 9' 2" high. My question: What is the height of the 21 with the a/c unit installed?

If higher than 9' I either get to build another pole barn or exclude the a/c from the build.
Hard to find dimensions for the Dometic Penguin II Low Profile 13.5K BTU (the one Escape installs), but their marketing literature says "less than 10" tall". That would make the 21 about 9' 4" tall with the AC. Just a bit too tall for your storage area I'm afraid.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hard to find dimensions for the Dometic Penguin II Low Profile 13.5K BTU (the one Escape installs), but their marketing literature says "less than 10" tall". That would make the 21 about 9' 4" tall with the AC. Just a bit too tall for your storage area I'm afraid.
Thanks, Robert. If it is that close maybe I can dig out 4" of dirt. That would give me 2" clearance.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Actually you can see through the smoke lens, if you check out my modifications to my 19' Escape there is a picture taken of the sight.
Hi Jim, that picture of the Maxx Fan, that's the smoke lens ? looks very clear in daylight. Nice. Thank you
Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi Jim, that picture of the Maxx Fan, that's the smoke lens ? looks very clear in daylight. Nice. Thank you
yes, and it was a cloudy day.....
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks, Robert. If it is that close maybe I can dig out 4" of dirt. That would give me 2" clearance.
Be careful, Escape does not install a 13,500 a/c, all they use is the 11,500 model, if it is smaller then you are good.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:57 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Be careful, Escape does not install a 13,500 a/c, all they use is the 11,500 model, if it is smaller then you are good.
Yes, my mistake on the BTUs. However, the height is the same: about 9 1/2" tall.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another thought - get it "AC ready" and you'll have a vent instead, but it'll be simple to drop the AC on later should you choose.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Another thought - get it "AC ready" and you'll have a vent instead, but it'll be simple to drop the AC on later should you choose.
Good suggestion, Charlie. I may go that way so options are open. Thanks.

I am assuming 9-1/2" height is a flush mount so that puts the trailer height @ 8' 7" + 9'-1/2" or 9' 4-1/2", 2-1/2" above my 9' 2" limit. Maybe I could just deflate the tires.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #37

Rob, years ago when I ordered a Scamp, I wanted to store it in the garage but the huge emergency escape vent would not allow it through the door. I thought about deflating as well. Instead Scamp did not add the big sombrero sized vent to the roof, at my request, and I have been pushing it into my garage ever since. If you are not wild over AC why spend $ on it and upset your trailer storage place. It can always be dropped it later.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

A/C is a big resale concern. Most buyers for used units seem to want it and they will pass up the unit many times if it is not there. They either live in a hot climate or they intend to take the trailer to a hot climate. They have no interest in finding a unit and having it installed themselves. So that is definitely a valid concern. You also might find that you can use it some or your long-term plans change.

I think of the height as being 9 1/2' to make sure it is covered for any arches or whatever. As far as storage though, you would want taller such as ten feet because you cannot work on anything on the roof without some more room.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Seems confusing; if on one point Escapes sell in a flash...then why be so concerned about an appliance that van be dropped in later? When we sold our 17B, some asked/passed when we didnt have A/C. It still sold.

Said it before....order options to fit your needs. Most everything else (except oven) are not too difficult to install later.Get the outside shower tho!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Several Escapes for sale sat for several months. There was plenty of interest but prospective buyers all wanted A/C. One seller went so far as to install A/C to get the unit sold. At the moment, hard to say if that would happen again because of the much longer wait time.

We have had some other items installed in ours that we feel most buyers would want but we do not expect to use.

Even Canadians like to go to Arizona and Florida and all of those hot places! And many of them want A/C.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote