Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ?

Hello everyone, we have been on vacation and had an opportunity to stop by Chilliwack. We had ordered our 21ft a week earlier but now got a chance to actually see one.

First of all, what a great operation Reace and Tammy have there ! We were impressed with their business sense, long term planning, and customer service attitude.

Reace, Tammy, Barb and our assigned agent Sara were helpful, listened to our needs and a joy to partner with. I feel the visit was the best part of our vacation.

Now for my question. We don't want AC. Maybe some day we will change our minds. We prefer using Maxx fan as it's always available ( 12v ) and versatile.

Those of you with 21ft and one standard Maxx fan near the front bed, does it do a pretty good job drawing outdoor air in through the entire trailer via an open dinette window?

Would a second Maxx fan where the AC would have gone help with air changes, exhausting stale air, cooking odors as stove is near by ?

I have read using two fans, one to exhaust and the other to bring outdoor air in, worked well. Those of you that have it did the dual fan meet your expectations?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hello everyone, we have been on vacation and had an opportunity to stop by Chilliwack. We had ordered our 21ft a week earlier but now got a chance to actually see one.

First of all, what a great operation Reace and Tammy have there ! We were impressed with their business sense, long term planning, and customer service attitude.

Reace, Tammy, Barb and our assigned agent Sara were helpful, listened to our needs and a joy to partner with. I feel the visit was the best part of our vacation.

Now for my question. We don't want AC. Maybe some day we will change our minds. We prefer using Maxx fan as it's always available ( 12v ) and versatile.

Those of you with 21ft and one standard Maxx fan near the front bed, does it do a pretty good job drawing outdoor air in through the entire trailer via an open dinette window?

Would a second Maxx fan where the AC would have gone help with air changes, exhausting stale air, cooking odors as stove is near by ?

I have read using two fans, one to exhaust and the other to bring outdoor air in, worked well. Those of you that have it did the dual fan meet your expectations?

Thank you in advance.
That's exactly what we did - no AC, 2 fans and the visit to Escape.

Our trailer rule: Stove turned on = 1 Maxx fan on exhaust. Mainly because we also eliminated the stove exhaust hood for a more open look, and less opportunity for head knocking.

And on those hot days, one on intake and one on exhaust.

No regrets so far.

But that said, we tend to camp in high and/or dry places with no shore power available. Might not work for you in the deep south, but I don't know.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Our original 19 escape did not have air-conditioning. Never missed it. For resale purposes our 21 was ordered with air-conditioning.

We are just returning from a trip to South Carolina, it was our first opportunity to use air conditioning in the Escape. I don't know if we could have survived without, temperatures were not that high but it was so steamy.

My point is, you never know those future trips where it might be necessary and without A/C, when it comes time to sell, you eliminate one half of the US as potential buyers.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Alan !!! I knew you would chime in as I remember your ventilation philosophy, it matches ours as well. No AC, no stove vent as they barely work, and a more open looking interior.

So you normally use the center fan for general cooling and cooking gaseous by-products BUT fire up both fans when extra "cooling" is needed ?

We live in Southern California and by and large its dry here but we will continue to spend our time in all local mountains, Oregon and Canada when we want to be away for longer periods of time. We think Canada is the camping equivalent of Disneyland.

Yes we will travel to the US deep south and Florida but during the winter months. Back east it's humid and AC would help but not having it won't kill us. We will plan on Fall or Spring visits there.

Interesting that you seem to use the center fan more. That makes sense. Do you think if we wanted just one fan it would be where the AC would have been instead of near the front bed ? Do you think you would be happy with just one or see the two as being a better way to go ?
Old 10-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Santiago-

We didn't want A/C either; and considered two fans while speaking with Dennis at last year's rally. Glad we didn't do it; we don't use the first one much and like the skylight effect of the standard vent hatch. You can add one later as the power will be there (A/C ready).
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too opted for no A/C in our 19, and there might have be a half dozen days in over 6 years we might have used it if we had it.

The one fan worked just great for us, as it was mostly evening when we wanted it, and when sleeping would have it drawing out on low speed, with the window over our heads cracked. That fresh air being drawn across our heads felt very nice, something that would be defeated with dual fans in opposite directions. Besides, I can't really see it being that much of an improvement, as the one exhausting will not draw any more than if a window was open.

As far as the hood fan goes, we rarely cooked inside, but used ours almost every time we cooked inside, as it kept the condensation levels down a lot. On my next build, I may eliminate it, but will likely find one myself to install, and just make certain that Escape leaves a 12V drop to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
For resale purposes our 21 was ordered with air-conditioning.
Hi Fudge Brownie,

Yes the humidity back east is pretty bad, I lived it in the fifties when no one I knew had AC, and those summers !!!

Soon our travelling home will have wheels and be able to head north in the summer and south in the winter. Can we enjoy AC now and then, assuming we have shore power? yes of course but those few occasions don't warrant getting it.

Re-sale is important but people like us tend to stick with what we have for the longest time, hence a well made fiberglass RV that lasts. Likely our last RV. I figured when it eventually sell the Escape RV ACs will be totally different and new owner can attach his own brand new modern unit.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
I went 2 Maxx fans,i live in Alberta.Doesn't get to hot or muggy.As far as resale.Reace told me an ac unit would fit into,one of the existing holes.I do much the same exhaust[1] & draw cooler air[2].Now to just get a better mattress,in the 21.Latex?
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Now to just get a better mattress,in the 21.Latex?
We had put a 6" firm quality foam mattress, plus a 2 1/2" latex foam mattress in our 19, and it was like sleeping on a cloud. We plan to do something similar with the 5.0. I might look at a bit thinner mattress for the bottom layer though. Maybe about 4".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We had put a 6" firm quality foam mattress, plus a 2 1/2" latex foam mattress in our 19, and it was like sleeping on a cloud. We plan to do something similar with the 5.0. I might look at a bit thinner mattress for the bottom layer though. Maybe about 4".
thanks; are you talking Temper pedic type?
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
thanks; are you talking Temper pedic type?
I have never tryed the Tempur-pedic mattresses. We got ours here in Calgary at Labbe Bedding, though Dormir is quite good too.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
So you normally use the center fan for general cooling and cooking gaseous by-products BUT fire up both fans when extra "cooling" is needed ?
I use the center fan as the primary for two reasons. It is closer to the stove for removing unwanted cooking byproducts, and second, it is further from the bed and I am very sensitive to noise.

Someone else remarked on exhausting from the center location and keeping the window near the bed open. Well, with 2 fans on exhaust you could have a hurricane in bed. Not that I could sleep under those conditions, but I sure would be "ventilated".
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Someone else remarked on exhausting from the center location and keeping the window near the bed open. Well, with 2 fans on exhaust you could have a hurricane in bed. Not that I could sleep under those conditions, but I sure would be "ventilated".
--
Alan
That was probably me. I could certainly see the hurricane affect happened with two fans on full exhaust, as we only have one on low under those conditions.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Well, with 2 fans on exhaust you could have a hurricane in bed. Not that I could sleep under those conditions, but I sure would be "ventilated".:
Thanks for your real world experience with two Maxx fans Alan.
I am slowly coming to the conclusion that one centrally located one, where the AC would have been, is the best plan.

I am a big believer in exchanging indoor/outdoor air for health as well as efficient comfort. Besides on 12v what good is an AC. The retirement house I designed will have constant highly filtered low flow air exchanges, 24/7 unless of course the surrounding air get a heavy dose of pollution from whatever source. A volcano erupts, refinery explodes, chemical tank cars derailment - your typical neighborhood air polluting sources we read about. Alan, when that happens, we will certainly shut down the intake and exhaust fans and close the windows.

I like the idea of bringing in the pristine outdoor air into our 21' environment for the experience as well as natural cooling.

Thanks for sharing that Alan, very helpful.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #15

If you swap locations for vent/Maxxfan you might want smoke colored plastic on the vent. Otherwise you might have a light issue with sleeping- not unlike what those with 5'ers say about the escape hatch, although it isn't directly overhead.

I like your idea about down the road another owner being able to put in a new unit with a new warranty and possibly of better design & efficiency and perhaps quieter as well. Except for the digital thermostat that controls both the heater & AC not available I see that as a better way to go for those of us who don't plan on using AC due to the way we camp.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If you swap locations for vent/Maxxfan you might want smoke colored plastic on the vent. Otherwise you might have a light issue with sleeping
Ross, glad you had a great trip, welcome back.

I am confused with the smoke vs white fan lid. While visiting ETI, Nigel said neither lid offered "skylight see through" effect. Is this the case ? Do both block light about the same?

We use free overnight stops a lot while en-route and lights coming through the ceiling are a pain when you want to sleep.

Yes we like AC as much as anyone and would consider it if we were in humid areas a lot and attached to power. Since we will plan our travel latitudes according to season and we avoid places that offer power, an AC is a waste for us. The trailer is wired for it and a subsequent owner can drop in the latest and greatest technology available at that time and it will be brand new to boot !
Old 10-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
If I were dropping $30k on a trailer and lived in SoCal, I'd get the AC. The trailer doubles as a nice guest cottage and the cost of installation is pretty minimal $1k when the trailer's being built. Might cost $1500 as an add-on paying US labor. You don't need it until you need it, and why pay more down the road to install it for the next guy?

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It would be tough to go to many of the SW through SE areas of the country in the Sept/Oct Apr/May months without AC and those are really awesome months to go to those areas before they get deluged with the "Snowbirds." The temps are in transition and are fringe with sometimes hot days but cooling nights and while comfortable to enjoy the areas, would be uncomfortable without AC in the trailer. Respectfully, Just my thoughts to throw out there for consideration, but each needs to go with whatever they know works for them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #19

[QUOTE=Santiago;113339]Ross, glad you had a great trip, welcome back.

I am confused with the smoke vs white fan lid. While visiting ETI, Nigel said neither lid offered "skylight see through" effect. Is this the case ? Do both block light about the same?

The standard lens is opaque and we like the fact that it offers natural light over the kitchen area. The area over the Maxxfan doesn't allow much light in even when fully open.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It would be tough to go to many of the SW through SE areas of the country in the Sept/Oct Apr/May months without AC and those are really awesome months to go to those areas before they get deluged with the "Snowbirds." The temps are in transition and are fringe with sometimes hot days but cooling nights and while comfortable to enjoy the areas, would be uncomfortable without AC in the trailer. Respectfully, Just my thoughts to throw out there for consideration, but each needs to go with whatever they know works for them.
Point taken; when we left a week before Labor Day(don't go in Summer due to the hoards) we would've normally stopped along the Colorado River near Needles, however it was 109 degrees so we kept going to Williams. Long first day of driving, however we do not like RV parks, and dislike generators even more. The rest of the trip through CO was fantastic. There is a ying/yang to everything- but we still have zero regrets for not having another 100 lbs of something on the roof that is another maintenance item we would probably never use. The whole resale thing is just some people's opinion. Hope we can at least agree on that one.