Dumpter Find - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
It’s not dumpster diving but I have a tool bag full of tools I have found along the roadside and in parking lots. They make great sacrificial tools when one need to use persuasion on nuts n bolts that are stubborn even after applying heat or liquid wrench type products.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Finds

You know you’ve had a good day when you find a tool that is better than any one like it that you already have. While waiting to discuss a project with a Boy Scout, I saw this ratchet lying in the street gutter partially covered by leaves one fine fall day. Have used it for about 15 years.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
wrench.jpg  
Old 07-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Oh brother, here I read these posts and then go for a dog walk around the block.

Neighbor has a hammock out front with a free sign on it. M. says she loves it and tells me to get the truck and take it home. Neighbor comes out and I plead with him to raise the price. OK, he said, I'll double it, but 2 times free is still free.

I guess I can't complain too much. My favorite light weight lounge chair also came home the same way.

Born to scrounge Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0040_resize.JPG   10-05-2018 2-17-08 PM_0004_resize.jpg   IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0TA
I was camped out near Yosemite and went to put trash in a dumpster. I found a shiny new Mr. Heater propane heater carefully posed on top of the trash. I grabbed it on the theory that it could be fixed. I fired it up and it worked fine for about 30 seconds and went out. When I got home I got on Amazon and checked the negative reviews. The first one I looked at was a lament that the outside of the box did not state that it did not work at high altitudes! I carry it in my 5.0TA and seldom use the furnace. The heater is very efficient and does not deplete the battery.
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh brother, here I read these posts and then go for a dog walk around the block.

Neighbor has a hammock out front with a free sign on it. M. says she loves it and tells me to get the truck and take it home. Neighbor comes out and I plead with him to raise the price. OK, he said, I'll double it, but 2 times free is still free.

I guess I can't complain too much. My favorite light weight lounge chair also came home the same way.

Born to scrounge Ron
Ron now that hammock is sweet and I love your lounger too . Still have a couple of those that are chairs they are so comfortable too ! Hard to find anymore . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ron,
Want a lawn swing free? We bought a second one to replace the cushions and the top cover on the one we already have. The rest is in the box, in the back shed.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ron,
Want a lawn swing free? We bought a second one to replace the cushions and the top cover on the one we already have. The rest is in the box, in the back shed.
Good place for it, just don't leave it at the curb with a free sign on it on my blocks.

Ron
Old 07-19-2020, 12:57 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hey, it's already on a dolly. Can have that too.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
You know you’ve had a good day when you find a tool that is better than any one like it that you already have. While waiting to discuss a project with a Boy Scout, I saw this ratchet lying in the street gutter partially covered by leaves one fine fall day. Have used it for about 15 years.
Iowa Dave
It’s a SnapOn, ain’t even broke in yet....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
While taking trash out @ Abiliene SP, noticed a cooler sitting next to dumpster. Upon further inspection, noticed it was a Yeti. Took back to camp, filled with water, no leaks! Guess previous owner ran out of space and dumped it. Good find for a $300 cooler!
You found my cooler!
Not really, I’ll bet someone is looking for it. Probably was dumping stuff and emptying the cooler then just forgot it. Oh well someone’s loss your gain😁
Old 07-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have always set unneeded but useful items next to the dumpsters in campgrounds, often put out a "free" table in front of the house, and made major contributions to the "Blue Tarp" that Iowa Dave sets up at the Niagara Wine Escape Rally. I have also collected items at the same locations.

One of my favorites is a building at the Nantucket Island transfer station & dump called "Take It or Leave It." All kinds of turn over of useful, but unneeded stuff. I usually go home with 20 - 30 books, and the Pelonis electric ceramic heater I use in the trailer came from there.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

One of my favorites is a building at the Nantucket Island transfer station & dump called "Take It or Leave It."
Wish our transfer station had that. I hate seeing folks tossing things like lawn mowers that I know from experience might be thrown out just because of a minor problem.

If you see someone tossing something that you could use, too bad, no scavenging.

There was a dude working there who took great delight in jumping on anyone who dared to pick up an item once it hit the floor.

One day I backed in next to guy who had a 6' sliding patio door and he was about to dump it. I had a use for it so when he confirmed that he was chucking it I said that I'll give you a hand to slide it onto my truck. The dude saw what was happening and came at us gangbusters but at some point realized what we did was legal, the door hadn't been dumped. Don't think he ever forgave me though.

Ron
Old 07-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Wish our transfer station had that. I hate seeing folks tossing things like lawn mowers that I know from experience might be thrown out just because of a minor problem.

If you see someone tossing something that you could use, too bad, no scavenging.

There was a dude working there who took great delight in jumping on anyone who dared to pick up an item once it hit the floor.

One day I backed in next to guy who had a 6' sliding patio door and he was about to dump it. I had a use for it so when he confirmed that he was chucking it I said that I'll give you a hand to slide it onto my truck. The dude saw what was happening and came at us gangbusters but at some point realized what we did was legal, the door hadn't been dumped. Don't think he ever forgave me though.

Ron
That dude was the despotic sovereign of his little trash kingdom, eh? There are people like that. Maybe his wife ruled the roost at home, and this was his only outlet.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I bought a Yeti 2 years ago and I wish they had it back. It doesn't perform nearly as well as advertised. It supposed to keep ice 4 days or so but I'm lucky to get just 30 hrs or around there.

Not outside in the TX heat either, inside.
True. The Polar Cap from Cabelas works FAR better than the Yeti, and at a much lower price to boot. The Polar Cap can keep ice for several days, even in a South Texas summer. With the Yeti we are lucky to get a day and a half or so.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
That dude was the despotic sovereign of his little trash kingdom, eh? There are people like that. Maybe his wife ruled the roost at home, and this was his only outlet.
A friend worked at a transfer station and made a few $$ salvaging weed wackers, leaf blowers and even a couple of snow blowers. If they required more than minimal work he just tossed them. More often than not just cleaning the carb or adjusting a belt did the trick. Today’s society just throws everything away. We have an 18+ year old clothes dryer that’s on it’s 3rd belt and at least it’s third heating element. Couldn’t come close to buying a new one for what it took to fix it, even paying myself for the labor 😆
Old 07-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you want the best scavenging situation there is, find out the Dorm move out day at college or university. The more prestigious and expensive the school the better the haul. Incredible nearly new stuff is set out and abandoned all over the campus and you won’t believe the items you’ll score.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #37

Quote:

Ron
Since Nantucket is a small island, anything they can do to avoid landfilling or having to fill a truck that has to be ferried 2.5 hours to the mainland is golden. They do have "Dump Guards", but they are mainly there to insure you do the correct sorting into the various bins.

Here is the main building & the Take It or Leave It building::
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1453.jpg   IMG_1456.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If you want the best scavenging situation there is, find out the Dorm move out day at college or university. The more prestigious and expensive the school the better the haul. Incredible nearly new stuff is set out and abandoned all over the campus and you won’t believe the items you’ll score.
The Newman Center (the campus Catholic center) has a group started by my late wife & one of the students called People Against Poverty. Almost all of their funding comes from collecting at the end of the academic year here at the college. They collect & donate 5-6 tons of food that is donated to the local food pantries, cement blocks that go to Habitat for Humanity, and enough clothing, much which mom & dad bought for "going to college" that still had the tags on them, that are sold at a garage sale that makes thousands. This is for a small (9000 student) state university; I can't imagine what it would be like for a large one.

We put donation boxes in the dorm lobbies, and my contribution was to pull the seats out of my mini van & make a circle of the dorms completely filling the van with food & clothing every day for 2 weeks.

It has been 20 years since we started the program, but it is still running (although obviously skipped this year).
Old 07-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #39

Quote:
It has been 20 years since we started the program, but it is still running (although obviously skipped this year).
So you do good work in addition to making great pies.

Ron
Old 07-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The Newman Center (the campus Catholic center) has a group started by my late wife & one of the students called People Against Poverty. Almost all of their funding comes from collecting at the end of the academic year here at the college. They collect & donate 5-6 tons of food that is donated to the local food pantries, cement blocks that go to Habitat for Humanity, and enough clothing, much which mom & dad bought for "going to college" that still had the tags on them, that are sold at a garage sale that makes thousands. This is for a small (9000 student) state university; I can't imagine what it would be like for a large one.

We put donation boxes in the dorm lobbies, and my contribution was to pull the seats out of my mini van & make a circle of the dorms completely filling the van with food & clothing every day for 2 weeks.

That’s really awesome Jon !Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote