Dumpter Find - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I probably should add that since my wife's illness & passing & my more recent traveling, I no longer am part of the program, but I have at least 10 years of fond memories.

One of the more interesting was driving a hardware store donated truck between collection points with what was probably 4-5 times the rated payload in cement blocks. No one told me the truck capacity & the hardware store owner said fill the bed, not realizing how many cement blocks students use to raise furniture off the floor. We only stacked them 12 rows high!

As to the program, I know other colleges have similar ones. The college benefits by not having as many runs of left overs to the dump, janitor hours, etc, and almost all of the donated clothing came in cleaned & in good condition.

Much of the income from the sale of the clothing went to college students during the year. I don't know if it is a problem at the more prosperous private colleges, but I was continually amazed by the number of students literally starving to stay in school. We also financed emergency trips home, etc. Not a bad project since it provided year round support put together with two weeks of work.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I probably should add that since my wife's illness & passing & my more recent traveling, I no longer am part of the program, but I have at least 10 years of fond memories.

One of the more interesting was driving a hardware store donated truck between collection points with what was probably 4-5 times the rated payload in cement blocks. No one told me the truck capacity & the hardware store owner said fill the bed, not realizing how many cement blocks students use to raise furniture off the floor. We only stacked them 12 rows high!

As to the program, I know other colleges have similar ones. The college benefits by not having as many runs of left overs to the dump, janitor hours, etc, and almost all of the donated clothing came in cleaned & in good condition.

Much of the income from the sale of the clothing went to college students during the year. I don't know if it is a problem at the more prosperous private colleges, but I was continually amazed by the number of students literally starving to stay in school. We also financed emergency trips home, etc. Not a bad project since it provided year round support put together with two weeks of work.
Again Awesome Jon ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Hold my ankles.....I'm going in....

I have acquired too numerous to note items from dumpsters. I picked up the habit while working....the exit door to the facility was next to and above the dumpster. I'd spy new, nearly new, useful, valuable items tossed out. One memorable one was a small transformer winding machine. I retrieved it, sold it on Ebay and learned the buyer would use it to wind pick-ups for electric guitars. Great! Another one was a film battery winding machine tossed and was sold at our garage sale to a fellow that used the fractional HP motor to grind venison come hunting season. People are utterly amazing in hacking, reuse, re-configuring,& adapting. It's one of humanities best qualities.

Like I said,

hold my ankles, I'm going in!
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well if you have to depend on someone to hold your ankles I might beat you to it using a nice 6' ladder that fell into my truck at the transfer station.

Of course it was really defective, almost new but the rivet holding the paint tray had popped out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #45

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Made a quick buck selling Yeti ($175), lots of inquiries. Prior to selling, was curious if the hype on these coolers is true. Filled my Orca (same size) and the Yeti with a 10 lb bag of ice. Twenty four hours later, Orca had ice, Yeti did not. So no need to keep.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #46

Trailer: 2007 17b
Nice find!
Nice to have the lockable option for bears and to keep the ipa's safe👍
Toddybegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #47

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Made a quick buck selling Yeti ($175), lots of inquiries. Prior to selling, was curious if the hype on these coolers is true. Filled my Orca (same size) and the Yeti with a 10 lb bag of ice. Twenty four hours later, Orca had ice, Yeti did not. So no need to keep.
In other words: you might need another cooler someday, but not yeti.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
In other words: you might need another cooler someday, but not yeti.
Excellent observation.
You have great skills
Iowa Dave
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 2023 21NE
I was a Camphost at a coastal California state park for 4 summers. I found an amazing number of items next to dumpsters. What happens is lot of international travelers buy all their camping equipment in the states. They travel for a month or 2. When it’s time to go home they abandon their equipment rather than take it home on a plane. A lot of nearly new quality equipment is left, usually next to the dumpster.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We stayed at Point Wolf CG in Fundy NP, across from us was a young family of 4 in a tent, the 2 kids were toddlers. Rained like the dickens over night. Come morning they were gone, never to return. The tent, and sleeping bags were piled up on the sites trash can. I did not take them.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #51
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
At the end of the school year, we went down to help our son pack up his stuff from his college apartment. The dilemma was, what to do with an old but nice rocking chair he had acquired, free from a friend. When done packing there was absolutely no more room left in our vehicle for that chair (and all his friends had already gone home) so we put a sign on it that said 'Free - Please take me home' and placed it next to the dumpster. Just minutes later, we heard the dump truck come and the garbage man jumped out. He looked at the chair and note. Then he sat and rocked in it with his drink in hand. We thought, surely, he was going to then pick it up and throw it in the dumpster but no... We watched him pick it up and carefully, put in the front seat of his truck. I'm sure this wasn't his first freebee and that he's heard the phrase, 'Oh Dear, not again!' -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Maybe not

Hi Bea,
I say when he came through the door of his mobile home with that rocker his wife said “Bubba, that’s wonderful, we finally got a complete set of 6!” Dumpster divers need love too.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #53
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Bea,
I say when he came through the door of his mobile home with that rocker his wife said “Bubba, that’s wonderful, we finally got a complete set of 6!” Dumpster divers need love too.
Iowa Dave
Yes, indeed Dave! ...In anticipation, of completing the set and he was probably singing this song along the way...https://youtu.be/HLWS30KfIEo. Cheers, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
I was a Camphost at a coastal California state park for 4 summers. I found an amazing number of items next to dumpsters. What happens is lot of international travelers buy all their camping equipment in the states. They travel for a month or 2. When it’s time to go home they abandon their equipment rather than take it home on a plane. A lot of nearly new quality equipment is left, usually next to the dumpster.

That explains it.
We were camping at Yellowstone NP one year, and a family, using an unidentified Asian language, set up a brand new tent and other new camping gear at the next site.
We went off to see Old Faithful and other sights. We watched Old Faithful's on-time display in a drenching downpour with accompanying wind (one of those memories you never forget, and laugh about,,,,Now!);( typical for ID and MT mountain weather).
When we got back to camp, we noticed that their tent was collapsed, with about 4" of water in it, with all their gear, including the sleeping bags.
(Also, a campground crew was making a pile of aluminum scrap from the remains of awning assemblies left out and blown away.)
Later, we heard the family next door drive up, get out, raise their voices in dismay, and leave, never to return.
Now we know the explanation.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:54 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I bought the name (Yeti) and am very sorry I did. An old Coleman did better at ice retention.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
No plans to buy a cooler but guess I'll stay away from Yeti. My Yeti can holder keeps my beer nice and cold though
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote