Dumpter Find - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 10:44 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Dumpter Find

While taking trash out @ Abiliene SP, noticed a cooler sitting next to dumpster. Upon further inspection, noticed it was a Yeti. Took back to camp, filled with water, no leaks! Guess previous owner ran out of space and dumped it. Good find for a $300 cooler!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3306.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Free Coolers

When I had mowing crews around the year 2000, methamphetamine manufacture in our area was rampant. The tweakers would tap into anhydrous ammonia tanks left in farm fields in the spring and fall. They would tip up one end and drill a hole in the tank. Absolutely crazy. They would use a cooler to catch the anhydrous used in the home chemistry cook. Then they would abandon the cooler. It was common to see them in ditches out in the country. We had training sessions for the mow crews to stay away from abandoned coolers. Had a couple instances when seasonal people didn’t listen and got knocked down by the ammonia in the cooler when they opened it up.
My point/ be careful when picking up left behind items.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-17-2020, 05:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
While taking trash out @ Abiliene SP, noticed a cooler sitting next to dumpster. Upon further inspection, noticed it was a Yeti. Took back to camp, filled with water, no leaks! Guess previous owner ran out of space and dumped it. Good find for a $300 cooler!
I bought a Yeti 2 years ago and I wish they had it back. It doesn't perform nearly as well as advertised. It supposed to keep ice 4 days or so but I'm lucky to get just 30 hrs or around there.

Not outside in the TX heat either, inside.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I take a cheap 18 pack Igloo cooler and stick it inside much larger cheap Igloo cooler that it will fit inside of and for about $50 I have a pretty good performing cooler with the same capacity of a Yeti.

I’m pretty frugal. But free is free! : ))
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Best cooler by a long run. Lifetime!! preforms like a Yeti or Orca and costs $99
https://coolers.lifetime.com/
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
Nice discovery! Does it make you want to start dumpster-diving? My wife's aunt does that all the time, she thinks it's fun and profitable.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I found an adjustable shower chair sitting next to the hopper at the town dump one day. As there was nothing wrong with it I took it home to use for various outside jobs, like waxing the trailer. You should have seen the shocked look on my very spoiled 12 year old grand sons face when I mentioned where I got it. I think I dropped a few notches in his eyes after that.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Kids that age sometimes need a reality check anyway!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #9

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Kids that age sometimes need a reality check anyway!
I was trying to figure out how to say that very thing. They wouldn’t think twice about buying a used electronic game but when I wind up a ball of baler twine with square knots tying it together off of four bales of straw, the 13 year old thinks I’m weird and the 3 year old wants to learn the knots. Go figure.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Sportman cooler

We bought a sport a cooler from Sams club for $120 I think and it keeps ice for over 5 days easy .The only downside it weighs to much and it’s also bigger then the Yeti cooler
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I found an adjustable shower chair sitting next to the hopper at the town dump one day. As there was nothing wrong with it I took it home to use for various outside jobs, like waxing the trailer. You should have seen the shocked look on my very spoiled 12 year old grand sons face when I mentioned where I got it. I think I dropped a few notches in his eyes after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I was trying to figure out how to say that very thing. They wouldn’t think twice about buying a used electronic game but when I wind up a ball of baler twine with square knots tying it together off of four bales of straw, the 13 year old thinks I’m weird and the 3 year old wants to learn the knots. Go figure.
Iowa Dave
I started watching the "free" posts on craigslist since they first started. I've found some amazing items, like a Murphy bed, just before I was about to go out and pay some serious bucks for one. But, yes, sometimes you mention a find to someone and they give you a look like, oh you poor person you have to use castoffs. I've paid some big bucks for stuff over the years but I still have a hard time turning down free.

Dave, I wouldn't have turned down the baler twine either. I just bought a pallet of concrete pavers and they protect them by winding a cheap rope back and forth between the layers. It's cheap rope but I couldn't just throw it out. Lot's of time I need some rope on something that just needs tying up and not much strength.

OK, I'm a scrounge, I admit it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0039_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Neighbors kid grew up and moved away, left behind three boxes full of motorcycle parts the neighbor was going to take to the dump. I took them and put a Honda 350 motorcycle back together; rode that thing to commute to school for my last 2 years of college. Then I swapped it for a nice floor standing drill press!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Have been a dumpster finder for as long as I can remember . Found lots of useful items , some sold , some gave away to help someone in fact the new birch corner moulding in the trailer right now found going down the road installed over the new flooring I added . Used to embarrass the kids if they were with me at the time but not going to change me ever . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #14

Swapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Neighbors kid grew up and moved away, left behind three boxes full of motorcycle parts the neighbor was going to take to the dump. I took them and put a Honda 350 motorcycle back together; rode that thing to commute to school for my last 2 years of college. Then I swapped it for a nice floor standing drill press!
I bought a Honda 305 Superhawk. Rode it for three years including Iowa to Idaho and back. Sold it and bought a wedding ring that’s lasted 50 years. Can’t find a woman like that in a dumpster.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-18-2020, 01:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I noticed that the Yeti cooler was beside the dumpster, not in it. Perhaps the person who dumped it was just too lazy or weak to lift it up high enough to put it in, but sometimes people leave stuff around dumpsters (or beside their garbage at the end of their driveway on collection day) because they don't want it anymore but they know it is still usable for someone else. I'm not about to dive into a dumpster, but I have a bike that was left beside one that's perfectly good.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought a couple camp chairs at Canadian Tire. After sitting in them for a while at camp, I though it best to place them next to the garbage bin rather than pack them home.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #17

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
not at the dumpster, but close

We're here for 5 weeks and after just one we got two nice recliners for free. Nancy used her oxiclean on them and they look good and work well. We have promised them to someone else when we leave because they are too big for us to carry around.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #18

Camping

Hope you’re having a good camp Jack and Nancy. I’m sure you’re beating the heat.
Been very humid here. We’re staying in shape working in the garden. Jake says Hi to Murphy.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
CBDAC276-6353-4739-A140-1DFF18A4B231.jpg   EE4BB2DD-B4AC-4953-B2D6-01EE554BA42A.jpg   67C21C81-CDCB-451C-91E5-6939D7436D66.jpg  
Old 07-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I have a bike that was left beside one that's perfectly good.
Brian there's a danger in that. We were camping at a park where friends had a trailer in Mesa AZ. The park had a rule that dogs could not walk on the roads so I would carry ours under my arm riding an older bicycle our friend lent me to the dog park where I would park the bike near a dumpster and walk a hundred yards or so into the dog park. Once I returned to find the bike gone. I did get it back. Someone took it thinking it was left near the dumpster because it was no longer wanted.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Brian there's a danger in that. We were camping at a park where friends had a trailer in Mesa AZ. The park had a rule that dogs could not walk on the roads so I would carry ours under my arm riding an older bicycle our friend lent me to the dog park where I would park the bike near a dumpster and walk a hundred yards or so into the dog park. Once I returned to find the bike gone. I did get it back. Someone took it thinking it was left near the dumpster because it was no longer wanted.
Yes, but this one was within the fence surrounding the dumpsters at an apartment building, along with discarded furniture; no one would mistake that for a bike parking area. This is why some people putting out stuff like this go the trouble of putting a sign on it saying something like "free".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote