E19 vs 21NE? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
E19 vs 21NE?

Has there been a good comparison post about the19 vs 21NE? I've searched, but ...?
We currently have a fairly new 19 but we are pondering what we'd gain from the switch. I understand the dinette is bigger, the trailer is wider and the options are more plentiful.
I've studied the comparison specs. The exterior width of the 21 is 4" wider, but it doesn't tell me the INterior width. The webside stared both queens are 60" x 80" but if th e21NE is 4" wider, how is the extra width filled?

Have any of ya'll made the switch yet?
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21NE
In the 21NE, there is additional space at the head & foot of the bed (which can help avoid some condensation I suppose).

The 21NE also has a wider aisle - my wife does yoga in it, and that was one of the reasons we chose it over the 19 (among others). We also both just felt the 19 dinette was too claustrophobic compared to the 21, especially for the person sitting behind the bathroom.

As we're just retired, we plan to spend a lot longer periods living in it, and a decade ago we would have opted for the 19, feeling it was more compact and would access more remote places & sites. But the thought of being more cramped isn't attractive to us now. And we came from a Burro 13'. Everyone's situation is different.

Both dual-axle trailers, and the 21 doesn't weigh that much more, and I find it tows and backs up easily.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #3

Thanks, Felix! We love our 19 and are tempted to switch to a 21NE.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
...and the options are more plentiful.
Like what? Didn’t realize there was stuff you could get on a 21NE that you couldn’t get on a 19. Just curious.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #5

There really is no one reason. I'd like a bigger sleep area for grandkids - a cot. I'd like the lift kit - so sewage draining is easier. I'd like a manual awning - if the power one breaks it's $$$. Then there's new vs used.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 21’ 2020
I agree with Felix2. We had the 19’ for 2 years, and then bought a 21’. Just more comfy with the added space, especially in the dinette area.
We had the Springfield table trimmed down, which allowed it to then lower down to form an open, large sofa area.
It rendered more space in which to maneuver, and was much more comfortable when staying inside.
The bed is just a few inches narrower, however. Good for colder nights, but a bit tight. The dinette bed could be used if that’s an issue.
Storage is a bit more accessible, too.
If we had to do it over again, we would have purchased the 21‘ right off the bat.
This also required that we purchase a vehicle with a stronger engine. Pulling the 21‘ with the Chevy traverse (5200#) just didn’t feel safe to us. So, with our new Ford expedition (9200#), we feel much safer and in control.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #7

Thanks, Artlady! I have a long and boring story about our initial choice between the 21 C and the 19. I was considering buying the 21NE and then selling our 19. I've pondered, pontificated, and polled. The math doesn't work for me. Sticking with the 19.