East West width of bed area - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
East West width of bed area

Does the Escape 5.0 have enough width to put a single bed mattress east to west in the bed area? I will be a single person traveling alone and would rather have a single bed mattress laid east to west in the bed area where the queen bed is.
I would rather roll of out of bed rather than have to scoot out forward.
sovransoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There is reportedly some taper in the width of the sleeping loft area of the 5.0TA (although none is shown on the floorplan, and none was noticeable in the earlier 5.0), but certainly should be wide enough for the length of a single bed. The overall trailer width is 2.2 m (88"), and even a Queen bed is only 2.0 m (80") long. An Escape 17' is 20 cm (8") narrower and the bed is used across the width this way. Watch for access - both head and foot would be blocked by cabinets (wardrobe on the street side and the panel from drawers to overhead cabinet on the curb side).

Current 5.0TA owners can confirm or correct.

This would leave a large storage volume in the forward part of the loft, but I suggest using it for bulky but light items, because that's not where you want a lot of weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you mean the TA, then yes there is plenty of room. I measure 84" wide by the step, and 80" where you run into the 2 wooden structures (small cubby) at the front of the loft. Measuring from the step to the wooden structures is 65". These measurement are close, but not exact, I did not remove the mattress to measure the floor footprint. You might be able to have ETI delete the wooden things.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You might be able to have ETI delete the wooden things.
Perhaps, but interior cabinetry is commonly used to help support the body structure. In the case of the curbside panel, I assume it holds up the upper cabinet. Perhaps it can be cut back somewhat...
Old 07-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a 5.0TA and sleep on a twin airbed. I prefer to sleep front to back, because I don't want my head nor my feet to be in a window. The bed is easy to get in and out of. I can actually stand on my feet and being bent over make the bed. Not even close to standing up, but close enough.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
You might be able to have ETI delete the wooden things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Perhaps, but interior cabinetry is commonly used to help support the body structure. In the case of the curbside panel, I assume it holds up the upper cabinet. Perhaps it can be cut back somewhat...
Oops... Bob is referring to "wooden things" at the front of the loft, not the panels at the rear (opening). I doubt that these support the trailer roof, but they probably support the cabinets along the side, and they make fitting the interior lining easier. It seems to me that they would be so far forward (65" from the edge) that they wouldn't matter to the side-so-side single bed arrangement.

These photos from the 5.0TA Pictures page of the Escape website show the box-like wooden structures at the far end of the sleeping loft.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can actually stand on my feet and being bent over make the bed. Not even close to standing up, but close enough.
I'm jealous.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I'm jealous.
Okay, I'm short... 5'7" and most of the times I'm on my hands and knees making the bed. Love sheets and and electric blanket for the winter! No way, no how would I have the cubbies deleted in the 5.0TA. I'm a reader and wear reading glasses. It's so nice to pitch both into the cubby when it's time to sleep. I can't tell you how many pairs of glasses I've smashed because there was no good place to put them... no problem now! YMMV

But truly, scooting down 3' or so isn't an issue for everything else ya get with the 5er
Old 07-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #10

Thanks, I guess I will have to see how it goes before I make any changes. I'm 5'9" but being an older male I have to get up during the night to pee. I am use to just rolling out of bed without much effort. I watch people who have to scoot out of bed in truck campers and I am pretty sure that will not work out for me.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
Site Team

I'm 5'7" and can collect Social Security if I wish (I don't) and get up in the middle of the night too.

IF you don't have the cubbies removed (I won't recommend that for reasons I stated above), try whatever you think would work for you. If it doesn't work, change it. Aren't we glad there are options we can try...
Old 07-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I am 5'10" and I slept east/west in the casita. The Home is wider.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

Thanks Donna. You're right about the options, which I am very glad about now.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

Do you still have the Casita? I was looking at them but they seem too small. Also they don't have a 5th wheel version. From what I am told 5th wheel towing is much easier and safer.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovransoul View Post
Do you still have the Casita? I was looking at them but they seem too small. Also they don't have a 5th wheel version. From what I am told 5th wheel towing is much easier and safer.
That went away two Escapes ago. I do have an extra 5.0 living in my driveway in VA.