Ebikes on Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #21

Trailer: ?
L

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Helmet use for us depends on where we're riding, we do not use them on paved bike trails, pretty much everywhere else we do.
Good plan, Bob.

Like seatbelts, helmets often reduce injuries and sometimes prevent deaths.

Some of the e-bikes under discussion can hit 20 mph. A crash at that speed will likely result in significant injuries.

Enjoy your day.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Good plan, Bob.

Like seatbelts, helmets often reduce injuries and sometimes prevent deaths.

Some of the e-bikes under discussion can hit 20 mph. A crash at that speed will likely result in significant injuries.

Enjoy your day.

Ed
I always wear my helmet when riding a bike, regardless of where I am going to be riding. Who knows what circumstances may arise that will result in a crash. For old farts like most of us, crashing a bicycle is like throwing a bowling ball into a glassware shop, there is sure to be some damage!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
I have a Pedego "Interceptor" step-thru model. It rides on a Thule Easy Fold 2 rack in front of my truck, not on the back of my 5.0 because I did not find an rv rear mount (or swivel wheel trailer) that would warranty their product when used with short RVs, esp if used for ebikes.

The rack locks in the receiver. The mount on the rack itself locks to the bike. I then use a "Foldy Lock" and 2 cable locks. That is 4 locks to be cut/destroyed to encourage the causual thief to move on. If seeing that isn't enough discouragement then the vibration alarm might be just the added encouragement they need. That alarm gives its warning chirp just closing the truck door or tailgate.
Attached Thumbnails
PhotoGrid_1553540484219(1)(1)(1)(1)(1).jpg  
Old 12-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Be careful you dont obscure your license plate and, very importantly, tail and stop lights! I hauled boxes on a plug in rack 1000 miles before I realized I'd completely covered all the important stuff back there.

G
Old 12-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
"Does anyone actually ride with a motorcycle helmet? Think I'll start off like that with boots, gloves, and a one piece AeroStitch riding suit. (So good to hear there's no inflation - my first Aero-Stitch was about $500 and the second about $750, now it's $1,337)."

As a many decade motorcyclist, and long term Aerostich owner, I have never paid that much for the one piece suit. The secret, I have bought every suit I have ever owned USED. The most I have paid was $450. Like a lot of motorcycle gear, there is plenty to be found on the used market, as people get into and out of riding.

A side benefit of buying used is it is truly the green thing to do. In the USA, we tend to overconsume and there is a huge quantity of high quality USED stuff out there to be had.

I am not an E-bike rider. I still ride a traditional bicycle. There, the weight of a full face helmet and riding suit can be quite a burden. At the same time, I would be safer.

On the subject of racks, very few of the Thule branded racks are approved for RV use. do not know if they are being overly conservative or not.....
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I can't imagine wearing a full motorcycle helment on an ebike. you're still pedalling,a nd you're not going much faster than 20 or 25 MPH. If a conventional bicycle helmet seems too minimal, look at what the BMX kids wear
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #27

Trailer: ?
I’ve always put car seat belts and my bike helmet in the same safety category.

All these years, I’ve never had a need for either, but if the need should arise, I’ll likely be real glad I was wearing the seat belt or bike helmet.

Then again; your head, your choice.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Years ago before they were mandatory my son lost his best friend when he was only 12 yrs old they were riding they’re bikes on the school playground n his friend slide in the gravel lost control fell n hit his head. If he had been wearing a helmet he still be alive today. So if one doesn’t want to wear a helmet when operating any kind of bike or motorcycle, they do so at they’re on risk of severe injury or death. Just my 2 cents on the subject for what it is worth
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have been thinking about buying an e-bike for over a year now. I read posts on this subject with great interest. When out there with the trailer, I like the idea of getting on the trails without walking on them. The perfect way to get exercise without really exercising. Go farther, see more, return in time for supper with no sweat, leg pain, or elevated heartbeat.

Things that have so far stopped me at the window shopping stage: Being 6'7", is there a bike to fit me and if compromise is required will a bad choice turn into an uncomfortable ride? These are not cheap bikes, which makes them a target for thieves. Will a 60 pound bike hanging off my trailer be a safe tow? Will it become an expensive toy I quickly tire of because of being so progressively senior?
Old 12-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Things that have so far stopped me at the window shopping stage: Being 6'7", is there a bike to fit me and if compromise is required will a bad choice turn into an uncomfortable ride?
you'll need an XL or larger frame, and depending on your overall build (how long your legs are vs your torso, for instance), different brands have a different fit... For example, Specialized bikes tend to have a 'long cockpit', be longer from seat to handlebar, so are better for someone with a larger torso.

if you're looking for a mountain bike for dirt trail riding, I would for sure go for a 29er at that size, the larger wheels are a good thing. for a hybrid road/city kinda bike, fat 700c wheels with lots of spokes.

at 6'7, you're likely fairly heavy too, which in the cycling world is known as a 'clydesdale'... some bikes are better/sturdier than others for such riders. a good bike shop should help you find a good fit. if you get a bad vibe from a bike shop, find another. expect a decent ebike to be $2000-3000, maybe more for a quality full suspension mountain bike.

for sure, I would want a 'mid drive' pedal assist style ebike, and not a hub drive. pedal assist still feels like riding a bicycle, you pedal to make it go, the motor just adds a power boost to your legs, quite transparently, you still need to downshift when you stop and go up hills, upshift for cruising at speed and downhill. hub drives tend to be heavier, and are more like riding a moped, with a throttle... also hub drives make it really hard to fix a flat tire as there's wiring to the wheel axle.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #31

Trailer: None
To the original question, I would use an OnGuard Rottweiller armored cable to secure the bike if a U-lock won't work. U-locks are by far the best way to lock a bike; nothing is perfect or will withstand a battery-powered saw for much more than 30 seconds, but lesser attacks can be thwarted. Cable locks are just a joke: a small diagonal cutter in the palm of a hand can nip through a cable quickly and quietly; the local police here were giving away u-locks in return for cable locks in order to reduce thefts. The armored cables don't usually fit into the jaws of a cable or bolt cutter, and deform and jam them if they do - not as good as a u-lock but pretty close. Never buy a lock with a cylindrical key - they are trivial to pick with a Bic pen. There are online sites that rate bike locks and should be referred to for the specific model of interest. My armored cable (above) and u-lock are by OnGuard, a well-respected brand, and I was able to order them keyed-alike. I also have a linked-plate lock by Abus (also a good brand) which is fairly secure. But make no mistake: if your bike is not being guarded and a pro bike thief sees and wants it, it will be gone in less than a minute. The best place to store it is out of sight - maybe a really small folder like the Brompton (electric) put under the berth would be most secure.

As for the ideal bike, for travelling I like the Brompton, available with electric motor or can be converted. For riding I would want a 750W mid-drive with belt drive, Nexus 8-speed hub gear, and 52V battery pack. Something like this but without the high tech gizmos: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...e-ultrabike--2
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #32
Site Team

best bike lock per a master lock picker...

Old 12-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Be careful you dont obscure your license plate and, very importantly, tail and stop lights! I hauled boxes on a plug in rack 1000 miles before I realized I'd completely covered all the important stuff back there.

G
I have the license plate, brake light, turn signal option for my 1-UP. I use a pro cover and it all works well. The photo doesn't show the light well, but it is right below the blurred out plate. I ordered a 4-pin plug at the hitch as part of my build sheet so it ties into the factory light and brake system.

My E-Bike is a Trek Dual Sport with the battery concealed within the down tube and a Bosh Crank drive motor. I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
F0ED3A68-9B1B-4B96-A205-568B2991F95C_1_201_a.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
... My E-Bike is a Trek Dual Sport with the battery concealed within the down tube and a Bosh Crank drive motor. I love it!

Does the strap between the rim and the battery/frame make a difference with the 1up?
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm curious about the distance of the handle bar to the back window.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:52 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I have the license plate, brake light, turn signal option for my 1-UP. I use a pro cover and it all works well. The photo doesn't show the light well, but it is right below the blurred out plate. I ordered a 4-pin plug at the hitch as part of my build sheet so it ties into the factory light and brake system.

My E-Bike is a Trek Dual Sport with the battery concealed within the down tube and a Bosh Crank drive motor. I love it!
I notice you have fenders on your bike that look like the ones that my bike has. I didn’t think a 1-Up could work on a bike with fenders because it needs to hold the wheel. Please tell how you do it. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2023, 10:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
https://1up-usa.com/product/fender-cushion
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 11:02 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwinfrey View Post
that and strap the wheels to the tray they sit on so they can't bounce out, and then you don't need to apply much force to the fender.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that and strap the wheels to the tray they sit on so they can't bounce out, and then you don't need to apply much force to the fender.
Great idea John.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
actually, you might not have to worry about a transparent cover. At least on my E21, the upper outer clearance lights are actually signal lights, so I think covering the lower ones does not matter, if the uppers signal as well. Heavy emphasis on think, the law might be different - I never assume logic when it comes to law, lawyers, or police.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote