Electric Jack or Manual? Thoughts? Trouble? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
You could always get the manual jack since it comes standard. If you don't like it, it's an easy swap to add an electric jack later.
One of the big advantages of an electric jack would be raising the tongue up and down for the weight distribution hitch. It would take a lot longer with a manual jack.
If you get manual, one would be wise to pay a small charge for them to have the wire there. With a 21 the batteries are at the rear of the trailer. They put the wire in outdoor plastic conduit.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Manual. The jack will stop working only when it’s time to pack up and go home. Last month there was a post, HELP MY POWER AWNING WONT RETRACT.

Keep everything simple, you’ll have less headaches.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Manual. The jack will stop working only when it’s time to pack up and go home. Last month there was a post, HELP MY POWER AWNING WONT RETRACT.

Could be wrong but the motors on the jacks are a different animal they are the same or close to camper jack motors which are made to lift weight . They are very reliable and if your batteries were low you can manually use the jack . So ....... PT
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
After we purchased the trailer I added a power jack when it came on sale.
Here is Canada they come on sale at Princes Auto for a little over $100. I am sure Harbour Freight has similar units.
As a theft deterrent I also installed a second hidden switch in line. This way the jack stays down if someone wants to drive off with it.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Could be wrong but the motors on the jacks are a different animal they are the same or close to camper jack motors which are made to lift weight . They are very reliable and if your batteries were low you can manually use the jack . So ....... Pat
Doug I have a manual awning and would never want a electric awning for many reasons but the jack is not the same . Pat
Old 07-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Katherine ! Mine is a complete tear from the bone . I chose no surgery , didn’t care for the odds . I chose PT and gave me back a lot of use for my arm . But I need and I do exercises I learned in PT everyday for the rest of my life . It is my dominate arm . I just can’t pick up heavy things anymore but other then that still use my arm . And I need to keep the rest of muscles and ligaments working so I don’t have my arm atrophy . The PT really was worth it ! My pain is gone unless I don’t do what I am supposed to do now on my own .
But really love the electric jack and I have to say the kids were right , they have one and keeped saying to get it . We didn’t have one for almost 5 years but it sure was the right time to get one ! Pat
Oh my gosh Pat, I’m so glad to hear the PT worked for you!! I didn’t want surgery either. I’m lucky, mine is my left arm, and I’m right handed. But the pain was unreal, for many weeks. I think the PT is finally starting to work though. Less pain every week.

Hope yours continues to improve!! Enjoy your travels -
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Oh my gosh Pat, I’m so glad to hear the PT worked for you!! I didn’t want surgery either. I’m lucky, mine is my left arm, and I’m right handed. But the pain was unreal, for many weeks. I think the PT is finally starting to work though. Less pain every week.

Hope yours continues to improve!! Enjoy your travels -
One of my son in laws had that surgery twice and he is a lot younger then me . He was going in for a third . Anyway have been doing good a couple years now so I must be doing something right . The pain going away and being able to sleep is doing good . Also got a adjustable bed that helps too. Your pain will go away eventually , keep at it.
Really believe in PT . Pat
Old 07-22-2020, 06:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Great thread! Very helpful information.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
If you get manual, one would be wise to pay a small charge for them to have the wire there. With a 21 the batteries are at the rear of the trailer. They put the wire in outdoor plastic conduit.
Good advice! I'm used to my Scamp and future 19 having the batteries on the tongue. I wonder if you could just tap in to the 7 pin wiring with a fused wire since there should be power even when not hitched up?
Old 07-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #30

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
The junction box is on the right side of the tongue.Will have to pull the propane cover off to see it. Easy to open up and get power there using inline fuse.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
The junction box is on the right side of the tongue.Will have to pull the propane cover off to see it. Easy to open up and get power there using inline fuse.
Removing the inline fuse is also an effective on/off switch for disabling the jack
Old 07-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #32

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
This may have already been noted, but even with the electric jack, there is the option of overriding the electric motor if and when there is no power or it wears out. You just have to have an electric drill with the proper sized socket head to run it up or down. We always have a drill with us because lowering the spare tire in our Sprinter requires the same size socket head.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #33

There is also the option of buying a 'wrench' that allows the jack to be operated manually. We had the unfortunate experience last summer of a malfunction of the power jack - or at least I thought that was the problem. Turned out we had no battery power because the wires connecting to the terminals had broken, so we could not disconnect from the TV. It was a very distressing moment, until I remembered I'd purchased the 'wrench' as a 'just in case' item when we got our trailer in 2015. We were able to disconnect and do a basic set-up, so we could nip into town for some much needed supplies. The next morning we hooked up and went over to the RV repair shop where they replaced the wires in less than half an hour. Having that 'wrench' definitely made the whole experience much less stressful and we were able to relax and enjoy the rest of the week.

2004 Escape 17A "Doodle Bug"; 2010 Highlander
dpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Power jack #1 accesory
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #35

Trailer: 2023 E19
Jack hole diameter

I am planning on buying an electric jack for our 17B that is arriving soon. I am considering the Barker VIP 3500 jack which has a 2 1/4" outer post diameter. Can someone confirm that Escape has a 2 1/4" hole for the jack?

Thanks,
Charles
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post

At my age , my shoulder ( Torn rotator cuff ) , back , elbow or arm is as likely to go on the fritz as as my power antenna or power jack .
I’ve had the manual jack on my boat fail and the manual awning on my Scamp fail
I can see multiple good reasons to choose manual over powered or vice versa but fear of failure isn’t one of them !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Caution

The other week I was in an old, established small trailer seller (Jerry's) in Madison, WI and asked which of the electric jacks are more reliable. The fellow said they ALL develop problems.

If you have a valid physical reason, get one. If not, it sure ain't no big deal cranking for a spell on the handle.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote