Electronically ignorant question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Anybody wired in one the Progressive HW30C themselves after getting their trailer? I'm wondering how hard a job it is and if there is sufficient space under the bed in a 17B?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
On our trip east , at a campground near Kenora Ont. , we were chatting with the owner about how lucky we were with the weather ,when he told us about the terrible thunder and lightening storm they had some weeks back . He said they had power surge that fried everything in a large unit - including - the surge protector . Don 't know how that works ,but left us wondering about their wiring .
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added an HW30 to my 17B. I had plenty of room since I have the detachable power cord option. In fact, enough room so i also added a 1000 watt inverter. Some photos on my trailer modifications page: http://www.lakeshoreimages.com/trailer.html
Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I added an HW30 to my 17B. I had plenty of room since I have the detachable power cord option. In fact, enough room so i also added a 1000 watt inverter. Some photos on my trailer modifications page: http://www.lakeshoreimages.com/trailer.html
Thanks Jon! I don't have the detachable cord, but the HW30 itself isn't too big so it should fit -- I think.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... that electrical surge will fry everything in it's path, not just items plugged in...
Short of a lightning strike, I don't see any risk to wiring or wiring devices (such as outlets and light fixtures). Typical components used for 120V service would have no problem with excessive voltage of a couple hundred volts, and no current flow unless a component arcs, so nothing would be overloaded by current. Lightning is another matter...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a tree fall about 1 mile from my house on some power lines, 20,000 volts went thru my house, lost everything plugged in, on or off plus main breaker. Lightning isn't the only problem.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #27

Quote:
I had a tree fall about 1 mile from my house on some power lines, 20,000 volts went thru my house, lost everything plugged in, on or off plus main breaker. Lightning isn't the only problem.
Good point, but I don't think this is what EMS or surge protectors are for in RVs... we would all need them in our houses if this was a common problem. I have a rural house, with many kilometres of overhead lines leading to us, and in two decades here we've never had this problem. Power outages, yes, but not surges.

The usual RV-specific complaint is about campgrounds with voltage that just runs higher than it is supposed to be.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Were you home?

I saw a case that I believe was the Gulf Shores in Alabama where a big storm came through a campground and everyone lost everything electrical in their units except one guy with an EMS.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #29

Trailer: not yet
Quote:
I had a tree fall on my house, which also took out the power pole and transformer in front of our house. We disconnected everything while they were repairing/replacing the transformer, as did most of our neighbors. All but one. She lost her oven, tv,microwave, and stereo when the transformer was hooked back up.

Living in the Oakland hills, where the Monterey pines fall down often, we've learned about power spikes the hard way. I don't have a trailer yet, but will have it protected by surge protection.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I had a tree fall on my house...
This was my point: as far as these lightning or catastrophic failure events are concerned, the RV is no different from a house. I don't have surge protection on my house (or any RV), but perhaps I would (on both house and RVs) if I lived where Jim or Leonard live.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #31

Actually the reason the tree fell was due to a motor vehicle accident about a mile away, a truck knocked down a tree into a telephone pole, the pole had high voltage lines which then shorted, this can happen anywhere on the grid where there are cars and trucks and telephone poles. One can get a whole house voltage surge protection, relatively inexpensive. I did after that.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
With the amount of money we spend on these trailers and on options we really don't need why would we not spend $250 to protect it from crappy campground power? Are you sure that volunteer maintenance man wired the pedestal properly when he repaired the plug you are hooking up to? Not worth ruining a trip after losing 2 converters and a microwave already.

Last converter was after driving 11.5 hours. Had to drive 40 miles round trip to Walmart to purchase a $40 battery charger just so the trip was not ruined. Not a good way to start a trip.

It protects for all this

High Voltage Protection
Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.
Time Delay for A/C Compressor:
If the AC power is interrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built-in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136 second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.
3-Mode Surge Protection:
This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-G, and N-G. Total Joule rating is 1,790, 44,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.
Surge Indicator:
In the event of a power surge, and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates the EMS needs to be serviced.
Reverse Polarity Protection:
If AC power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E-1.
Open Neutral Protection:
If AC power has an open neutral condition, the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.
Open Ground Protection:
If AC power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E-2 and power will not be allowed to the RV.
AC Frequency Protection:
If AC power frequency deviates +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down power. An error code of E-7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an error code will be displayed when frequency is low.
Accidental 240V Protection:
If 240 volts is detected when plugging into AC power, the EMS will NOT allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and E-3 for the error. (NEVER BYPASS THE EMS WHEN THIS OCCURS.)
Remote Display:
Continuously scrolls all of the AC power information, including voltage, current, frequency, error codes and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for two (2) seconds.
Previous Error Code:
This feature tells the user what the previous error was and why power was interrupted to the RV. To read a previous error code, put a "P" in front of the "E" code. This is only displayed if an actual error occurs. The error is deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.
Bypass:
This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.
Modular Design:
Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
Microprocessor Controlled:
The computer is driven by a state-of-the-art microprocessor that is programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Now retired, I'm on a pension. My priority right now is to replace the tires on Toad and on the RAV.
I have an electrical outlet tester so I can check for reverse polarity and ground, make sure it's wired correctly. That tester cost me about $12 so it is worth it.
I don't often camp with hookups. I don't have air conditioning. Computers etc all plug in to an inverter with surge protection there.
So, my question was, and pretty much has been answered, "what is the risk"?
It appears to me that in my situation, the risk is actually quite low.
I'm not ruling out buying a surge protector, I'm just not rushing out to get one.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am with baglo on this *cringe*.

There is no limit to what we can do and spend money on to better protect us from things that might go wrong.

I really am not sold on the risks. LIke someone else mentioned, I don't have it at home, why on the road? What ratio of RVs out there use them? I am guessing not very many, and other than a few stories here, I have not firsthand seen or heard of someone needing it.

I am not discarding the wishes and desires of others. One needs to decide for themselves what their needs are. I have a neighbour who would not let his daughters ride their bikes on our quiet secluded street, worried for their safety and that they might get hit, yet all the rest of the kids were out there.

But, I too am rarely hooked to the grid, and when I am the only things I run on 120V is the converter, water heater and fridge. The only things I plug in are a small cube heater, and a small electric kettle. Everything else is 12V including chargers for the laptop and phones.

Maybe it is just my minimalist attitude, I really prefer my camping uncomplicated. Though, I do still bring my dear wife along.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
QUOTE: Surge Indicator:
In the event of a power surge, and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates the EMS needs to be serviced. UNQUOTE

So I need a surge protector for my surge protector??
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #36

No, you just call Progressive and they will ship you a new unit, gratis.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Lifetime guarantee.

In your home you pretty much know what you are plugging into and things don't change much unless you have a surge of some kind. On the road you have no idea or know what idiot or low bid contractor has been working on what your plugging into. Campgrounds are notorious for having power problems when overloaded in times like very hot weather which you may not have experienced in the north.

Once you let the smoke out of an electrical device it is very hard to put in back in.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
ummm..... Is it the surge protector ...or the surge protection that is guaranteed ....what if the surge protector didn't protect ?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Help! Lost 120v power to the trailer. Trailer is connected to shore power. EMS is showing E 0, 60H, 120. Trailer was was working OK for 4hrs since we hooked up at the camp site but the fan from the converter continued to run the whole time. I tried to trouble shoot, turned the 30 amp breaker switch to off position but unable to reset. Currently, we are runnining on 12v as we have no 120v power (although connected to shore power and reset the breaker). Our converter is: WFCO Power Converter model WF 8955PEC. Need help to restore 120v power. Thanks
Tonny
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What do you mean you are unable to reset the 30A breaker?