Emergency Window - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Emergency Window

Just received an email from Escape stating that the Screened Opening Emergency Exit Window will not longer be screened or have the ability to be propped open.

Even more upsetting is that for those who have signed off on their build sheet NO CHANGES CAN BE MADE.

That now means when we sit at the rear dinette in our upcoming 21C we will only have ONE opening window. Imagine being the one stuck sitting in the driver's side rear corner on the dinette.

Hey Escape! Please explain to me why having just signed off on my build sheet on a unit that won't be completed for several months why I have to suffer.

NOT A HAPPY!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
They may let you change to frame less windows. For now the Frame less Emergency Exit Window will still be screened and open. That could change down the road. Did you ask if you could make a change. I know I changed a few things after my build sheet singed off Just had to do the documents over. Maybe they don't allow it anymore.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
They may let you change to frame less windows. For now the Frame less Emergency Exit Window will still be screened and open. That could change down the road. Did you ask if you could make a change. I know I changed a few things after my build sheet singed off Just had to do the documents over. Maybe they don't allow it anymore.
Their email said no changes. To change to Frameless Windows the additional cost is $805 USD. I would do that rather than suffer with not breeze sitting at the rear driver's side corner of the dinette. We'll see if they want more money or really don't care about the people who want to buy their campers.

Not at all happy at the moment. Especially since I just signed off on my build sheet on 6/15 and the completion date is not until October 22nd.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Not at all happy at the moment.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Just received an email from Escape stating that the Screened Opening Emergency Exit Window will not longer be screened or have the ability to be propped open.

Even more upsetting is that for those who have signed off on their build sheet NO CHANGES CAN BE MADE.

That now means when we sit at the rear dinette in our upcoming 21C we will only have ONE opening window. Imagine being the one stuck sitting in the driver's side rear corner on the dinette.

Hey Escape! Please explain to me why having just signed off on my build sheet on a unit that won't be completed for several months why I have to suffer.

NOT A HAPPY!
Escape addressed that in their Q & A today. I believe they said the manufacturer isn't making them anymore so they had to switch to a different one. There are a lot of items that are changing because of manufacture delays and changes, one of them being the fridge as the 3 way one is changing to a 2 way propane/AC one, no more DC for the absorption fridges once stock is used up.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
Escape addressed that in their Q & A today. I believe they said the manufacturer isn't making them anymore so they had to switch to a different one. There are a lot of items that are changing because of manufacture delays and changes, one of them being the fridge as the 3 way one is changing to a 2 way propane/AC one, no more DC for the absorption fridges once stock is used up.
Karl quickly mentions something about regulations and why the manufacturer has changed the window to no bug screen and not being able to keep the window in an open position. Also mentioned frameless is most likely going to follow. I quest I confused on how this window was ok for so many years and now it's not.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I confused on how this window was ok for so many years and now it's not.
You know that the Supreme Court just change several laws that have been in force for decades, don't you?
Old 06-30-2022, 11:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You know that the Supreme Court just change several laws that have been in force for decades, don't you?
O my gosh!!! The Supreme Court made this window over ruling... thanks Glenn I'm not sure what this form would do without your knowledge of current events thanks
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:44 PM   #9

Regulations and laws change. You asked.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well, that's annoying after you've just finished wading through all the decisions that you had to make before signing off.

I think that there's some work arounds though that will let you keep the window open and maybe have better ventilation then the current setup.

I think the screen issue can be dealt with by using a screen mesh held on by velcro.

As far as propping open the window goes I had to make a custom piece so that I could hold the window open much more so that I could install an A/C in the window opening. Quite easy to make a custom piece to hold the window open and maybe even more than it opens now. More open, more ventilation.

It'll be interesting to see what these new windows look like but I'm sure there's a solution for this situation.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 E19
I received the same email, even though our trailer was completed June 23rd, but based on final photos it looks like we have the "old style" exit window.
We also opted for the opening rear window as it was important for us to have all 3 of those windows open.
That said, as stated previously, I am confident there will be a work-around for the new style Exit window. All it needs is a screen and a method of propping it open.
Attached Thumbnails
June 22-10.jpg  
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Boy am I glad/fortunate to have already picked up our new 2022 E19 without these window issues popping up. Our only concern was making the trip out and back safely. I feel the angst some are feeling who have not yet taken possession of their new Escape, but believe me, once you have, you will forget these feelings as you sit around the fire enjoying your new Escape!!
Old 07-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #13

Does anyone know the Model and Part Number of the Screened Exit Window?

I believe it is this one.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-exit-windo...SABEgKeH_D_BwE

If so, I will order it today and install it myself once I receive the trailer in October. They are In Stock
Old 07-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I received the same email, even though our trailer was completed June 23rd, but based on final photos it looks like we have the "old style" exit window.
We also opted for the opening rear window as it was important for us to have all 3 of those windows open.
That said, as stated previously, I am confident there will be a work-around for the new style Exit window. All it needs is a screen and a method of propping it open.
For $42,000 USD I'm not a fan having to cobble something together to make it functional. Hopefully the RecPro piece I mentioned is the same as your photo.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 21
Major bummer. Just measured this window on our 21 and the measurements were 20 1/2 x 31

It looks like they have one that will fit but they are out of stock hopefully they will get more in
Old 07-01-2022, 08:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
bummer

Whatever the reason(s) that's a very unfortunate development, I wish you the best with finding an alternative solution. I certainly understand why the timing of the disclosure / implementation adds to the frustration on the OP's part.

That big-opening prop-out Exit window is invaluable for me, it's the first thing I open upon entering a closed-up trailer and then working my way around to open all the others.

The evolving 'new ETI normal' is indeed quite different from what I was able to get in a number of details, some which would be significant for me if considering a purchase today. I'd likely still end up with my 5.0 (IF I could swing the price increases) but can't help but think it'd be a bit less exciting prospect with a bit less enthusiasm on my part.

Sometimes changes for whatever reason are for the better, sometimes not so much. So it goes.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Having had the sliders on my 19 and now the awning on our 5.0TA I can honestly say that in 13 years of Escape ownership we have very rarely opened that emergency window, even when travelling south and we are not fans of hot air in the trailer (well, except for my blathering ). We find that there is plenty of airflow without it, and would gladly give up it operating with that bothersome latch/holder thing, even with the awning style windows.

We all have differing needs, and change is often hard to take. Besides, there is nothing Escape can do about the manufacturer discontinuing it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Major bummer. Just measured this window on our 21 and the measurements were 20 1/2 x 31

It looks like they have one that will fit but they are out of stock hopefully they will get more in
RecPro does make a 30" x 22". It's In Stock as well
https://www.recpro.com/rv-exit-windo...optional-trim/

I've been in the manufacturing business for 40 years so when Escape says NO CHANGES on a completion date of Oct 22, 2022 I call BS.

Now if it was an August date then that could be understandable.

Why not just let me change all my windows to the awning style and increase their sales by over $800?
Old 07-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 21
That would require thought n common sense Willy
Old 07-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
That would require thought n common sense Willy
In today's manufacturing profiteering world that's not so "Common".