Enlighten me on what you use 12V outlets for... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
That is a very good question. After 5 years, I am still wondering myself. The only thing I have ever used it for was to plug in one of the USB adapters to charge a phone.
I agree..we keep a couple of those "12V " cig lighter" adapters w USB output in the junk box..maybe some dude sometime will need to borrow one to charge his phone?? who knows?? LOL
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
I see that we can add 12V outlets both inside and outside. What uses have you found for them? With shore power, 120V outlets would work for most everything we have. With an inverter, the 120V outlets would still work, right? We mostly use USBs actually other than the Keurig (which can easily be skipped for a travel filter setup). Other than air mattresses and air compressors, what do you use them for in and out of the camper? I'm also curious what you use USB outlets for outside of the camper other than charging phones, computers, cameras?

Thanks for all your insights!
Jackie
I’m getting as much of my electronics as
Possible to run on 12v to make the most of my batteries while Boondocking with solar. So I have my Netgear cellular modem powered by 12v. The Cell booster I’m setting up seems to have a defective 12v hardwire adapter, so I’m throwing together an accessory adapter on my own.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #23
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
All the flashlights and powered accessories I've bought recently have been USB/12V rechargeable. Simplifies the process and other than pesky cords, no need for a stash of batteries in a drawer. Or worse, several types of batteries stored in a drawer.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
All the flashlights and powered accessories I've bought recently have been USB/12V rechargeable. Simplifies the process and other than pesky cords, no need for a stash of batteries in a drawer. Or worse, several types of batteries stored in a drawer.
Unfortunately, several accessories used when camping are not rechargeable and run on batteries, such as weather monitors, Smoke/CO alarms, TPMS sensors, etc. My point is that while battery storage (many types) may be a PITA, it simply can’t be avoided and still maintain convenience.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Unfortunately, several accessories used when camping are not rechargeable and run on batteries, such as weather monitors, Smoke/CO alarms, TPMS sensors, etc. My point is that while battery storage (many types) may be a PITA, it simply can’t be avoided and still maintain convenience.

Agreed! I am all over the map on this one.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I ordered all the 12v outlets when I got mine (6, I think) and still haven't used one. I'll think of something tho.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have 4 12V receptacles in my Escape 21, one that includes 2 USB receptacles. I use all of them - one is full time for my XM Radio, the other 3 are used to power my laptop, depending on where I'm using it. I have used one of them to power an air compressor with no problems, however it is one I installed myself & ran directly to the converter - I don't have an outside 12V receptacle.

I also added a panel with 6 of the 1 1/8" module devices that include a 12V, different styles of USB, a switch & volt meter inside my electronics cabinet. My cell modems, amplifier, etc are plugged into them with short cords, keeping the cabinet somewhat neat, and eliminating the need to replug things.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
We travel with 6 Apple devices and a BT speaker that all need to be charged. We did not get extra USB devices installed but wish we had. So we have two USB and lighter adapter socket by the entrance ... the socket accepts my adapter for laptop charging; the one in the solar controller; and two in our overhead reading lights near the bed ... I switched them out for ones that have USB plugs in them. We do not have one outside and and don’t see a need. My advice is to get as many as you can if you’re an electronic junkie with lots of devices. We will be adding a couple more sockets in rear table area.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Just an observation; I am amazed with the number and type of electronic equipment people find are necessary to go camping . My biggest concern when we go traveling / camping is what’s on the meal menu and did I bring enough cash .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Just an observation; I am amazed with the number and type of electronic equipment people find are necessary to go camping . My biggest concern when we go traveling / camping is what’s on the meal menu and did I bring enough cash .
Steve, I can fully appreciate your amazement. However, for every 100 days I use my trailer, I would guess that very few are “camping.” I don’t like hotels/motels but I like to tour places I haven’t been and see the local attractions. For me, the trailer is a rolling bedroom and dining room. After seeing all the sights in one location, I move my living accommodations to the next location. When I go to rallies (very few), it is because I want to socialize with people I have met in the past that have become friends. So yes, I want the electronics I have at home and my wife wants to watch TV when we settle in for the evening. I think that is the reason why a lot of people have purchased trailers. If I wanted to “camp,” I would pack in a tent to some remote lake and truly camp. IMHO, you ain’t camping if you are in a campground; you are more of a camper if you are boondocking, but not with solar power and cell phones. When was the last time you had to use a Coleman lantern? That was real camping. But perhaps I rely on my childhood memories to define “camping.” I personally don’t want to go back to that or to my pup tent army days. So I am guilty; I like having my cell phone, computer, coffee maker, and other electric or electronic conveniences in my trailer but I am not going to claim I am camping.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Steve, I can fully appreciate your amazement. However, for every 100 days I use my trailer, I would guess that very few are “camping.” I don’t like hotels/motels but I like to tour places I haven’t been and see the local attractions. For me, the trailer is a rolling bedroom and dining room. After seeing all the sights in one location, I move my living accommodations to the next location. When I go to rallies (very few), it is because I want to socialize with people I have met in the past that have become friends. So yes, I want the electronics I have at home and my wife wants to watch TV when we settle in for the evening. I think that is the reason why a lot of people have purchased trailers. If I wanted to “camp,” I would pack in a tent to some remote lake and truly camp. IMHO, you ain’t camping if you are in a campground; you are more of a camper if you are boondocking, but not with solar power and cell phones. When was the last time you had to use a Coleman lantern? That was real camping. But perhaps I rely on my childhood memories to define “camping.” I personally don’t want to go back to that or to my pup tent army days. So I am guilty; I like having my cell phone, computer, coffee maker, and other electric or electronic conveniences in my trailer but I am not going to claim I am camping.
I guess we are the odd ducks . When traveling we only carry my wife’s cell phone and a small tv for playing / watching DVDs .
I agree traveling in an Escape is not camping . Camping for me is sleeping in a tent on the ground , cooking on an open fire , cleaning up in a stream or lake , eating unhealthy food with no connection to the civilized world .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I guess we are the odd ducks . When traveling we only carry my wife’s cell phone and a small tv for playing / watching DVDs .
I agree traveling in an Escape is not camping . Camping for me is sleeping in a tent on the ground , cooking on an open fire , cleaning up in a stream or lake , eating unhealthy food with no connection to the civilized world .
Not sure that makes you “odd” at all; it is just your style or maybe I should say your travel preference. When I was younger, I loved camping just as you have describe it. Now, at a more advanced age, that type of camping is no longer fun and creature comforts have become more important. That’s not to say if you called me up and said “I know this great place on a backwoods lake where we can fish, drink beer, see the stars, etc. but we will have to rough it in a tent” I might agree. Under certain conditions, if the perceived reward sounds worthwhile, I, like many others, would forego the comfort of a trailer for a more primitive yet rewarding adventure.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:07 PM   #33

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
I'm a big fan of Ryobi tools and the one+ system as well... 2 fans, drill driver, tire infiltrator, project light and mini leaf blower travel with use. Leave with charged tool batteries and I don't have to use my trailer batteries when dry camping for these items. So handy, all cordless and there's always good deals on these tools and batteries during holiday sales.

Using the mini-leaf blower on the awning prior to closing is a joy. Use it to blow off the picnic table also... 160mph claimed air speed.
I have basically the same plan only with Ridgid. Ridgid is probably made in the same Chinese factory as Ryobi but come with a lifetime warranty including the batteries. You just have to register them online. I probably use cordless 18V leaf blowers more than any other tool. Very efficient at cleaning.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I use a 12 volt cord on my cpap machine, else my wife won't go camping/trailering with me.
And just like everyone else, to recharge a mp3, electric shaver, small vacuum and cellphone.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have no desire to be constantly 'connected'. My cell is not a smart phone. I have a prepaid min deal with AT&T and it costs me $25.00 every 3 months and I don't use those min. Only family has my cell #.

I do take my laptop with me most of the time when I go fishing but rarely stay where I can use it. I like COE lakes. TX, OK and AR have quite a few of them.

The cell does make me feel a lot better traveling in case of trouble on the road. Good Sam is only a call away and I've used them more than once. Those pesky TPMS and no metal stems.

I like Good Sam Roadside Assistance!
Old 08-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
We rely on AAA services. We have been a member for 35 years. Use it once in a blue moon.

I hate to admit this and I am not sure why. I miss it terribly when I am not connected to the world. And it's not because I am a webmaster, cause I never go visit sites I built when surfing. I read between 25 and 50 articles each day. I try to keep up to date on politics and what Congress has on it's plate for the day. I love to watch the interplay between national figures as the political strategies play out. I live in one of the most educated communities in the world so I have lots of friends that study this too.

It's probably not popular, but I miss being connected when I am away. I don't need to be away from it all, I can turn it off and go play outside when the time comes. but I need to know.

Kinda like a moth to a flame.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #37

Trailer: 2012 E19
I see a fair number of GS forum members who've switched to coach net; they feel the level of service is better. FWIW.

My camping style is closer to Steve's. No tv, very little internet usage (I do read my emails), maybe a little bit of radio. But mostly I am enjoying the fresh air, the outdoors, the scenery. When I get tired of walking or bicycling around, I pick up a book and read.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
I have basically the same plan only with Ridgid. Ridgid is probably made in the same Chinese factory as Ryobi...
Ridgid is the company that Emerson Electric bought to sell electric power tools when they lost the contract to make Craftsman tools for Sears (losing to Asian manufacturers), but since then apparently the power tools have shifted to being built by Techtronic (TTI), which is based in Hong Kong. Yes, TTI also makes Ryobi (and Milwaukee).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
160mph claimed air speed.
I hope that's not just hot air!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:12 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Well since I replaced all of the electrical AC outlets to have dual USB ports the only thing that lives in the DC port at this time is a 12 VDC meter :P

-Dave
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote