Enlighten me on what you use 12V outlets for... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Some who haven’t camped much equate 12v to boondocking. While we have never boondocked, we dry camp a lot. I’d estimate it at 90% or more. Many of my favorite state and national parks do not have hookups. At that point, everything is 12v or propane. Using 120v appliances with an inverted just adds a layer of efficiency loss.

I’m at Mt Pisgah CG on the Blue Ridge Parkway right now. No hookups, using my suitcase solar to keep the battery topped off. Portable fan and USB chargers are my two most common uses.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #62

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
Some who haven’t camped much equate 12v to boondocking. While we have never boondocked, we dry camp a lot. I’d estimate it at 90% or more. Many of my favorite state and national parks do not have hookups. At that point, everything is 12v or propane. Using 120v appliances with an inverted just adds a layer of efficiency loss.

I’m at Mt Pisgah CG on the Blue Ridge Parkway right now. No hookups, using my suitcase solar to keep the battery topped off. Portable fan and USB chargers are my two most common uses.

Well, there are times when you might want to run a microwave or other 120v appliances. And that can be nice. I use the microwave anytime I want, other than nighttime. Same with everything else. The solar panels recharge the batteries very quickly, but not at night. So we do watch our 120v usage at night but as soon as the Sun comes out, do whatever you want. Charge whatever you want.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 15A
When 120V is not available, I use 12V to run my CPAP, as well as recharging various electronic devices.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote