Equalizer hitch changes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Equalizer hitch changes

Received an email from Escape asking which of three choices of Equalizer hitches we wanted to order for our 19' trailer. Our choices are:
•Pro Series 600 Trunnion ($350)
•Pro Series 600 Trunnion with Sway Bar ($400)
•E2 by Fastway, integrated sway control and weight distribution ($625)

Opinions, thoughts, please

Bobo

Bob and Marilyn
Bend, Or
19' (as of Jan 2016)
Toyota Sequoia 2008
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'm probably sounding like a broken record by this time, but none of these are Equal-i-zer hitches; it would be nice if Escape properly labelled them as "weight distributing hitches".

The Fastway E2 does use a similar style of bar-to-frame brackets to that used by Equal-i-zer, unlike the Pro Series. Those brackets add friction for sway control... and likely noise, and wear, and a different process for snapping the bars in place. The head end of the E2 is available as a round-bar or trunnion design (just like the Pro Series) - I don't see an indication of which one Escape is offering.

The brackets of the E2 don't look like $275 to me, but if you like the way the E2 works then I suppose it's not a huge difference compared to the total trailer and equipment cost.

Both hitch manufacturers offer their manuals on their websites if you want to look at the details of operation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm sure there'll be lots of opinions. I have the Pro Series 600 and tow the 19 with a Ford Ranger. I don't know how much credit to give the WDH. The "feel" of my towing set-up is excellent. Hard to put into words but the truck and trailer sort of feel as one integrated entity. I've had some set-ups in the past where the trailer seemed like it wanted to do it's own thing. Anyway this set-up makes for pretty relaxed towing. Can't say anything bad about it, but, as I said, I don't know how much credit to give the WDH as part of towing package that feels just right, but I'm sure it must be part of it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I tow my 19 with a big Chevy pickup (5.3L engine) and no WDH. Didn't think I needed one. Towing has been a dream. After 16K miles of towing that opinion remains confirmed.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Bob - I would second what Bob has said above, (for us with our Tacoma and 17B)

I went with the WDH based upon Toyota's recommendation in my Tacoma's manual. Does Toyota make that same recommendation for your Sequoia? Tacoma rear springs in model years similar to mine are notorious weak, and the WDH really helped with preventing rear end sag with the trailer attached. There are other options available to help with the rear end sag, but since Toyota recommended the WDH I went with it.

I have tried short tows without the WDH as an experiment and the whole towing experience with my particular setup is much better with than without the WDH.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've towed a short distance without the WDH and long distance with it. Been passed by semis, driven in cross winds and had to make a couple radical lane changes. The Pro Series makes tow and trailer feel like a single unit.
I'd never leave home without it.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Glad to hear the reports about the pro 600. That's the one we're going with.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A year ago the Andersen seemed to be in very high esteem here and we bought one based on that.What caused ETI to drop it and has anyone received a refund? Our chain guides are decorming and can see them wearing througb at some point. We have towed approximately 20K miles in the year since we picked up.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BTW. I do not have the sway bar option.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
BTW. I do not have the sway bar option.
Ditto - and as Glenn said above our trailer/tow combination with the WDH seems to move as one unit.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We put air bags on our 2002 Tacoma to negate the rear end "softness" and found that it makes towing our 19 Escape pretty darn smooth. WDH seemed like overkill and just more to deal with when hooking and unhooking the trailer.
3 years later and still towing well.

Kelly
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
A year ago the Andersen seemed to be in very high esteem here and we bought one based on that.What caused ETI to drop it and has anyone received a refund? Our chain guides are decorming and can see them wearing througb at some point. We have towed approximately 20K miles in the year since we picked up.

I've no idea why Escape no longer installs the Andersen, but I've heard nothing but stellar reports on their customer service. If the chain guides are wearing, I'd contact them for a replacement.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had not issues at all with the Andersen, and for the only WDH I ever used, I found it quite user friendly. I just checked those chain guides, and see no wear at all. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot? Do you have any photos of the wear area, Rossue?

Actually, I did have one issue, the supplied socket was not milled properly. I sent them an email with a photo of it, and got a replacement in the mail is just a few days.

The lining material on mine is starting to rise out of the cone, and the ball sinking a wee bit. I will get them to send me a replacement before I sell it, or more likely give it to my brother to use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When we were completing our build sheet we had the Anderson selected and were informed that they had seen too many claims and issues with it recently and didn't feel it met their standards to offer it any longer. It was suggested I switch to the pro 600 or bring my own and pay installation. They did mention there would probably be another brand offered soon to replace the Anderson, but didn't know if it would be in time for our trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had not issues at all with the Andersen, and for the only WDH I ever used, I found it quite user friendly. I just checked those chain guides, and see no wear at all. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot? Do you have any photos of the wear area, Rossue?

Actually, I did have one issue, the supplied socket was not milled properly. I sent them an email with a photo of it, and got a replacement in the mail is just a few days.

The lining material on mine is starting to rise out of the cone, and the ball sinking a wee bit. I will get them to send me a replacement before I sell it, or more likely give it to my brother to use.
Here is a photo....while I like the design and ease of use it seems as though one may be going to have to deal with warranty issues. Never had a problem with the previous Pro Series with our 17. The top is where it is eating into the metal on both chain stays or whatever they're called.
Attached Thumbnails
1442514375704.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That definitely shows more wear than mine does (mine actually shows none), but you have more miles on your trailer using it, as a lot of the time I used my F-350 without the Anderson Hitch. I would sent this photo off the Anderson, it would be interesting to hear what they would have to say.

And, it is great that they cover warranty items good, but it sure can be a pain to have to do it very often.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Here is a photo....while I like the design and ease of use it seems as though one may be going to have to deal with warranty issues. Never had a problem with the previous Pro Series with our 17. The photo got turned...the top is really the right side, which is where it is eating into the metal on both chain stays or whatever they're called.
Having had my share of problems with the Andersen hitch, I did some research into them and one of the things I learned was that the chain and the bracket (on the trailer) that holds the chain must be in perfect alignment or you get wear. Even thought I had ETI install the hitch it was not done properly and as a result there was lots of wear on both the chains and the brackets in a very short time. If anyone has a noisy Andersen hitch you might want to check the alignment because that is what caused so much noise on my setup
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I too have had my share of problems with the Anderson Hitch and not so good service - delays in shipping, shipped the wrong part, poor communications. Our's is wearing at the chain and bracket and was installed by ETI. Not much room available to move it to improve alignment. We have about 15,000 kms on it.

Sunrisetrucker did you move the brackets forward or back to improve alignment?
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I too have had my share of problems with the Anderson Hitch and not so good service - delays in shipping, shipped the wrong part, poor communications. Our's is wearing at the chain and bracketn and was installed by ETI. Not much room available to move it to improve alignment. We have about 15,000 kms on it.

Sunrisetrucker did you move the brackets forward or back to improve alignment?
I got a refund and with the money bought a Husky brand WDH, and it works just fine. Andersen didn't want their hitch back so if someone is looking for a Andersen hitch I'll sell it to you. Cheap!!
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
Just found this email from Escape. I had the Andersen in my built sheet for next year:

Hello Jeff

September 16, 2015

You are receiving this email because you have expressed interest in having an Andersen Hitch installed on your Escape Travel Trailer once it is completed. Escape Trailer Industries is always working to improve their product and offer options which meets both the customers’ needs and enhances their use of the Escape Trailer.

After using the Anderson Hitch for the past two years Escape Trailer Industries has decided to remove the Andersen Hitch from their Options List. For those customers with a 2015 completion date the Anderson Hitch will still be shown on your build sheet. For those customers with a 2016 completion date the Anderson Hitch has been removed from your build sheet.

Escape Trailer Industries has always strived to offer their customers quality options. We believe we have come up with three (3) options, which will offer weight distribution and/or sway control, for your selection, based on tow vehicles capacity and trailer size.

· Equalizer Hitch (Pro Series 600lb Trunnion) $350.00

· Equalizer Hitch (Pro Series 600lb Trunnion) with Sway Control Bar (Pro Series) $400.00

· E2 by FastWay Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch $625.00

Please find attached, a copy of your build sheet which has been updated to show the two (2) new options for Weight Distribution Hitches.

If applicable please let us know prior to your Confirmation Date which Hitch you would like us to install in your trailer once it has been completed.

For those customers who would still prefer to have an Anderson Hitch installed on their trailer we will be more than happy to supply and install one at your request.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Barb Wallace-Jesson, Customer Service

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650 Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650
Fax: 604 703 1651

info@escapetrailer.com
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote