Escape 19’ motorcycle mod question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2006
Escape 19’ motorcycle mod question

Has anyone ever removed the storage box and relocated propane tanks to put a tray for a motorcycle? I know this adds weight to tongue. My bike is 300 lbs and want to take it on road. Currently I load it into bed of truck. I have friends that did this will smaller set ups. Just wondering if anyone had done it here or even seen another post about this?

Thanks
Bodhi290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have seen some moped bikes on the rear, but never on the front...
Old 02-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have seen some moped bikes on the rear, but never on the front...
I carry my Moped on the back of my 19' but it weighs less that 1/2 your motorcycle.
Sorry that I am no help.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
That is quite a bit of weight to deal with on the front or rear of trailer. Since it sounds like you have a pickup have you thought about a rack in a front receiver? It seems quite a few guys do this. Might need suspension enhancement kit to help with droop. Timbren makes them.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I think you could do it. plus, you have no problem selling that storage box. do you plan to move battery under dinette? the 19 tend to be light in the Tongue weight to start with. I get a scale add 300lbs of weight up there and see where you are on Tongue.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 05:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Is there sufficient room for the outriggers that secure the motorcycle from flopping front-rear on the trailer and poking holes in the trailer body?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You say "relocate propane tanks". Do you mean further forward but still on the tongue?

The rack to hold the bike would add a bit more weight. There's a good chance that you could end up with a very high tongue weight.

I don't have that to consider. My bike weighs 950 lbs.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You say "relocate propane tanks". Do you mean further forward but still on the tongue?

The rack to hold the bike would add a bit more weight. There's a good chance that you could end up with a very high tongue weight.

I don't have that to consider. My bike weighs 950 lbs.

yeah, my BMW R1100RS was ~650 lbs with the hard luggage removed and a full tank of fuel, I'd never dream of trying to put it on any sort of rack, other than a dedicated motorcycle trailer, or the back of a full sized pickup truck.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi290 View Post
Has anyone ever removed the storage box and relocated propane tanks to put a tray for a motorcycle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm curious about the relocation plan, too. Further forward on the tongue would restrict turning angle due to interference, and there's no obvious alternative location on the trailer... although there are possibilities involving substantial effort or other consequences.

Extending the tongue could address some of the concerns, although that approach has its own issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:25 PM   #10

Talking Location

I have not decided yet on location. I might leave hook up on the front and just put propane in truck bed. Honestly all our trips are short. So carrying a smaller or one tank is ok with me. In regards to tongue weight I plan on going to a class 4 hitch on my F150 (2016). The motorcycle tray will basically similar to a hitch motorcycle carrier without the hitch part. So a tray welded to frame with strap mounts. I will keep the forum up to date on my crazy plans. Life’s an adventurer.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #11

Also the box I would take off. Keep it and possible use it when bike is not installed if I can configure something with the tray installed.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:53 PM   #12

Is there a way to get the bike between the truck and trailer. basically, a hitch extension with a bike ramp. This way you're not changing Toung weight of trailer and don't have to move box or propane. as long as the truck has the cargo capacity. something like this
https://www.allterrainmedical.com/ve...YaAnaGEALw_wcB of course it have to be heavy duty. but maybe could have something built along that lines.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:03 PM   #13

Tongue

That would still add weight to tongue and moving the trailer hitch away from truck further increases tongue weight even more than if it was on the location or box/propane tanks (maybe I’m wrong).
Old 02-23-2023, 10:14 PM   #14

Quote:
That would still add weight to tongue and moving the trailer hitch away from truck further increases tongue weight even more than if it was on the location or box/propane tanks (maybe I’m wrong).
It would add weight to the receiver. The tongue weight of the trailer would not change.It may increase the affect on the truck due to the extension. If the goal is to keep the tongue weight trailer within the specs 10-12%. picture it like this instead of you hitch weight 75lbs it weighs 375lbs. no effect on tongue but will affect cargo capacity.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Is there a way to get the bike between the truck and trailer. basically, a hitch extension with a bike ramp. This way you're not changing Toung weight of trailer and don't have to move box or propane. as long as the truck has the cargo capacity. something like this
https://www.allterrainmedical.com/ve...YaAnaGEALw_wcB of course it have to be heavy duty. but maybe could have something built along that lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
It would add weight to the receiver. The tongue weight of the trailer would not change.It may increase the affect on the truck due to the extension. If the goal is to keep the tongue weight trailer within the specs 10-12%. picture it like this instead of you hitch weight 75lbs it weighs 375lbs. no effect on tongue but will affect cargo capacity.
The entire weight of the motorcycle and rack would be added to the hitch load, that weight would be too far back, and the trailer's tongue weight being located much further back would greatly increase the load transfer from the truck's front axle to its rear axle. This might all be okay on an F-350 (or preferably an F-550 chassis-cab), but is unreasonable for any F-150... regardless of the hitch receiver used.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Has anyone ever removed the storage box and relocated propane tanks to put a tray for a motorcycle? I know this adds weight to tongue. My bike is 300 lbs and want to take it on road. Currently I load it into bed of truck.
It seems to me that the bike is already being carried in the ideal location. It's probably inconvenient to load and unload, which I'm guessing is the reason for considering another setup, so perhaps an alternative would be a better loading system for the truck rather than a customization of the trailer.