Escape 19' vs 21' Decisions - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
CPAHARLEY, Who could that be? Plus I understand its a problem with the propane, when they run out decided easier to get a new trailer.

Safe and fun travels to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I will start with a small unmentioned point. When someone is preparing a meal in the kitchen of a 19, people can come and go to the seating area without have to walk buy them.

We wanted the big bed and the seating at the front because most of the camp sites we use are just solid trees behind us with nothing to see. Love the width of the 19 for towing in big cities and no way my wife was having people walk into a 21 looking at the bedroom.
Oh, too priceless for words.

I was going to reply, yah but a 21 owner will say that it's so spacious there's no problem getting past another person. Then I read the next post. Those 21 owners are so predictable.

Yes, we'd never have anything except the 19 layout. I can come and go, lounge in the dinette hop up and exit without in any way getting in my wife's way.

My wife also had the same reaction to the bed location.

Of course those 21 owners will say that it's much easier to schotch down the bed to get out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Deciding between a 19' or 21' or even maybe a 17' or 5.0TA is easier if you've already owned a trailer... any trailer. Because you already know the things you want and the items that drive you nutz.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh, too priceless for words.

I was going to reply, yah but a 21 owner will say that it's so spacious there's no problem getting past another person. Then I read the next post. Those 21 owners are so predictable.

Yes, we'd never have anything except the 19 layout. I can come and go, lounge in the dinette hop up and exit without in any way getting in my wife's way.

My wife also had the same reaction to the bed location.

Of course those 21 owners will say that it's much easier to schotch down the bed to get out.

Ron
Surely one of the big downsides to the Escape21 is the nonstandard double bed (am I wrong?). We loved being able to buy a standard queen latex mattress and just put it in our new trailer. We had a trailer with a short queen and I had to get a mattress cut. So, once again, personal choice.... But now I am kind of getting into this friendly argument.... It is true while I am cooking in the Escape 19 - I have the frig. and pantry behind me and my husband can go in and out of the trailer without getting in my way. But, sure, the aisle is narrow so one has to learn the "trailer space" dance.... I am slightly claustrophobic so I had to say - nothing hanging in the halls please -- we just figured out a place for everything and it sure has a lot of storage.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #65

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Deciding between a 19' or 21' or even maybe a 17' or 5.0TA is easier if you've already owned a trailer... any trailer. Because you already know the things you want and the items that drive you nutz.

Despite owning 12 previous trailers, after nearly four weeks in our new 5.0 we would have made a couple of minor changes: a 12v/usb plug-in on the upper portion of the frig/dinette wall and run a tv cable there. That's all so far.

Last night we sat, cooked, and ate outside the 5.0 in the rain under our Carefree awning, glad we hadn't chosen the electric awning and would have had to sit inside. If you camp where it rains, and enjoy sitting under the awning in the rain, the older Carefree awning should be a consideration.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Surely one of the big downsides to the Escape21 is the nonstandard double bed (am I wrong?). We loved being able to buy a standard queen latex mattress and just put it in our new trailer. We had a trailer with a short queen and I had to get a mattress cut.
You're right, the main bed in 21' is not a common standard size - it is the width of a double or full, but the length of a queen. That's sort of the opposite of a "short" or "RV" queen, which has the width of a queen and the length of a full/double.

It would be possible to use a standard full/double in the 21' and just put some sort of filler at the end (to make up the 6-inch length difference), but there's still the cut corner to consider.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
Surely one of the big downsides to the Escape21 is the nonstandard double bed (am I wrong?). We loved being able to buy a standard queen latex mattress and just put it in our new trailer. We had a trailer with a short queen and I had to get a mattress cut. So, once again, personal choice....
a local custom mattress company can make a latex mattress in whatever non standard size you need mysql for really not much more than a brand name off the shelf mattress. like, here we have these guys, Bay Bed & Mattress - Locally Made Mattresses At Exceptional Prices!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #68

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do queen sheets fit the 19's bed correctly?
Old 11-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #69

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We did not mind the arrangement of the bed and stove on our Casita SD17. The Escape 19 gave us 8 inches more counterspace between the sink and cooktop, that was my big upgrade. Gary liked that he did not hit his head when exiting the trailer, that was his big upgrade. We are not the neatest campers and do not make up our bed everyday. Entering the 21 and first sight is of a bed put us off. We like the bigger queen bed and after 17 years with a Pullman queen berth (climb over) on our sailboat the climb over bed is fine. Steps to the bathroom? Are you kidding, this is a comparison of 1 or 2 steps? We like the narrower trailer width as our SUV can see behind OK, wider and we'd need a wider truck or extended mirrors. We like the rear bed as frequently that is next to a brook, pond, or other quiet space. We like windows all around in the front instead of that Casita closed in feel. Like others, if Escape made the 21 with a rear queen and forward dinette we would have to rethink our choice. For us the 19 is a major upgrade in space, layout, storage, and conveniences over our Casita 17.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #70

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do queen sheets fit the 19's bed correctly?
Yes, if you are a contortionist.....
Old 11-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I have ordered one set of full size long sheets for the 21, with the deep pockets supplied with most of today's sheets, I have had no problem with standard full sized sheets on the bed, at least with the three sets I have tried.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape 21
Two foot-itis (17>19>21) seems to be a common scenario on this forum, and I’m hoping to avoid that if I change from my beloved Casita. I’m happy, and always will be, that we experienced the Casita life.

MDW has Nervous Leg Syndrome, and it’s severe enough that she continually wears out the foot area of her bedsheets in a couple or three weeks. Due to her NLS and insomnia, it remains to be a very uncomfortable situation for her and me too. Really. That precludes me from easily sleeping in the Casita bed. I also feel a bit claustrophobic even laying by the back window-side of that bed. Not to mention, crawling over-itus.

Since I want to sleep, and can’t with her NLS, I made a bed of my own by converting the Casita’s small dinette into a bed. But sleeping in the 24” wide dinette bed is misery; ouch! Although it is slightly more comfortable after adding some plywood making it 30” wide, the aisle is now Uber-narrow.

Fast forward to when we were camping in our Casita, at a fiberglass rally in March of 2018. As typical, the rally had an open time, when we could tour all the other fiberglass campers.

Then, my wife saw it!

It was sitting amongst all the other egg campers, and it was cause for peaking our curiosity. She was in awe, even, as we wondered what in the world we were looking at. My wife ran, and I couldn’t hold her back. In a minute or two, we were having our first tour of an Escape 21’. I resisted with all my might, but my wife fell in love at first sight. Not me; my resistance was iron clad. Besides, too high buck. $$$. But it made me curious enough to do some more research.

Later on, we had 2 more tours. That did it. My resistance was finally broken, and the Escape bug bit me.

Since then, we have thoroughly read and studied several of the Escape Trailer owner’s build sheets and have had mega discussions over the great features and options. I’ve also practically worn out the search feature of this and other forums

Now, we are entering the fun part of choosing and picking out our own options; it’s really fun. We are also wanting our adventure to be right this time, and not wish we had done things differently later.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #73

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
You will not regret this decision, many Escape owners were former Casita owners we were. We love our 21' Escape and all the added room it gives us.

Safe and fun travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
There is an ailment mostly common to boat owners called 2 foot fever. It can be caught by trailer owners too. We caught it after placing an order for the escape 17. One month later we switched the order to a 19, then 2 weeks later we switched to a 21. Luckily all was done before it was too late to change. We're very happy with the size of the 21.
James- you were very wise. So many have bought a 17 only to upgrade sooner than later(including us). Same for 19-21. A 19 is a stretched 17 and a 21 is really no different from a 19 as to going down narrow dirt roads or backing up.

While still owning our 17B(which we loved) we asked a local 19 owner for a tour. When mentioning we were considering a 21 we were warned about being able to park in grocery store lots...guess what that person now owns? Yep, a 21. Human nature/Consumer Behavior to defend one's own purchase. Glad you trusted your instincts- bet you are too!
Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #75
Site Team

tis true that a 21 behind a longbed extended cab 4x4 can be a real beast to squeeze into some supermarket parking lots. my combined length is 40-42 feet long, a few more if I have bikes on back.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:23 PM   #76

With our Supercab F150 and the 21 I haven't noticed any difference in the ability to park in supermarket parking spots. My wife usually does a quick check to make sure I'm equally "in" the two spaces.

And, if the place to park "between the lines" is smaller or more restricted than usual then it's "might is right". Park any way you can. I mean it's not like you're in a little car and park taking up two spaces.

Ron
Old 05-13-2020, 09:40 PM   #77
Site Team

Even taking 2x2 drivethrough spaces, my longbed f250 + e21 stick WAY out into the traffic lanes on both ends, especially in markets with relatively cramped parking lots, like the westside Safeway here in Santa Cruz.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The parking spaces at the Walmart here in North Vancouver are so narrow that I often have to back my RAV4 out of the spot so my wife can open the passenger door.
Ron?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #79

Oh I agree parking spaces are smaller in some areas. I was at a City of North Vancouver council meeting years ago when Rona (Lowes) came asking for permission to include the white lines as part of the width dimension for the their parking spots. It was granted. 4" doesn't sound like much but I was reminded of it today when I started to pull into a spot just as the car next door started to open his door. I could tell from his expression he was thinking, "crap, will I be able to get back into my car with him (me) parked next to him."

What a joke that was, first they get smaller parking requirements and then they fill them half up with garden sheds and a garden center.

But I digress. I used to be a super polite law abiding Canadian. Is there any other type. But over time I've come to the view that I have a right to park and shop. If I have to ignore a couple of white lines etc. when I'm towing so be it, as long as I don't obstruct the flow of traffic.

Ron
Old 05-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #80

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wonder if it ever occurred to the owners of the mall that people will avoid their mall if they can't park. Probably not, given the interior of Capilano Mall and the crappy stores there.