Escape 21 options? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Question Escape 21 options?

We are considering the Escape 21. We have looked through the available options and wonder what recommendations would owners make in addition to:
2 - Way Hot Water Tank
Removable Power Cord
Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat
TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet
Power Tongue Jack
Storage Box (Front of Trailer)
Convert Bench Seat to U Shaped Dinette
E2 - Integrated Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch
Wall Mount Extendable TV Arm (For 15" - 22" TVs)
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My number one option is the thermal windows and added wall insulation. Whether you are keeping the heat in or out, it helps a lot. Keeps noise levels from outside down a bit too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, we highly recommend insulation also, as it is a problem to add later. In addition, we have the spray foam underneath. Did not know that we would be in Texas at the time we bought our 21' and so glad we have all of the insulation we could get, to help with the heat.
Of course, the insulation options cost a bundle and people do what they can do. Your other options look good. Detachable power cord has caused problems for several people and the ones who like it often put it in themselves. Often for the cool factor.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget the Progressive EMS that protects your electrical systems inside, the frameless windows are opening in the rear now vs the stock so around your "U" dinette would be nice and breezy. In my 21 I had the tv ready in 2 locations, dinette and by the bed. Good luck....
Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Detachable power cord has caused problems for several people and the ones who like it often put it in themselves. Often for the cool factor.
Say what?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim bennett View Post
say what?
what !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What is your tow vehicle and how do you like to camp?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
both great questions, especially "how do you like to camp"

we like to get away from the crowds, so for us dual solar panels on the roof plus dual 6v batteries were key.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Yes, we highly recommend insulation also, as it is a problem to add later. In addition, we have the spray foam underneath. Did not know that we would be in Texas at the time we bought our 21' and so glad we have all of the insulation we could get, to help with the heat.
Of course, the insulation options cost a bundle and people do what they can do. Your other options look good. Detachable power cord has caused problems for several people and the ones who like it often put it in themselves. Often for the cool factor.
Cathy got a head's up on Airstream ,about a better detachable cord system called " Smartplug" I might save funds and install, on our trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
You didn't mention any additional power outlets, 12V DC or 120V AC. You might want to give that some thought to minimize cords laying/dangling around in the way. If you have a little counter top fan or a small floor heater, where are you going to plug those in? If you need an electric blanket, where will you plug that in? Things like that. We made sure we had both 12V and 120V outlets on each side of the dinette, and we had ETI drop a 12V line in the front overhead cabinet over the head of the bed just in case we needed 12V power in the front for something in the future. The one thing I already regret is not having ETI place a 12V outlet near the TV mount so we could run our TV on either 12V or 120V without cords dangling across cabinets. Just something to think about....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Cathy got a head's up on Airstream ,about a better detachable cord system called " Smartplug" I might save funds and install, on our trailer . Pat

Pat, I looked this up just out of curiosity. Looks nice but bear in mind it will likely be very difficult to find parts if you happen to have a problem on the road. I suppose even the standard twist lock detachable hardware could be a challenge to find as well. I've heard of some campers carrying a spare cord.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/smartp...FQpMDQodMvUNJg
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I see this is just your second posting. If you haven't already, I recommend looking through the forum for the options others are getting. There are lots and lots that are not on the build sheet. For example we are getting an additional 4 pin plug next to the receiver at the rear of the trailer to plug in additional tail lights attached to our bicycle rack.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #13

Quote:
........and how do you like to camp?
How you will camp is definitely a huge consideration, as though lots of us can give advise, it is based on our own camping styles, of which there are many.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Tow vehicle: 2010 Ford F250 (yeah, I know - a lot of truck, but it's paid for).
How do you like to camp: Full hookups when we can. Usually carry a generator if we think we might have to stay somewhere without hookups.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Once you go with solar and dual batteries you will more than likely sell that generator. Everything but a/c will operate off propane or 12v, so with full hookups you will be covered.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
Usually carry a generator if we think we might have to stay somewhere without hookups.
Like Jim alluded to, most people are moving away from gen sets. Solar is getting more affordable, and is much less hassle, along with much quieter. The only downfall is that it can't really handle air conditioning if you really need it.

Something to consider, but then too, if you do plan to mostly be using full service, a wee gen set may do the trick. If you get dual 6V batteries, they will last you for at least four days before recharge if you don't overuse the power, with the furnace being the single biggest draw.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you've already have the generator, keep the generator. I camped last year, in September, in Lassen National Park (no hookups). Needed to run the furnace at night. Some folks were running their A/C during the day. Talk about temperature swings! Too dang dark in the park due to all the beautiful trees for solar to be much use. Your generator will open up the time of year and places you can go, because you may need more power than solar and batteries can supply.

And yes, it's all about your camping style. I caution you to not spend much time looking back... you're not going that way! But, consider and look to the future. How do you want that to be and new things to experience? Have your trailer built with THAT in mind.

I wish you well!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #18

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Smile escape 21

1-Solar and dual batteries
2-extra lights in front and side where tank valves are located
3-Inverter for sure. Run wire from batteries to back of microwave for use boondocking .
4-tv ready gives you plugs a/c and 12 volt plugs by television arm
5-extra plugs(where you need them ?) and 12 volt in overhead compartments in case you want radio or ?.
6-4 sand pads for better stability
7-insulation and windows from Hehr .

We should have gotten the Inverter from ETI and also the surge power option .we also did not get the front fiberglass box I had a shop make up a s/s shelf that holds our big cooler or our blow up boat up there .
What ever you do don't skimp on options that are harder or can't be put on later.
You might as well spend your kids inheritance now and you can always WILL it to them later .
Good Luck with your choices
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat, I looked this up just out of curiosity. Looks nice but bear in mind it will likely be very difficult to find parts if you happen to have a problem on the road. I suppose even the standard twist lock detachable hardware could be a challenge to find as well. I've heard of some campers carrying a spare cord.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/smartp...FQpMDQodMvUNJg
Hi . Found system on Amazon , Camping World , marine supplies, like Marine West , etc. They are out of Seattle , USA . Comes wih 7 year warranty . Was looking at the Furion . The problems with those systems is connections get loose after awhile , then they can start to get hot . I believe Smartplug was developed for the boating industry . If I change to detachable system looks like I would better off to keep the corded if I don't go with Smartplug . The Smartplug is superior and safer detachable . There is also a 200 degree thermostat to shut down plug if it gets too hot . It will restore power when cord temp goes down . It is pricey so I am still debating . I guess I am thinking another storage space where the cord now sits .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pat, took a look at it last night and seems really good. If I were modding a detachable now I would go the Smart plug for sure. It didn't seem that much more expensive than the Furion kit when I looked on Amazon.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote