Escape 21NE - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Escape 21NE

My take on a 21NE build. What do y'all think?

Base price $28,995 With options ($6,672): $35,677

• Two-Way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V) $160
• Foot Flush Toilet 48
• Toilet Shut Off Valve 20
• Exterior Shower 132
• 190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller 680
• Surge Protector 320
• Removable Power Cord 120
• LED Awning Lights 136
• Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU Dometic) 980
• Wireless Backup Camera 408
• Frameless Thermal Windows 440
• Frameless Thermal Window in Bathroom 240
• Power Tongue Jack 236
• Exterior Access Hatch 140
• Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter 128
• Storage Box (Front of Trailer) 560
• Double step 40
• Full Wrap on Cushions (Custom Fabric we provide) 80
• LED Captains Reading Lamps 2@$40.00 80
• Alloy rims 600
• Two 12V heat pads with spray foam insulation 1,120
• Zamp solar port 104
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Looks good to me. two things jump out to me . you have the double step but not the high lift axle. The first step will only be 2" off the ground. Maybe thats what you want I don't know. also research the 12 volt heat pads and make sure there what you want. They do draw a lot of power and will need hook up to use them. I also see you have the solar and not the 6 volts batteries. they will give you more power. maybe you know this stuff but you did ask what we thought.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
All pretty common options with the exception of the 12V heat pads.

My list is similar, but I wanted to save on some items. I plan to do my own solar, with flexible panels taped to the roof, ala Jim Bennet and Mark B1; will add a rear camera later if I feel it is justified; went propane only on my water heater; and definitely don't want the propane QD - I see that as an extreme trip hazard with my crew. I also can't see paying $$ for wheels - bling isn't me, but you obviously feel differently.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Looks good to me. two things jump out to me . you have the double step but not the high lift axle. The first step will only be 2" off the ground. Maybe thats what you want I don't know. also research the 12 volt heat pads and make sure there what you want. They do draw a lot of power and will need hook up to use them. I also see you have the solar and not the 6 volts batteries. they will give you more power. maybe you know this stuff but you did ask what we thought.
Thanks NYHillbilly. I will delete the double step, and research those 12V heat pads. Actually I did ask "what do y'all think" right at the top. We've never looked at owning such a relatively complicated trailer. We've had old trailers and a Parkliner, so this is all new territory.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks NYHillbilly. I will delete the double step,
I wouldn't. I'd love to have one. We like to keep the interior of our trailer clean and mostly take off our shoes before going inside. When it's wet and muddy it would be great to have a second step just off the ground to serve as a mini landing and making it much easier to take muddy shoes off.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
All pretty common options with the exception of the 12V heat pads.

My list is similar, but I wanted to save on some items. I plan to do my own solar, with flexible panels taped to the roof, ala Jim Bennet and Mark B1; will add a rear camera later if I feel it is justified; went propane only on my water heater; and definitely don't want the propane QD - I see that as an extreme trip hazard with my crew. I also can't see paying $$ for wheels - bling isn't me, but you obviously feel differently.
I'm of an age I do not want to install solar myself. Would have been the kind of thing I would do even 5 years ago, but not anymore. I'm a fan of rear cameras. I understand your concern with propane, but we've always had at least one tank up front and never a problem. Aluminum wheels just tend to keep looking nice over time. If I'm gonna pay this much money for a trailer, I want it to stay good looking over time. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21NE
My 21NE build sheet is due in a week, so we're going through this stuff again as we approach final decisions. The Propane QD is useful if you BBQ a lot (we don't) or even cook outside (which with paying near $40k for a trailer with a nice kitchen inside seems regressive)...

The wheel upgrade is questionable to me if one lives around road salts & chemicals - steel rusts but alloy rims can pit/oxidize, and need some care. Too blingy and costly for me too.

LED awning lights - well, mood lighting I suppose but I have battery-powered LED strings if I want them.

I also would recommend the two-battery option.

Everyone's needs and camping styles are different, so just go with what you think you'll want and use, or just want. I'm revisiting my budget - it's easy to nickle-and-dime (or Hundreds-and-thousands) it into a very expensive trailer. Adding AC later is the same price as having it installed originally, and gives you a chance to see if you even want or need it - the only concession would be loss of the digital touch-thermostat. But if I was so lazy as to not want to have to reach up and throw a switch here & there, I'd get a huge motorhome instead of a small trailer!

My biggest dilemna is discovering that i placed my order just in time to get the last discount offered by ETI - the Black Friday $1000 discount - I totally forgot about it until I was adding up stuff on the build sheet and noticed that ETI had added it in! So do i add more stuff to my option selection, or reduce the overall price?

Good luck with your build sheet!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
The wheel upgrade is questionable to me if one lives around road salts & chemicals - steel rusts but alloy rims can pit/oxidize, and need some care. Too blingy and costly for me too.

LED awning lights - well, mood lighting I suppose but I have battery-powered LED strings if I want them.

Okay, no bling. Have deleted the aluminum wheels and LED lights as well. Makes sense - we have solar powered LED lights along the 50 foot length of our front deck garden.

The two battery option is for 6V batteries right? How does that work anyways? Two add up to 12 and provide 12V's? I'll add them, but need to know more.

Thanks for the tips and ideas all!
Old 06-13-2020, 05:41 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Frank
2 batteries, 6v or 12v, equals twice the capacity. It is normal to get the 2 6's with solar.

Is the kitchen sink window standard now? if not I'd add it.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Is the kitchen sink window standard now? if not I'd add it.
Yup it is!
Old 06-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
My 21NE build sheet is due in a week, so we're going through this stuff again as we approach final decisions. The Propane QD is useful if you BBQ a lot (we don't) or even cook outside (which with paying near $40k for a trailer with a nice kitchen inside seems regressive)...

Everyone's needs and camping styles are different, so just go with what you think you'll want and use, or just want. I'm revisiting my budget - it's easy to nickle-and-dime (or Hundreds-and-thousands) it into a very expensive trailer. Adding AC later is the same price as having it installed originally, and gives you a chance to see if you even want or need it - the only concession would be loss of the digital touch-thermostat. But if I was so lazy as to not want to have to reach up and throw a switch here & there, I'd get a huge motorhome instead of a small trailer!

My biggest dilemna is discovering that i placed my order just in time to get the last discount offered by ETI - the Black Friday $1000 discount - I totally forgot about it until I was adding up stuff on the build sheet and noticed that ETI had added it in! So do i add more stuff to my option selection, or reduce the overall price?

I took my Black Friday discount and used it on options that I felt I would have not gotten other wise . For me it was the extra solar panel and large fridge.

Quote:
Okay, no bling. Have deleted the aluminum wheels and LED lights as well. Makes sense - we have solar powered LED lights along the 50 foot length of our front deck garden.

The two battery option is for 6V batteries right? How does that work anyways? Two add up to 12 and provide 12V's? I'll add them, but need to know more.

Thanks for the tips and ideas all!
The two 6 volts are wired in series to get 12 volt. One way to think about it that you have one large 12 volt battery in two pieces . This would give you 224 AH of battery power. I believe the single 12 volt is 100AH/ If you never boondock you would not need this. because you added solar we assume you do plan on at least some boondockingn . For the price ETI charges this is a great option. Its nice to store that energy from the sun for cloudy days.
https://www.everything-about-rving.c...-in-my-rv.html
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

When is this Black Friday Discount? November 27?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
My list is similar, but I wanted to save on some items. I plan to do my own solar, with flexible panels taped to the roof, ala Jim Bennet and Mark B1; will add a rear camera later if I feel it is justified; went propane only on my water heater; and definitely don't want the propane QD - I see that as an extreme trip hazard with my crew.
Fine with the solar, but no changing your surname, okay.

I agree, just no need for a rear camera for me, but if you want easy to add later......

The LP QC is one of my favourite options. Easy to set up for a couple appliances, no worry or terrible waste with the 1 lb bottles, no having to lug around another big bottle, no running out of propane, and there is most definitely no issue with tripping and the hoses. 11 years of using this setup has not produced a single incident.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The LP QC is one of my favourite options. Easy to set up for a couple appliances, no worry or terrible waste with the 1 lb bottles, no having to lug around another big bottle, no running out of propane, and there is most definitely no issue with tripping and the hoses. 11 years of using this setup has not produced a single incident.
Thanks Jim.

My concern doing my own backup camera is where you hide the wires. If they run under the chassis, I can do that. Did it on my F150. I just don't want to drill holes in fiberglass if I can help it. How do folks do it with Escapes?

What is the LP QC option? I've seen the acronym used on the forum, but don't know what the QC acronym stands for. Is it on my list, or do I have to add it?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quick connect propane connector, uses an air hose type connect, also now used in your outside shower there is a quick connection. Type of joint connection between air, water, gas, liquids.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
When is this Black Friday Discount? November 27?
Last year it was over Thanksgiving holiday. We ordered the following Monday and got $1,000. off. We did not even know it was going on.

We have the second step on our 5.0TA but we also have the high lift frame (love it). The second step deflects an inch on ours. That might take it to the ground. (we got over 4 inches). I just checked and it does deflect downward slightly. No biggie, it's very strong. I like the high lift but you do need the second step. We boondock on dirt roads often! Yeah for us!

My strategy was and continues to be; I am only gong to do this once! I am not leaving anything out and I am building the camper I want. I got two solar panels and my system is almost always full (been on two trips so far). I bought almost every option they offer. All the time I could be upgrading my trailer, i intend to pour into using it!

My only regret so far is, I wish I would have put in USB outlets and 12 volt everywhere (especially by the bed). ! I got kids and they got phones and everything else. So do I!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Last year it was over Thanksgiving holiday. We ordered the following Monday and got $1,000. off. We did not even know it was going on.

We have the second step on our 5.0TA but we also have the high lift frame (love it). The second step deflects an inch on ours. That might take it to the ground. (we got over 4 inches). I just checked and it does deflect downward slightly. No biggie, it's very strong. I like the high lift but you do need the second step. We boondock on dirt roads often! Yeah for us!

My strategy was and continues to be; I am only gong to do this once! I am not leaving anything out and I am building the camper I want. I got two solar panels and my system is almost always full (been on two trips so far). I bought almost every option they offer. All the time I could be upgrading my trailer, i intend to pour into using it!

My only regret so far is, I wish I would have put in USB outlets and 12 volt everywhere (especially by the bed). ! I got kids and they got phones and everything else. So do I!
I'm getting the second step to help when it's wet out, so I have two steps to go. If we still lived in Rawlins, no question I would be getting a high lift. I know places to camp in the northern Rockies most RVers would never find!

We'll both be 68 later this year, so no kiddies (or grandkids) around. Gail is a techie, so she does need her USB plugs and so do I. But can't you get devices that allow you to charge a bunch of USB devices off of one plug? We have them in the house.

I agree, we're only going to do this once too. The last trailer we'll ever own.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
USB Charger

You can purchase a USB charger that has high output charging for iPads etc and runs off of 12 volts. You can hard wire it in or put a cig plug on the end. We have two in the trailer and one in the truck so we charge everything while we are out for a drive while boondocking.
Check out this link for the details.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post280825
Attached Thumbnails
DD2313D5-E415-4860-9A7A-BD2C5ED2177F.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
My take on a 21NE build. What do y'all think?

Your avatar says Looking for a 5.0TA , did you change your mind? We like our 5.0TA

Base price $28,995 With options ($6,672): $35,677

• Two-Way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V) $160 We have propane only, one less thing to do (I think you manually switch it over) also an accidental turn on with the hot water tank empty and you have another job replacing the electric element.

One advantage of the electric that I've heard is you'll be able to heat water faster with both sources on at the same time (If you like back to back showers or lots of people using shower). Might take awhile to save the $160 in propane?

• Foot Flush Toilet 48 We have the handle flush - toilet sits on top of the black tank making the handle close by. Also, I haven't had the experience, but I would think that to flush the foot flush you either need to be very limber to get your foot up there or you need to stand up, turn around and flush. I am aware the foot flush is a very popular option, I haven't seen anything from anyone who has had both.

• Toilet Shut Off Valve 20 We didn't do this, I haven't heard of people having problems that required turning off the toilet water. I thought I could install myself if I changed my mind. At this point if it happens we will disconnect the water supply or turn off the pump.

• Exterior Shower 132We have one on the passenger side, mainly used for our outside dish washing station and it is handy to have water available out there.

I doubt we would ever use one on the drivers side - picture attached

• 190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller 680 We have one solar panel and the two 6 volts batteries, this has proven sufficient for us. Now I think the solar option gets you the two 6 Volts, if not I would recommend them as well.

We also have the full outlet inverter and for us it is a well used and appreciated - option, your use would depend on your style of trailer usage.

• Surge Protector 320 We have it, I understand it is good insurance against some electrical issues

• Removable Power Cord 120 We have it, easy enough to work with, doesn't take up space under back bench

• LED Awning Lights 136 We didn't go for this, but Colleen likes the effect when she sees awning lights on other trailers. we'd likely add this if ordering again

• Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (11,000 BTU Dometic) 980 Yes, it's noisy, but cold

• Wireless Backup Camera 408 I have this and for me it is a great option (I like to know what is going on behind me and contrary to others opinions you do have a greater view directly behind the trailer. Also when in traffic you can tell when the front of the vehicle in an adjacent lane is beyond the rear of the trailer.

I also have added portable mirror extensions
- picture attached

.• Frameless Thermal Windows 440 We have them and like the looks, no problems with them.

Be aware if you get the manual awning, there may be some interference between the closed awning and the open window. I think this is the case with all the models, but maybe not.

• Frameless Thermal Window in Bathroom 240 Ours is not thermal but we have one and we like it

• Power Tongue Jack 236 N/A with a 5.0TA

• Exterior Access Hatch 140 I believe the 5.0 has only one available option hatch, at the passenger's side rear. We have it and do use it some, but we have totes in the back of the truck with chocks etc.

Yes, I would do it again as I am sure we or the next purchaser will make use of it.

• Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter 128 We did not get this. We bought a 10 lb. tank. Less expensive than this option, no hoses to step over and we can place our grill where we like. We just bought a "Lil Red Campfire" and it doesn't seem to be emptying the 10 lb tank quickly, but we are not big users of it.

• Storage Box (Front of Trailer) 560 N/A on a 5.0TA

• Double step 40 We don't have this, we once needed to use the step stool on a site that was on very unlevel. We got our stool from ETI, it gets lots of use otherwise.

• Full Wrap on Cushions (Custom Fabric we provide) 80 We did the full wrap and would do it again, could be handy if we spill and should increase the life of the fabric. We provided the fabric, at that time we had only one choice - we would likely have found something in the choices available now.

• LED Captains Reading Lamps 2@$40.00 80 We have two, we wouldn't miss them if we didn't have them

• Alloy rims 600 I added these at the last minute, wanted the extra "show off". VAIN?

• Two 12V heat pads with spray foam insulation 1,120 No, unless you have a special reason, the consensus here seems to be "NO", not very practical.

• Zamp solar port 104 I haven't had a need or even wanted a portable panel. But if I were to build again I would add the port for a portable, might come in handy someday.
We have the TV/Cable ready, we don't use it, we place the television on the counter when we watch it and use a MIFI / Roku for connecting

We have the Extra Insulation and spray foam, can't comment on effectiveness, but we would do it again.

I don't think you mention kitchen window, maybe the 21NE comes with it, but we would want it

We have the U-Shaped Dinette, we like it, but we have done a mod to make the rear bench more comfortable. - picture attached

Table, we would dislike the two pedestal (or even the one pedestal) . We did the Lagun table mount mod and love it. We had ETI cat all four corners on the table. Many go with the Springfield, I think the main advantage of that mount is if you are converting the dinette to a bed on a regular basis. We have converted ours a few times, it is quite easy with the Lagun. - picture attached

Split rear bench seat, we did it our self, but it is an ETI option. - picture attached

We put in a larger stainless steel sink. If doing it again we'd probably do the larger Quartztone sink. Negative = Inefficient use of water.

We put in a Convection Microwave Oven, we like it, don't lose cupboard space if you want both an oven and microwave - negative = uses electric for oven vs the ETI oven uses propane.

We added counter extension at the end of the counter, we like it and I think it is a popular add on.

We also did the "white" belly band. Others have said that it gets dirty. We have used the trailer a lot and it looks as good as the day we picked it up (just one year now). Our trailer does have inside storage which I imagine helps keep it clean.
Everyone's needs and uses are unique. Good to ask the question "How will I use the trailer now and 5 - 10 years down the road"?
Attached Thumbnails
Sweet Suites Outdoor sink setup.jpg   Bench w Extension not mounted and no table (4).jpg   Bench w extension mounted - No table.jpg   2 LagunRotateRt 4 IMG_20200104_164706.jpg   Emmett's Extended Outside Mirror.jpg  

Splt Rear Seat  IMG_20200512_112848.jpg   Splt Rear Seat no cushion half opened IMG_20200512_113045.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks Jim.

My concern doing my own backup camera is where you hide the wires. If they run under the chassis, I can do that. Did it on my F150. I just don't want to drill holes in fiberglass if I can help it. How do folks do it with Escapes?

What is the LP QC option? I've seen the acronym used on the forum, but don't know what the QC acronym stands for. Is it on my list, or do I have to add it?
I bought a WiFi camera for $33 USD on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150-WiFi-Wi...s/193467577676

I've tested it with an old Android Phone which I will use as the display in the tow vehicle. So far it works fine. I don't have my trailer yet so I can't say for sure how well it will work.

It has 3 wires ground, power, and reverse light.

I wouldn't recommend using on your normal phone as it would be a pain. But, if you have an old smartphone you don't use or even pick one up from Walmart on the cheap, it seems like it will work.

It gives you the option to flip the display from mirror image or not, and the ability to add backup lines, which is what the reverse light line is supposed to turn on and off. I didn't test that functionality as I was using a 12 volt power supply with both the power and reverse lines connected.

I figure for $30 and a phone I don't use for anything else it's worth a try. So far I'm hopeful.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote