Escape 21NE stolen in Arvada, Colorado - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Jack - E- Up

When in storage we use the Proven Industries lock, lower the tongue so the lock sits on a cinderblock, then remove the jack. Jack E Up is not a security device, but it makes it just a little harder to raise the trailer if you have to bring along your own jack .

https://jack-e-up.com/

Also keeps me from denting my tailgate!

Sure hope you find that trailer.

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
When in storage we use the Proven Industries lock, lower the tongue so the lock sits on a cinderblock, then remove the jack. Jack E Up is not a security device, but it makes it just a little harder to raise the trailer if you have to bring along your own jack .

https://jack-e-up.com/

Also keeps me from denting my tailgate!

Sure hope you find that trailer.

Glenn
Escape owners used to get a discount at Jack-e-Up in the past.....
Old 08-28-2022, 04:07 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
double up your hitch lock with a wheel lock.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Just to add some closure to this thread:

- My insurance company declared the trailer a total loss in mid-September
- I ordered my new Escape 21NE in August before the insurance had "settled" just knowing I was going to get another one.
- The Adams County Sheriff's office notified me they *did* recover my trailer in mid-October. At this point, I had already signed over the title and it no longer belonged to me.
- The deputy Sheriff I spoke with said it was recovered in an empty lot about 6 miles from the storage yard. A homeless person had been living in it for several months and it was trashed. He actually told me where it was located before the salvage company towed it, but I just didn't want to see it.

My new 21NE will be ready on 5/9/23 and my wife and I will drive up to Sumas to pick it up.

You can be sure I will have the best hitch lock money can buy plus a wheel lock and GPS trackers for this next one. I'm looking at RV storage places right now to try and find a good one.

Cheers, and buy good hitch locks out there folks!
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:13 PM   #65

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
- The deputy Sheriff I spoke with said it was recovered in an empty lot about 6 miles from the storage yard. A homeless person had been living in it for several months and it was trashed. He actually told me where it was located before the salvage company towed it, but I just didn't want to see it.
Nothing to do with you of course but IMO it'd be fascinating to know where that 'salvage' trailer ends-up. I assume it'll be liquidated through some sort of auction to defray the insurance company's pay-out .... who knows what its future holds from there ......

In any case I'm glad to see you've moved-on and have a replacement on order, condolences again for having suffered this episode, wishing you the best in your future endeavors!
Old 12-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #66

I did actually speak with the folks at the storage yard where they towed it. They had looked up the VIN and got my address -- sent me a bill for $600 for storage. I called them and explained how it was not mine anymore. I did notify the insurance company it had been recovered, but they never got back to me.

The folks at the storage yard said if the insurance company didn't contact them they would just sell it at a salvage auction. She said it happens all the time -- insurance companies don't like to mess with recoveries after they have already been paid off.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #67

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I am a believer that covered storage is worth the difference in cost from an open fenced lot on a monthly basis. I’m even more convinced that if there’s any way possible, private storage on one’s own property is the best way to go. I know it’s not an option for many folks for a number of reasons. For us, where we live now is the culmination of a lifelong goal and when I’m asked if I’m still at my address by a store clerk, government person or whoever,
I’m happy to answer “Yes I am and I’m gonna die there, just not tomorrow………, I hope.
Glad your insurance company worked with you to your satisfaction.
Thanks for the update.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #68

I would agree. Onsite at your house is the best, covered storage is better than not, but I will likely have to settle for less than that -- there just isn't much in the way of covered storage in Denver and when you find it the cost is very high. I'm not sure I want to put $4k per year into storage fees.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #69
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Stolen

Hey John,
Glad things are getting sorted out for you. A very unfortunate and frustrating situation. I know you lost valuable time hopefully you didn’t lose money as well. I sure many people upgraded their trailer locks because of what happened to you I know I did.
Best of luck going forward.
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Nothing to do with you of course but IMO it'd be fascinating to know where that 'salvage' trailer ends-up. I assume it'll be liquidated through some sort of auction to defray the insurance company's pay-out .... who knows what its future holds from there ......

In any case I'm glad to see you've moved-on and have a replacement on order, condolences again for having suffered this episode, wishing you the best in your future endeavors!
I agree, don't want to sound like a vulture but if the right person buys it there's a good chance that it'll be restored to a decent condition. It's doubtful the basic structure was damaged.

Thanks for posting the resolution and, yes, it's a safe bet that many folks re-considered their anti-theft devices.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:18 PM   #71

There was a shiny new 1-up bicycle rack on the back of that trailer! Since it's locked to the back hitch it might be a little difficult to get off

The trailer could certainly be restored, I'm just glad I'm not the one who is doing it!
Old 12-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #72

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
I would agree. Onsite at your house is the best, covered storage is better than not, but I will likely have to settle for less than that -- there just isn't much in the way of covered storage in Denver and when you find it the cost is very high. I'm not sure I want to put $4k per year into storage fees.
We have used A1 in Golden for the 4 years we have had our used 5.0. We have had no issues but have not done any research on their record of trailers stolen. They are good people and have been most accommodating with our wants and requests.
I am still convinced that the 5th wheel trailer would be the last one chosen by most trailer thieves. What homeless person has a 5th wheel hitch.
Good luck with your search.
https://a-one-storage.com/
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
We have used A1 in Golden for the 4 years we have had our used 5.0. We have had no issues but have not done any research on their record of trailers stolen. They are good people and have been most accommodating with our wants and requests.
I am still convinced that the 5th wheel trailer would be the last one chosen by most trailer thieves. What homeless person has a 5th wheel hitch.
Good luck with your search.
https://a-one-storage.com/
Thank you for that recommendation, I will check them out!
Old 12-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #74

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That would be a very interesting project to redo the interior of a trailer like that given the price was right.

I am glad that you were not forced to take it back in poor condition. Many times when a vehicle is stolen around here the thieves run the bag out of them in the bush and they are returned to the owner a few days later with years of life drained out of them and no compensation.

Doing many posts in “Modification to Eggscape” on how to keep your trailer from being stolen, I am sure some people think I am a little paranoid on the subject. I don’t expect that a person will do all the modifications but rather a few that are within their capabilities. Over the last few months I have posted 3 of my latest ideas and there are two more to follow in the next few weeks.

Enjoy the thrill of a new trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #75

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, don't want to sound like a vulture but if the right person buys it there's a good chance that it'll be restored to a decent condition. It's doubtful the basic structure was damaged.
We purchased our 2007 Casita side dinette basic model that had been t-boned by a drunk, from a guy who bought it at auction and didn't know what he had. The drivers side rear wheel was at a 30° angle, a 6" patch of gelcoat missing, and all the passenger side cabinet latches ripped open from the impact. I used a 4' level to check to make sure the frame was still straight. We gambled and purchased it for $2,000, spent another $425 for a new Dexter axle, about $50 for new latches, and just left the missing gelcoat as it was.

We enjoyed the Casita for five years, pulling it out west every year.

If I was younger I'd find out where John's 21 NE is stored and try to buy and repair. We had no problem selling our Casita for $5,000 with a "Salvage" title.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #76

Trailer: 2021 5.0
As in real-estate most of the really good rehab deals are scooped up before it makes any type of ad.
These yards know what they now have, they all have a built in network set to take advantage of this, every step of the way. Nothing wrong with it, its how they make their living.
It never hurts to ask if its still available.

This trailer will be rebuilt and resold.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:00 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape
Typically the insurance company turns the recovery to an auction service. The service does the paperwork to clear the title, usually by a salvage title, and puts it up for auction. Only bidders registered with the auction company can bid, but for a fee anyone can get registered.

The preferred method for the previous owner is to try to work out a deal with the insurance company to get the vehicle back directly. Some companies will cooperate, but most can’t be bothered. If they deal with the owner someone has to store the trailer, do the title work and negotiate the price. Easier to have the auction company tow it away even if the company will see little or no return.

I’m glad the owner has a good plan and hopefully a fair settlement to get a new trailer.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:15 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yes, however in many cases the insured is able to negotiate with their insurance company ahead of anyone else. I sure would in this instance.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #79

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Though we no longer live in Denver, we stored our trailer at Centennial Storage on Titan Road in Littleton for several years, up to this September. Centennial has a barn for inside storage that worked well for us. Our trailer is a 19’, so I am not sure a 21’ would fit but you might check it out. Friends store there outside and have been very happy. Key card entry. Good luck and best wishes for your upcoming trailer adventures.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #80

Trailer: Escape
Rossue, you are correct that peoplet buy their vehicles back from the insurance company to fix. That is the case with crashed vehicles when you can negotiate during settlement of the claim. For stolen vehicles, as in this case, that is rare. Time has gone by, the owner has been paid off, and the vehicle goes to auction.

Looking back at Post 66 I see that the OP did inquire about the trailer and hit a dead end.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote