Escape 21NE stolen in Arvada, Colorado - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #81

Trailer: 2012 E19
The OP is an honest man. A less honest person would have paid the $600 storage fee and towed the trailer out. Not sure the insurance company would have ever found out it'd been recovered. But the OP knew it was no longer his to take.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I would be careful about reclaiming stolen trailers these days, especially one that had been lived in like that. I had a car stolen and missing in Seattle for several weeks - it had been trashed too, and I required the insurance company to have it tested for meth residue before I would reclaim it. They opted to total it instead. Which was fine as it was a beater anyway.

Dealing with a meth trailer carries health risks - a superfund site! Seriously, I’d pay for testing before dealing with a salvage like that…
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #83

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I would be careful about reclaiming stolen trailers these days, especially one that had been lived in like that. I had a car stolen and missing in Seattle for several weeks - it had been trashed too, and I required the insurance company to have it tested for meth residue before I would reclaim it. They opted to total it instead. Which was fine as it was a beater anyway.

Dealing with a meth trailer carries health risks - a superfund site! Seriously, I’d pay for testing before dealing with a salvage like that…
Stay out of hotel rooms if dope residue is a concern, it’s crazy civilization hasn’t moved past it.
I’ve been told by someone who would know, the meth from the days of stealing cold medicine off the shelf doesn’t compare to what the cartel now cooks up. It really explains why the current homeless junkies are so lost.

I’ve used an angle grinder enough to know on paper rock scissors, it wins every time over metal. Still it will cause a small slowdown and the noise level is a good alert. I’m sure every junkie has a stole one in their possession.

My best defense-I hope-is my hidden power cutoff switch to the legs.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:39 PM   #84

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
Thank you all for your concern and comments:

Here's where we are today, 6 days after I realized the camper had been stolen:

- Insurance company (Progressive) is working through the research. They believe they might have some good video from the storage yard, but not conclusive.
- We gathered all of our receipts of "stuff" we bought for our camper over the year. Over $3000 of accessories.
- I contacted Escape trailer to let them know what happened and they will notify their dealer network to be on the lookout.
- As several have noted, the storage yard legal contract absolves them of theft. After researching RV thefts over the past week, I will say a storage facility is the most likely place to have your RV stolen. Next time, mine will have a GPS tracker with notifications.
- we did not have a cover on our trailer. I own one, but only put it on for the winter because they are so difficult to get on and off, plus I want the solar panels to keep my batteries charged between trips. We camp quite often in the summer.

Still holding out some hope for recovery, but I do know that once you get past one week from notifying police/insurance/etc, the odds go way down.

We got the Classic Accessories cover and since translucent white on top I discovered does still get charge to panels.
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
. . . My best defense-I hope-is my hidden power cutoff switch to the legs.
?? Did I miss something?
Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp@Home View Post
We got the Classic Accessories cover and since translucent white on top I discovered does still get charge to panels.

AND So sorry for your loss. New replacement probably best way to go, sucks for the added wait PLUS restoring even new to what you had. I wouldn't want to repair that much on my already new E19 regardless of 'savings'. Not to mention custom mods I'd have to redo as well. And as others have mentioned, potential of hazardous substances to deal with.... DO check out Eggscape's mods for security. Many simple and inexpensive enough, just adding the many hassles can deter thieves to move on. Am reconsidering my cheap ball lock for sure....
Old 12-07-2022, 07:17 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
?? Did I miss something?
Assume referring to the power jack as 'legs'. At least a few posts on the hidden power switch to secretly disable it. Mild deterrent, but just another hassle to add....
Old 12-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
?? Did I miss something?
On the 5 there are switches to raise and lower the front legs, I installed a hidden power cutoff switch that will disengage the power switches. I’m pretty sure they’d have a hard time finding it.
Anything to slow them down…
Old 12-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp@Home View Post
Assume referring to the power jack as 'legs'. At least a few posts on the hidden power switch to secretly disable it. Mild deterrent, but just another hassle to add....
Very simple, if one is familiar with 12v wiring.
Mild deterrent, good luck hooking up a 5 without them. Power jacks thats is…
Old 12-07-2022, 10:22 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a power cutoff switch on the electric jack on the 21 also.

Anecdote alert:
Back in the day I had oversight for the the city Christmas tree in Cedar Rapids. We we’re running 40 strings of 25 bulbs per string. C-9 bulbs. So we had 4 100 foot extension cords 12-3 weight on four 20 amp circuits. One year, the first night, all four cords were stolen. We replaced them the next day and filled out a police report . One of my detective friends surmised that the cords were stolen for the copper. The next night the tree was lit again when I went by about 5:30 PM but was dark as I returned across the interstate bridge an hour later. Cords were gone again. I went to file a second report the next day. However, as I was filling out the report at the police station, they called me into a Detective office. All 8 cords were on the floor. The thief had cut the ends off the first four. When he went to sell the second four the counter man at the scrap yard told him he was glad the ends were still on, because he could get him a little more money for them. How much more? “ I’ll have to call my boss.” The dragnet was out and the call went to the PD. Minutes later, the thief was in jail. We got some restitution for a couple years and put new ends on the cords. Then recidivism took over and our thieving little tweeter ended up in the state reformatory. 10 years, I retired before he got out. Good police work. I had terrific rapport with the police. They always had a free pavilion for their annual picnic, we installed a nice covered shooting station at the pistol range, provided them with newly painted tables for the state shoot etc. Never hurts to put fresh butter on fresh bread.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-08-2022, 06:39 AM   #91
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Dave, wonderful that your police department was so competent. But I thought you were going to tell us how you had built in a deterrent to keep the wires from being stolen. Still, good story.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #92

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In 2008 Cedar Rapids underwent a massive flood. The Christmas of 2008 was the last year that the Christmas tree was set up on the Veterans Memorial plaza. After that it was moved to a city square park. I retired in the early fall of 2009, so no longer had oversight. After a redesign of Greene Square ( no typo), long drop cords were no longer needed. The nearby (under the tree) power source and LED bulbs made the long cords unnecessary.

I have hundreds of stories regarding public theft, vandalism, and other incidents regarding abuse of public property. To last 32 years in the social environment that existed during my career required, durability, innovation and a sense of humor. I had that Trinity. And it was anything but holy.

Had a great evening last night at my oldest grandson’s high school. Concert bands played several numbers including a tribute song to Pearl Harbor, and of course “Sleigh ride” complete with the wood clapper for the whip sounds. 130 young musicians can make a great sound.
My grandson plays clarinet, base clarinet, alto saxophone and now in concert band, bassoon.
He competes in cross country and speech and participates in theatre set building with his dad.
Those young people will give you hope.

As to Escape security, we take some steps but are not obsessed. I’m much more concerned with crazy, lane changing, discourteous drivers who couldn’t back up an Escape for 50 feet but who go nuts on road, not so straight and not really “driving”.

Merry Christmas.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #93

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
In 2008 Cedar Rapids underwent a massive flood. The Christmas of 2008 was the last year that the Christmas tree was set up on the Veterans Memorial plaza. After that it was moved to a city square park. I retired in the early fall of 2009, so no longer had oversight. After a redesign of Greene Square ( no typo), long drop cords were no longer needed. The nearby (under the tree) power source and LED bulbs made the long cords unnecessary.

I have hundreds of stories regarding public theft, vandalism, and other incidents regarding abuse of public property. To last 32 years in the social environment that existed during my career required, durability, innovation and a sense of humor. I had that Trinity. And it was anything but holy.

Had a great evening last night at my oldest grandson’s high school. Concert bands played several numbers including a tribute song to Pearl Harbor, and of course “Sleigh ride” complete with the wood clapper for the whip sounds. 130 young musicians can make a great sound.
My grandson plays clarinet, base clarinet, alto saxophone and now in concert band, bassoon.
He competes in cross country and speech and participates in theatre set building with his dad.
Those young people will give you hope.

As to Escape security, we take some steps but are not obsessed. I’m much more concerned with crazy, lane changing, discourteous drivers who couldn’t back up an Escape for 50 feet but who go nuts on road, not so straight and not really “driving”.

Merry Christmas.
Iowa Dave
Far afield from the topic of this thread, I know, but the mention of bassoon caught my eye. If he's college bound, that ability could get him to the front of the admissions line &/or a nice scholarship. Bassoonist are in high demand.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Iowa Dave.
Love your stories.Keep'em coming and have a very Merry Christmas.
Oldest son heading for the desert, he retired last year, I get reports from the road and give him some info based on our travels down south.
We are staying here in the rain.
Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote