Escape 21NE stolen in Arvada, Colorado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2022, 08:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Escape 21NE stolen in Arvada, Colorado

Hi all,

Our 2021 escape 21 NE was stolen from the storage yard we keep it at in Arvada Colorado (Denver) Please keep an eye out for our trailer. On the back it has the name “surface interval”. Tags on it say AJQ-K88

We took delivery on our trailer in November of last year and it is absolutely heartbreaking to wait a year and a half to get the exact trailer we want and have it stolen from us along with $3000 of very special accessories and personal items.

I did have a hitch lock on it but it was not one of the more expensive ones it was a master lock I believe which is probably 60 or $70?

If I ever get it back or buy a new one I will do things differently. I will buy the most expensive hitch lock I can get and probably buy a wheel lock In addition to a GPS locator.

Of those three things, I think a GPS locator would be the best since you could set them up with a phone app and a notification if your trailer moves and you’re not with it.

The facility we kept it in is an RV storage facility with tall fences and an electronically controlled gate with video cameras at the gate. It is only open from 7 AM to 7 PM which means our trailer was stolen in broad daylight.

The company is reviewing the video now to see who took my trailer out of there and see if they can get a plate or a vehicle identification. One problem is I don’t know the exact day it was stolen Since I don’t go there every day.

I do have insurance of course and hopefully that will pay for my less than one year old trailer plus the tons of accessories we bought for it. But it’s still a very painful thing to deal with because these are very special campers and they cannot be replaced very easily.

Thanks for reading,
John
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Oliver LE2 T 23'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnspierce View Post
Hi all,

Our 2021 escape 21 NE was stolen from the storage yard we keep it at in Arvada Colorado (Denver) Please keep an eye out for our trailer. On the back it has the name “surface interval”. Tags on it say AJQ-K88

We took delivery on our trailer in November of last year and it is absolutely heartbreaking to wait a year and a half to get the exact trailer we want and have it stolen from us along with $3000 of very special accessories and personal items.

I did have a hitch lock on it but it was not one of the more expensive ones it was a master lock I believe which is probably 60 or $70?

If I ever get it back or buy a new one I will do things differently. I will buy the most expensive hitch lock I can get and probably buy a wheel lock In addition to a GPS locator.

Of those three things, I think a GPS locator would be the best since you could set them up with a phone app and a notification if your trailer moves and you’re not with it.

The facility we kept it in is an RV storage facility with tall fences and an electronically controlled gate with video cameras at the gate. It is only open from 7 AM to 7 PM which means our trailer was stolen in broad daylight.

The company is reviewing the video now to see who took my trailer out of there and see if they can get a plate or a vehicle identification. One problem is I don’t know the exact day it was stolen Since I don’t go there every day.

I do have insurance of course and hopefully that will pay for my less than one year old trailer plus the tons of accessories we bought for it. But it’s still a very painful thing to deal with because these are very special campers and they cannot be replaced very easily.

Thanks for reading,
John
Hi John,
So sorry this has happened to you, some of our friends had this happen and posted pictures on their local Facebook page and got lucky and were able to find it-hope you can too. Lots of evil doers in the world today!

Best of luck

NHBoomers
NHBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is terrible news- hope it is found soon & in good shape.

Reminds me to actually use my wheel lock I picked up the day I picked up my new 21C 8 years ago. It is the California Immobilizer, made in Nanaimo, B.C. Have used it occasionally, yet will use it more now.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Well,crap, that's a kick in the teeth.

Hopefully the video will provide a lead.

What color are the graphics?

Good luck with the insurance.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
There are photos on the Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9139...5617895557778/

I hope for a quick recovery.

And here’s one photo of a few from that posting
Attached Thumbnails
A8A97575-1BF7-432A-863B-88293275DF1C.jpg  
Old 08-05-2022, 07:05 AM   #6
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Hi John,
That certainly sucks. There are many cameras in use today and hopefully one may provide a lead. We recently sold our Casita and are waiting for a 21C and I have to admit my hitch lock wasn’t very robust. Your misfortune will compel many of us to reevaluate what we do to secure our trailers.
Best of luck
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Does the storage yard bear any responsibility? Do they not monitor who comes and goes?
Old 08-05-2022, 10:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'm sorry to read of the OP's plight, hoping the best for a successful recovery of their trailer intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Does the storage yard bear any responsibility? Do they not monitor who comes and goes?
Lacking 'gross negligence' storage yards are rarely responsible for theft of this sort (it's inevitably addressed in the rental contract).

They have no way of knowing if a tenant has given a third-party permission to access or move their items and endeavoring to 'police' that sort of thing would be an operational nightmare; it's a rare storage facility which undertakes that level of service.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Monitored, in and out actions in storage yards with a live gate guard, just like what you see in gated communities is possible. It probably exists, but like the old admonition says, “Sure,
but it will cost you!”
Sorry to hear of the theft of anything of value from anyone, hope for the best and hope that the insurance process works out as well as possible if necessary.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
That is a bitter pill to swallow. Relief will be a long time in coming.

I, too, keep my E'21 in an Arvada RV storage yard. I did check - it is still there.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
May the thief suffer from severe hemorrhoids until he repents!
Old 08-05-2022, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Sorry to hear about your Escape. Sad to hear.

I hope that everything works out for you.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
May the thief suffer from severe hemorrhoids until he repents!
I was thinking may the fleas of 1,000 camels infest his/her armpits and pubes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Anyone looking to buy a used rv should run a vin check to see if it’s been flagged as stolen or salvaged. There are various sites, here is one: https://www.nicb.org/vincheck.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:10 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
John, We are so very sorry to hear of your loss. Heartbreaking to hear this. Sincerely hope it will be recovered soon. We've been meaning to stencil our license plate number and/or vin on the top of our air conditioner cover in the unfortunate event we need to identify it someday. Not a permanent ID, of course but one that would-be thiefs hopefully won't realize is there and would be easy to see from the skies above. All your other ideas are good reminders for us all. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you the best with recovery or insurance. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
That’s really a bad break.

I remember the last time things were going bad, like 2011, I set a television out at the curb after a tenant moved out-we have the curb alert rule here-the next day the TV was still there.
Unusual, at the time so I’m loading it up to trash it and I noticed something missing, they took only the electric cord off it for the copper scrap.
I knew then times were about to get really tough.

Side note I thought it was a cool concept as it was a completely see through shell, naive me didn’t know about prison televisions.

I have a hidden kill switch for my jacks, but if I were to have to leave mine on a lot it would be up on blocks. Wheels off and the door unlocked, save me from replacing the door.

Nuts how my ring spotlight can zero in on a spider web but some surveillance cameras are still useless, the mask sure hasn’t helped.

Where I live crime is blasting off, good luck if you own a Kia…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I am very close to your location.

I will definitely keep an eye out for your trailer.

Hang in there!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I am very close to your location.

I will definitely keep an eye out for your trailer.

Hang in there!
We too like UT will keep our eyes alert as we travel in CO this week.
When we were deciding on a trailer model, one of the top 3 reasons we opted for the 5.0 was that few thieves would go to the work and expense of having a 5th wheel hitch. Without the hitch stealing a 5th wheel trailer would be much more difficult, but nothing is impossible.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I am so sorry to hear this - that's awful!

I am curious though - did you have it covered? I wonder if a covered trailer would be lower on a thief's desirability list? It is obviously more work to remove the cover and also then the shiny gem underneath isn't so attractive.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Any word on what the video showed? Can't see that it should take too long. We can zip through our coverage at home pretty quickly. If they say that they can't find it I'd think hmm

I can see the need for a tracker for high value, easy to tow potential targets when stored in a storage yard. Doubtful that a used stickie of similar size would be a target. I agree, maybe a cover would help protect it from people passing by and not seeing that there's a high value trailer there.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote