Escape 5.0 A/C not cooling bed area - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Escape 5.0 A/C not cooling bed area

It seems the A/C unit in my new 5.0 blows the colder air to the rear dinette area. Not much cold air exits the forward A/C vent to cool the bed area. It looks like they installed the inside unit backwards because if the a/c unit is closer to the dinette area then the bed area, you want more air blowing to the bed area not freeze you out while eating.
My question is, if you have a 5.0 and AC unit, does it cool the bed area or freeze you out at the dinette? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I shut the 2 side vents, open the rear vent maybe 1/4, the bottom maybe 1/4, and the one that faces the loft is 100% open. Works for us.

I'm taking it you have the same A/C as my 2014.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

Trailer: NA
Padlin is correct. You need to balance the air flow the same as in your house. In most houses a HVAC tech does this but I've readjusted my vents several times. It also helps to crack the windows open a bit in the area you want more AC.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I open a window next to the bed just a bit , or better yet the Escape hatch to get the air circulating. Works really well.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I shut the 2 side vents, open the rear vent maybe 1/4, the bottom maybe 1/4, and the one that faces the loft is 100% open. Works for us.

I'm taking it you have the same A/C as my 2014.
We do the same as padlin and that works for us, ours is a 2019 5.0TA
Old 06-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #6

I know of at least one member here who installed a 12vdc fan in upper corner of the loft in an effort to keep the loft the same temp as the rest of the cabin. If you haven't experienced it yet, the same thing happens with heat, to a lesser extent.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I know of at least one member here who installed a 12vdc fan in upper corner of the loft in an effort to keep the loft the same temp as the rest of the cabin. If you haven't experienced it yet, the same thing happens with heat, to a lesser extent.
Yes, a small fan does help.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan.jpg  
Old 06-24-2020, 02:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Buckyver... We close all the air vents on the A/C unit except the one pointing to the loft. Keep it wide open and usually have to shut off the unit during the night. Think "Walk in fridge". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

I installed some insulation in the hatch also , greatly reduced heat gain from the hatch when in direct sun. This also helps keep loft area cooler (and warmer)
Attached Thumbnails
17687684-6047-4F60-BB26-F05A4ED8CE11.jpeg  
Old 06-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #10

And blocks the light on those nights you're stuck at WM.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The side vents on the A/C blow cold air on the cabinets and reduce flow out of the others. They were the first thing I closed, as did others here. And I can second the recommendation to put insulating pads in the so called escape hatch/skylight to reduce heat gain during the day and light intrusion at night. The loft in my 5.0TA can get as cold as a meat locker, like Alf stated.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I used a small oscillating tower fan at the foot of the bed in the 5.0 ta that I had. It worked well circulating the air in the loft area.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I did have the sides closed and the bottom vent.

As for the vents, the rear vent seems to have no obstructions but the front facing (towards bed) vent, has the filter in the path of the air and doesn’t seem to let much air out. Is this how everyone’s looks? For proper airflow, I would say the filter side of the unit should go towards the dinette area.
Attached Thumbnails
D6BE7759-E1E1-42D1-9C30-4A9E082C471B.jpg   0051673E-28EA-4127-922E-5A77D5E9FC19.jpg  
Old 06-25-2020, 05:28 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I did have the sides closed and the bottom vent.

I believe you may want the bottom open as it draws air thru the bottom and out at the top? Try leaving the bottom horizontal vents open and see if that helps air flow....
Old 06-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Buckyver... I'd also take the filter out and rince it. Even though it's new it could be restricted with construction and dust debris!!! We don't use ours alot but it still needs a rince now and then. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #16

My trailer is covered so I can't verify what the loft side vent looks like, but as far as the unit being installed bass ackwards, the outside cover has 4 screws holding it on, 2 in the lower front and 1 on each side towards the back. You should be able to see them and tell if it's incorrect.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyver View Post

As for the vents, the rear vent seems to have no obstructions but the front facing (towards bed) vent, has the filter in the path of the air and doesn’t seem to let much air out. Is this how everyone’s looks? For proper airflow, I would say the filter side of the unit should go towards the dinette area.
As this is a universal air conditioerl, a lot of the set ups have the dinette in rear and a lot have it in the front. Your air flow direction can not be custom to your interior. some people do not want cold air blowing on them in bed, whereas others do?
Did you open the bottom vents?
Old 06-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA
I completely understand the struggle and wonder if the AC and max fan were swapped would it make a difference. The solution when have arrived at is leaving the side vents closed, the rear slightly cracked and the downward and bed facing wide open. We also run a 10-12 inch Honeywell fan on our table facing the bed area and a six inch usb clip on fan from Lowes in the bed area. This does a great job of pushing the air to the front. We originally closed off the downward vents but discovered using a laser thermometer the air is 5 - 10 degrees cooler than the the air coming from the bed facing vent. We also remove and clean the filter after each three weeks of use using a shop vac or compressed air.
litjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by litjim View Post
I completely understand the struggle and wonder if the AC and max fan were swapped would it make a difference. The solution when have arrived at is leaving the side vents closed, the rear slightly cracked and the downward and bed facing wide open. We also run a 10-12 inch Honeywell fan on our table facing the bed area and a six inch usb clip on fan from Lowes in the bed area. This does a great job of pushing the air to the front. We originally closed off the downward vents but discovered using a laser thermometer the air is 5 - 10 degrees cooler than the the air coming from the bed facing vent. We also remove and clean the filter after each three weeks of use using a shop vac or compressed air.
Really? If you just crack the windows next to the bed for a few minutes you will get airflow. If the AC unit where swapped with the fan I think the bed would get like a noisy refrigerator and you’d have issues cooling the rest of trailer.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyver View Post
Took a look at mine, it is the same as yours. The cooled air looks to be channeled around the intake and filter, which makes sense. So we do need to keep the bottom, and sides mostly closed, the rear (dinette) open as needed, and the loft side open all the way, or some such.

The manual shows the adjustable bottom vent is also an exhaust, with the intake just thru the filter.

I cleaned the filter while I was in there, first time since I got it, pretty plugged up.