Escape 5.0 Over Truck Bed Mattress + FROLI bed support system - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2023, 07:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Smile Escape 5.0 Over Truck Bed Mattress + FROLI bed support system

My 5.0 pick up date is still far out into the future. However, I’m curious if I should order my 5.0 without the permanent bedroom mattress? Does anyone know if the mattress supplied by ETI is a good quality mattress? My experience has been mattresses supplied by trailer manufacturers are JUNK. I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube RV travel channels and have recently heard of Brooklyn Bedding RV Mattresses. I do not have any first hand knowledge on the quality of these mattresses, but am hoping someone on this forum has something to offer who already has possession of a 5.0.

Also, I am curious if anyone has used the FROLI mattress support system in their travel trailers? As I understand it, the FROLI mattress support allows for air to circulate around and under the mattress to help eliminate mold developing under and on sides of mattress.

Than you,
Eddie
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeryder View Post
My 5.0 pick up date is still far out into the future. However, I’m curious if I should order my 5.0 without the permanent bedroom mattress? Does anyone know if the mattress supplied by ETI is a good quality mattress? My experience has been mattresses supplied by trailer manufacturers are JUNK. I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube RV travel channels and have recently heard of Brooklyn Bedding RV Mattresses. I do not have any first hand knowledge on the quality of these mattresses, but am hoping someone on this forum has something to offer who already has possession of a 5.0.

Also, I am curious if anyone has used the FROLI mattress support system in their travel trailers? As I understand it, the FROLI mattress support allows for air to circulate around and under the mattress to help eliminate mold developing under and on sides of mattress.

Than you,
Eddie
Hi: bikeryder... In 2014 my wife was of the same mind. We'd need a better mattress for our 5.0TA. Here it is 2023 and we're still using the ETI supplied mattress. Sometimes not doing something is better than doing something!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Comfort is so subjective. Too hard, too soft, not big enough... and on and on. Unless something has changed, you won't get much of a credit if you decline the mattress. I'd say take it and try it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
We've found that with the addition of a memory foam topper, the ETI mattresses is fine. I sleep better in my escape than at home.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
We've found that with the addition of a memory foam topper, the ETI mattresses is fine. I sleep better in my escape than at home.
I agree 100% and after 5 Escapes I have yet encountered any mattress issues...
Old 04-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I weight 190 pounds. After three years the mattress on my side was failing. We found a 100% organic latex mattress from a small bed maker in Minnesota who would build any size mattress needed. The latex mattress was heaven for both Terry and myself and wish we'd have replaced the ETI supplied mattress earlier.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-03-2023, 12:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
No issues here with the mattress Escape provides. After looking at quite a few different RV brands before deciding on Escape, we feel their mattress FAR exceeds the industry standard for comfort. Like Donna D says, everyone has their own idea of what makes them comfortable. Trying out what comes with the trailer might be a good idea.

As for the Froli system. We had plans for doing that - and some on this forum have done so - but we haven’t yet. We found the bed comfortable enough on its own. We cut pool noodles and placed them vertically all around the sides and head of the bed to keep spacing for air flow. After one camping season and the winter in storage we’ve had no mold issues (knock on wood ).
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
E19. Froli for air flow. Pipe wrap around edges for airflow. 2” firm topper for comfort. The mattress itself without the topper was not great, but the topper makes it work fine. We have a latex mattress at home for reference.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We have a 2019 Escape 19. My wife and I were skeptical of the mattress, but actually find it super comfortable, as good as or better than our home mattress. But as Donna D says it is very subjective. We also installed the Froli system. We didn't try the mattress before the Froli system so not sure if that is contributing to the comfort of the mattress or not. We got the Froli system primarily for air circulation and it works fantastic. Never a hint of moisture and we live on the West Coast and have camped in sub zero temperatures with no moisture
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0
In my 5.0 I replaced the factory mattress with a Plushbeds RV mattress. I got it because it's super comfy (I already had experience with that brand) but also because it's only 6" thick. I like the thinner profile in the 5.0, for more head room and it was easier for my senior dog to make that last step up...
Old 04-03-2023, 07:39 PM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
In my 5.0 I replaced the factory mattress with a Plushbeds RV mattress. I got it because it's super comfy (I already had experience with that brand) but also because it's only 6" thick. I like the thinner profile in the 5.0, for more head room and it was easier for my senior dog to make that last step up...
One reason we got the latex mattress was because it was only 7” thick. We too enjoyed the extra headroom.

Since the mattress in a 5.0 doesn’t touch the sides you don’t need the ventilation the 15, 17, 19, and 21 need. A mattress up against the wall needs extra ventilation.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
If you're a 'belly sleeper' you may find the ETI mattress a bit soft / too 'plush' (I did @ 5'10" x 170#). I prefer a much firmer mattress than most folks who sleep on their side or back.

But my neighbors are loving it as an upgrade in their sticky trailer.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question

Quote:
Does anyone know if the mattress supplied by ETI is a good quality mattress? My experience has been mattresses supplied by trailer manufacturers are JUNK.
Like Donna said, comfort is highly subjective. We wondered the same thing, but found the ETI mattress comfortable, for a coil mattress, plus it's really light. Way better than the stuff that comes stock in most of the RVs out there. In the end, we swapped it out for the Wilderness RV mattress we had in the RV our 5.0 replaced.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0TA
Much thanks to all who have replied to my thread. I believe I will invest in the FROLI mattress support system and begin my 5.0 journeys with the standard ETI supplied queen mattress. If in the end it doesn’t work out, I can always donate it to a local charity.
Bikeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
We agree 100%. After having our Escape supplied mattress on our first trip, we found it slightly firm (good support however). Bought a 2" memory foam topper and its beeeautiful!! Also installed the HYPERVENT underlay and we have no more condensation issues and lots of air circulation under our mattress.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0 (Dec ‘21)
Froli Star = Peace of Mind

Quote:
Much thanks to all who have replied to my thread. I believe I will invest in the FROLI mattress support system and begin my 5.0 journeys with the standard ETI supplied queen mattress. If in the end it doesn’t work out, I can always donate it to a local charity.
We went with the Froli Star system, because we were worried about moisture and mold. We've only had it a year now, used it May through October, and our 5.0 is in storage for the winter here in Anchorage. Had it ready for when we picked up the trailer Dec. '22. So I don't have a long term use report for you. The biggest pain is getting that mattress down the stairs from on high...I had to bend it lengthwise, which probably wasn't good for it.

I like it, it gives us peace of mind re: airflow, but it does reduce headroom 1.7 inches. The Queen size gets you 12 rows of 10 across, but I wish I had one more column because the mattress overhangs just a bit on the sides, and I get sag when I get too close to the edge (I even put the stiffeners along the long edges.) I couldn't tell any difference in having the soft cones under our shoulders, for example, and wish they were all the regular cones. Finally, the system slides around a bit on the carpet (I think they were meant for boats where there is a "tub" to contain them, with a lighter foam mattress?). So I periodically lift the base at the foot and shake the system and mattress down, because they will ride up the short angled trailer wall of the head of the bed. Now we worry that the carpet is going to trap moisture, but without it would be like a dance floor, sliding around!

I was leery of the 3/4" HyperVent providing enough airflow, but haven't heard anyone complain about it. $400 for Froli, $135 for Genuine HyperVent...I figured for the price of the trailer, I didn't want to be cheap, and we knew we'd be camping in cool weather.

We like our mattress and the Froli, even with it's quirks.

Duane & Marty
WannaBeEscaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I think the original mattress is very comfortable as supplied... More so than my home mattress.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We added one of those egg carton looking mattress toppers shortly after getting our 5.0TA in 2017. Lots of nights of use and quite like it. If you use a solid latex mattress the cost would be outrageous and the weight quite heavy. At home we have a high quality box spring with two layers of 2" latex on top. Very, very comfy, but those four pieces (two per side) of latex are quite heavy.

As Donna said, there is no one mattress that works for everyone, we all have differing sleeping methods and comfort needs.

This said, I am on the "give it a try" side, maybe add a topper and if needed change it out.

We did change out the 5" foam mattress in our 19 when it got too soft, then using a foam mattress with a 2" latex foam topper. Nice and comfy but I had to carefully repack the trailer to move some weight forward due to the weight of the mattress in the rear of the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA - arriving early Feb!
Hi Marsman,

Our 5.0 arrived next month! I was about to buy the hypervent and used their chat box to confirm it would work with carpet under the mattress. They responded: "Honestly, probably will not due to the carpet absorbing moisture".

How has your experience been? Did you put anything else over the carpet to allow the hypervent to stay clear of the carpet getting into the mesh?

Anyone else with hypervent and the 5.0 bed on carpet?

Thanks all,
texastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
We installed it in ours over the carpet but haven't had it long enough to know if it is effective or not. I'm skeptical it is effective and coupled with I don't like the shag carpet for cleaning reasons so I plan on pulling the carpet out. It will mean I have to put thin plywood down as there's only a perimeter of wood with a piece down the middle front to back with rigid foam in-between. I'm also redoing the steps and will inlay extremely low pile carpet planks on the steps and I bought enough of the planks to do the perimeter of the bed area on top of the plywood.