Escape 5.0 TA vs Arctic Fox 22G - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Escape 5.0 TA vs Arctic Fox 22G

I’m considering a 5.0 TA and the main competitor is the Arctic Fox 22G. Here’s a link to info on that trailer. There is a video there too.

Northwood | Arctic Fox 22G

Please let me know if I’m missing anything in the comparison below.

22G Pros:
—————————————
Less expensive (after the Escape’s recent price increase)
Walk around bed (easier access to the bed and easier sheet changes)
More exterior storage with front pass through
Allows for truck cap and even more storage in truck bed
Allows more cargo weight (7500 lb vs 5500 lbs GVWR)
shocks on all four wheels
Easier to find a rental truck if my truck breaks down
Bigger kitchen sink
Dry bathroom with more room, better sink, shower, and toilet
4-seasons insulation with enclosed and heated underbelly
ducted A/C
bigger holding tanks
custom-made heavy duty off-road chassis
easier to backup
more attractive (others may disagree )
less unique and blends in more (others might see this as a con)
more standard features

22G Cons:
——————————————————
more maintenance (time and money)
lower longevity
faster depreciation
heavier weight (about 700 lbs once adding A/C etc to 5.0 TA)
less fuel-efficiency when towing
shorter warranty
more time consuming to hook-up than 5th wheel
more difficulty towing (w/ sway etc)
smaller dinette and table
less peace of mind (I'd feel more confident w/ molded fiberglass)
worse forum

No dealer carries Arctic Fox near me. So there will be trek involved in the purchase for either trailer. Also, I didn’t mention Escape's custom build because I wouldn’t need to customize the 22g.
yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 19'
To me it's fiberglass or not .. Then all the rest of the choices. With all six of my previous trailers and campers I felt like the little boy running around sticking my fingers in the leaks and fighting mold and rot.

My two fiberglass it's the opposite. Like wooden boats and fiberglass boats which holds up best in the environment.... Sun or rain you just clean and use UV protection on the fiberglass and the shape is rounded, much easier to do it on.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Hi Eric
For what it's worth I think you could really enjoy an Arctic Fox for a good number of years if taken care of. The interior is lovely and spacious, price point more affordable etc etc.
Having said that, when I first started researching trailers last fall I quickly realized that Escape was the only choice for us. We actually have a fiberglass cabin cruiser and can vouch for how durable that material is. We were willing to compromise on size to get a product that has a reputation for no leaks and holds it's value for decades to come. From life experience the phrase "pay me now or pay me later" often holds true!
There is something out there for everyone. Good luck with your decision and get out there and have a blast!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I bought my Escape because I wanted small, lightweight, easily towable, low-maintenance, and great looking. I don't think the Arctic Fox meets any of those criteria.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Roughly 2011 we took a ride to PA to look over the 22G along with a 22H. I found the bed was too short for me in the 22G, also complaints about delaminating side panels were fairly common on the AF's at the time. I haven't kept up with AF since then, but it looks like they have a new process for the exterior walls, hopefully the delamintion issues are in the past. Liked the 25's but just too darn big for us. They had unfortunately discontinued the 24-5n fifth wheel by then.

I'd suggest you go see both trailers, being completely different animals your decision should be easy.

The Escape suits our camping style better at the moment, if I were in the market for a bigger unit an AF would be on the short list.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
To me it's fiberglass or not ..
This is my thinking too. I made the decision to go with a moulded fibreglass trailer, long before I decided to go with an Escape.

Other than the amenities they offer, these two trailers have next to no similarities.

The Arctic Fox does seem like a decent trailer though, considering it is not moulded fibreglass.

I think the biggest problem here is that you brought the query forward to Escape owners most of whom love what they have, and it is tough to be unbiased.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Hi! The Artic Fox is one of the best stick built trailers. I live in Spokane WA and have a dealer here and have been in that same trailer. I considered purchasing that very model myself. Very well made, strong frame, 2'' walls not 1 1/2'', quality throughout. And I am 99% sure I am going to order a 5 TA in April for all the reasons Ice Breaker stated. The 22g is 8 1/2' wide and almost 24' long. Just a bit bigger and heavier than I want. I will be towing with a 1/2 ton Tundra so I think the Escape is as big as I want to go. Granted there will far less storage space in the trailer and pickup. 5th wheel and all... I went to the Escape facility as well to look at the 5 TA and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the trailer. The scale for me tips to the Escape. Come on April 1st!!!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
My difficulty with this comparison is that the two trailers are almost completely dissimilar. If it were one fifth-wheel versus another, or two trailers of the same size and configuration but differing in construction, or anything else more comparable... then an objective comparison would make more sense.

For instance, four-wheel shocks were listed as an advantage for the Arctic Fox, but there is no mention of the Escape's E-Z Flex, or the fact that a 2017 5.0TA would have a completely different independent rubber-sprung suspension.

I suppose part of the challenge is that there isn't a big enough Escape to be directly comparable, and this leads to selecting the 5.0TA (rather than the non-existent Escape 23' or longer conventional trailer), introducing the complication of two different configurations (conventional versus fifth-wheel).

There are other trailers which would be a more direct comparison to this Arctic Fox; I assume they are not mentioned because the Arctic Fox is preferred to them. The most obvious would be the 21-foot or 25-foot Bigfoot trailers, which are more like the Arctic Fox than any Escape in just about every respect.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
I double that Mark&Elaine! It has become torturous for me!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I think it really comes down to experience with your camping style, what you think you will need and whether they would both work for you.
If the Escape and the Arctic will both meet your needs and price isn't a factor either way, then it becomes the comparison of construction type, maintenance required, longevity, and resale value. A molded fiberglass trailer like the Escape will win out on all of those factors. I went to the dark side (stick built) after owning a Scamp 13 because I had two growing children that are more difficult to accommodate in a molded fiberglass trailer for a month on the road. After two years of dealing with a very high maintenance stick built trailer and trying to stay ahead of the leaks I convinced my wife that we had to get back to molded fiberglass. We've been back now for quite some time and aren't leaving again. EVER.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiyoda View Post
I’m considering a 5.0 TA and the main competitor is the Arctic Fox 22G. Here’s a link to info on that trailer. There is a video there too.

Northwood | Arctic Fox 22G

Please let me know if I’m missing anything in the comparison below.

22G Pros:
—————————————
Less expensive (after the Escape’s recent price increase)
Walk around bed (easier access to the bed and easier sheet changes)
More exterior storage with front pass through
Allows for truck cap and even more storage in truck bed
Allows more cargo weight (7500 lb vs 5500 lbs GVWR)
shocks on all four wheels
Easier to find a rental truck if my truck breaks down
Bigger kitchen sink
Dry bathroom with more room, better sink, shower, and toilet
4-seasons insulation with enclosed and heated underbelly
ducted A/C
bigger holding tanks
custom-made heavy duty off-road chassis
easier to backup
more attractive (others may disagree )
less unique and blends in more (others might see this as a con)
more standard features

22G Cons:
——————————————————
more maintenance (time and money)
lower longevity
faster depreciation
heavier weight (about 700 lbs once adding A/C etc to 5.0 TA)
less fuel-efficiency when towing
shorter warranty
more time consuming to hook-up than 5th wheel
more difficulty towing (w/ sway etc)
smaller dinette and table
less peace of mind (I'd feel more confident w/ molded fiberglass)
worse forum

No dealer carries Arctic Fox near me. So there will be trek involved in the purchase for either trailer. Also, I didn’t mention Escape's custom build because I wouldn’t need to customize the 22g.
Very nice trailer ! Only you know what is best for you and you will be happy with . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My difficulty with this comparison is that the two trailers are almost completely dissimilar. If it were one fifth-wheel versus another, or two trailers of the same size and configuration but differing in construction, or anything else more comparable... then an objective comparison would make more sense.

For instance, four-wheel shocks were listed as an advantage for the Arctic Fox, but there is no mention of the Escape's E-Z Flex, or the fact that a 2017 5.0TA would have a completely different independent rubber-sprung suspension.

I suppose part of the challenge is that there isn't a big enough Escape to be directly comparable, and this leads to selecting the 5.0TA (rather than the non-existent Escape 23' or longer conventional trailer), introducing the complication of two different configurations (conventional versus fifth-wheel).

There are other trailers which would be a more direct comparison to this Arctic Fox; I assume they are not mentioned because the Arctic Fox is preferred to them. The most obvious would be the 21-foot or 25-foot Bigfoot trailers, which are more like the Arctic Fox than any Escape in just about every respect.

Brian, thanks again for all your help on my other thread! And I didn’t select this comparison as some perfect hypothetical comparison between sticky and molded fiberglass. These two are just the finalist in my personal search.

I really like the concept of molded fiberglass trailers, but I’m tall so there aren’t many options. I need 78” (6’6”) interior height to feel comfortable. Maybe 77” if there is no A/C in the way. I also have other wants like a big fridge and dedicated bed etc. The Bigfoots don’t have enough headroom. The 5.0 TA is my favorite molded fiberglass trailer. I’d like the Escape 21 more if it had more interior height though.

The Arctic Fox is my favorite stick built trailer and has a very good reputation. It has a lot of the features I wish the Escape had (see the pros above). If Escape made a similar molded glass trailer for similar price (yeah I know the price would probably be much higher), then my search would be over.

Just hoping to get some feedback here and next on the Arctic Fox forum from people with more experience with these trailers than I have.

(Also in regards to the shocks, I believe they work in conjunctions with the springs ...regardless of if those springs are “leaf”, or “‘coil” or “rubber” etc. So that’s why I listed them as a pro. If Escape is introducing an axle that is equal or superior to the Arctic Fox axle with both springs and shocks, then I’ll have to remove Shock Absorbers as an Arctic Fox pro.)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I have briefly seen a 5.0 TA and a larger used Arctic Fox (25r), but have plans to see the 22g and the 5.0 TA again. And don’t worry if your responses are biased. They are still valuable! I plan to post this same question on the Arctic Fox forum down the road.

Both seem like great trailers. I’m just in the process of trying to gather more information before I pick which one is better for my particular needs.

(Oh, and I know the 22g has a shorter bed, but I've heard it's easy to extend with 6" foam block that you insert between the mattress and the headboard.[under where the pillows go])
Old 03-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #14

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a 5.0TA and absolutely love it! If we ever decided that more room was necessary, the AF 27-5L is what we would buy. Thunder RV in La Grande would most likely be able to provide a great deal.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiyoda View Post
(Also in regards to the shocks, I believe they work in conjunctions with the springs ...regardless of if those springs are “leaf”, or “‘coil” or “rubber” etc. So that’s why I listed them as a pro. If Escape is introducing an axle that is equal or superior to the Arctic Fox axle with both springs and shocks, then I’ll have to remove Shock Absorbers as an Arctic Fox pro.)
True, shocks work the same way and help the suspension regardless of the spring material, but the rubber suspensions without added shocks are usually better-damped than steel spring suspensions without added shocks.

The Arctic Fox's shocks probably do work better than the Escape 5.0TA's E-Z Flex; however, if you order new at this point your Escape 5.0TA would have Dexter Torflex independent suspension... which would add another comparison point.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21

Eric, I can totally understand the allure of the Arctic Fox. We had a Nash, poorer cousin of that Northwood line, and loved its layout. Despite having its seams checked for leaks by the dealer's service department, its lifespan was a brief 12 years before we almost gave it away due to water damage. After the first major leak cost $6800 to fix, we were even more diligent in checking and fixing caulking, but 6 years on another slow leak finished our Nash off. BCRV sales said you had to pull back along every caulking seam inch by inch regularly to ensure the water didn't get by the seal. And they didn't find our first leak when we found a suspicious sign of moisture. I saw them fixing s brand new Arctic Fox that already had water damage. Oh, and the inside support to the fiberglass wall panels on them is a type of cardboard. It warps easily with any moisture.

If you can make do with a 6 foot 4 inch ceiling (excluding under air conditioner) I would suggest the Escape is a better investment, better quality and with FAR better support than Northwood gives. I ran into other Nash and Arctic Fox owners who had significant issues and weren't happy with Northwoods response.

But if you can't stand up in an Escape maybe another mounded fiberglass trailer might have more head room. None that I have seen would be any better with interior height.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Hi -- I've been lurking here for a while and felt like this is a topic for which I have something useful to say. We just sold our 2013 Arctic Fox 990 truck camper after it developed leaks which immediately led to delamination under the cabover. The source of the leak was of course the usual breakdown of Dicor sealant on the (many) seams. This was after only 3-years.

It also developed a leak around a skylight in the bathroom which was caused by the plastic developing hairline cracks due to UV exposure after only 2 1/2 years. When I contacted Arctic Fox about this they said this is normal wear and tear and the sun is too strong in California for the plastic (!). The bathroom leak didn't lead to damage, but the cabover was going to cost $2-3,000 to fix.

The problem is the use of Filon siding. All non-fiberglass RV's are going to leak eventually, but with the AF the Filon immediately delaminates when water gets on the backing, whereas other materials (like Aluminum) are fine.

That's how I ended up here looking at Escape trailers. No more Dicor for me.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #18

Thanks for your story, skyfree. In my case, after our first water damage I was checking the seams religiously, in fact our current Google street view shows me removing old caulking and sealants (the correct ones) and reapplying liberally. In spite of that and frequent checks it happened again. The same happened to my brother-in-law just this past year. These leaks don't show until the floor is soft or the wall show discoloration, then on tracing it you find the source isn't even close to where the damage occurred. We might have delayed our damage by covering the trailer over the winter, but we left it exposed to our PNW elements.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I always covered my Starcraft, made no diffrence, 7 till the water got it.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #20

With both my leaks, even when the damage was obvious the RV repair shops were unable to find the problem seams. (Two major RV shops looked before it was ripped apart) Only after ripping the trailer apart and following the dampness could they see where the water must be getting in. But the seam didn't appear compromised in either case. No Eureka moments. They must have been pinhole leaks. In both cases the leaks were at the point where the Filon panels met the rubber roof.