Escape 5.0 TA vs Arctic Fox 22G - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't know if it's still Filon.

"One-Piece, Corona Treated, Continuous Fiberglass
Hot, Polyurethane Laminated, Multi-Layered Substrate Walls"
Old 03-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #22

Trailer: 17b
I know a guy who went from a Casita to an AF and loves it. He lives fulltime in it and takes it way off the backroads. He's been living in it for over two years with no problems and really enjoys the extra space and warmth.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #23

Trailer: none
The fact that molded fiberglass has less areas for leaks is a definitely a strong point. But it seems like there are still lots of areas that can leak and need maintenance …A/C, vents, windows, pipes, side seam etc. I think a stronger point is less cosmetic and structural damage when the eventual leak does shows up.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...dwow-1599.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...vent-1033.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ater-6610.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...king-4689.html

No Leak Myth | Scamp Owners International
yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Escape 5.0 TA vs Arctic Fox 22G

Even if it isn't Filon (or is it) it doesn't stop water penetration past the sealant, where it soaks insulation (mold) and seeps to areas where water does do damage. Unless the inner paneling and floor are water proof you will still have damage. After our first leak the floor was changed from particle board to plywood, but in 2014 my foot almost went through the rotted plywood floor hidden under the vinyl flooring that hadn't turned colors yet.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #25

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
wonater leaks

We are on our 4th plastic trailer of 3 different brands and we have had no leaks with minimum maintenance. The motorhomes and other trailers I had to climb on top and reseal.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #26

The molded fiberglass trailers are less likely to leak because the high stress points where walls meet floor and roof can't leak. Plus when water gets under the flooring in an Escape it should flow to drain ports that ETI pointed out during our factory tour. The double walls of stick trailers trap the moisture where it is held by the insulation against the wood layer of paneling. I think the damage from a leak in an Escape or other molded fiberglass trailer would be far less damaging structurally.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't know if it's still Filon.

"One-Piece, Corona Treated, Continuous Fiberglass
Hot, Polyurethane Laminated, Multi-Layered Substrate Walls"
I think Filon is just a type of fiberglass. I wouldn't think that the Filon itself would contribute to any delamination tendencies. It's probably more the lamination technique used, and how prone the roof seams are to leaks.

I'll make sure to ask the Arctic Fox forum if there are still delamination issues when get around to posting there.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #28

Jack, it may be that we have so much more rain in the PNW. I doubt that a pinhole leak in Arizona would be as significant as in our climate. Also, there are plenty of stick trailers that don't leak, but more than mounded fiberglass and with more damage.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post

If you can make do with a 6 foot 4 inch ceiling (excluding under air conditioner) I would suggest the Escape is a better investment, better quality and with FAR better support than Northwood gives. I ran into other Nash and Arctic Fox owners who had significant issues and weren't happy with Northwoods response.

But if you can't stand up in an Escape maybe another mounded fiberglass trailer might have more head room. None that I have seen would be any better with interior height.

Bob K
Unfortunately, the standing height is a bit too low in the Escape 21. But I have plenty of headroom in the 5.0 TA. I wish the 21 had more headroom because that model would free-up my truck bed for storage. Oh well.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We are on our 4th plastic trailer of 3 different brands and we have had no leaks with minimum maintenance. The motorhomes and other trailers I had to climb on top and reseal.
Jack

Your home base is Arizona. Mine is Florida. I bit of difference in rain frequency!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #31

I didn't realize the 5.0TA had more headroom.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
I know a guy who went from a Casita to an AF and loves it. He lives fulltime in it and takes it way off the backroads. He's been living in it for over two years with no problems and really enjoys the extra space and warmth.

The guy in this video sold his Oliver Legacy Elite II for an Arctic Fox and is very happy too. That's the Elite II with a 48k base price! You can see my little conversation with him in the comment section.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I didn't realize the 5.0TA had more headroom.
21' Interior Height: 6'5"
5.0TA Interior Height: 6'4" to 7'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Jack, it may be that we have so much more rain in the PNW. I doubt that a pinhole leak in Arizona would be as significant as in our climate. Also, there are plenty of stick trailers that don't leak, but more than mounded fiberglass and with more damage.
Bob I think you are on to something because our camper was pristine for a 1992 sold in 2013 . I was the second owner and through the years replaced the exit hatch and the bath vent . Always checked the caulking ,etc. That camper was made in California in Oxnard , small father and son company , very well made , almost custom with a complete aluminum roof . I think the weather can have a lot to do with it. We do have the sun and uv's to contend with here , hence a cover . I wish my trailer could be inside ,even better . Where you live and how you park it can really make you more or less problems . Just my thoughts on subject . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
When I was looking at getting a stickie (sticky?) my fav dealer moment was sitting down at the saleswoman's desk and going over some options. She explained that they apply positive air pressure to the cabin, after sealing up windows etc, and hit the shell with some soapy water and look for air bubbles. Yes sir, we do that as a delivery service along with a complete PDI. <insert a 'ain't we wonderful' smile ™>

So I says, "its been sitting on the lot for 6/9/12 months in the elements and its just now getting a leak test?"

<remove a 'ain't we wonderful' smile ™, insert deer in head lights look. Customer exits stage left shortly thereafter>
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #36

Thanks Pat. I know some escapers in my area store their trailers for the winter exposed to the elements, but I will do all I can to prevent any leaks. I still think a pinhole leak wouldn't destroy an Escape like it would a stick built. I haven't read of many molded fiberglass trailers with extensive water damage. Someone inform me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
21' Interior Height: 6'5"
5.0TA Interior Height: 6'4" to 7'
Yes, the 6'4" must be in the dinette area where you don't stand. I had plenty of room in the kitchen area where you can stand. The 5.0 TA has the most functional headroom of any molded fiberglass trailer. Also, I think there must have been 6'3" headroom in the bathroom because my head just barely touched.

The 6'5" in the 21' must be measured in the highest spot. I'm 6'3" and my head touched when I walked in the trailer (with shoes). Also, the A/C added to issues. And there was no hope of standing in the bathroom.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #38

Bruce, both RV repair shops told me that their leak test wouldn't detect pinhole leaks like mine. I was surprised to hear that from two major RV dealers.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks Pat. I know some escapers in my area store their trailers for the winter exposed to the elements, but I will do all I can to prevent any leaks. I still think a pinhole leak wouldn't destroy an Escape like it would a stick built. I haven't read of many molded fiberglass trailers with extensive water damage. Someone inform me if I'm wrong on that.
That's my understanding too. It seems that leaks are less frequent in the glass trailers and less damaging when they do occur.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #40

YogiYoda, I missed your statement that damage in Escapes is likely to be cosmetic or not structurally significant. But clearly I can't ignore seal maintenance just because it is a molded shell. How many days a year of rain for you on Florida? Maybe it dries just as quickly. Here near Vancouver we can have extremely long periods of rain, weeks long with no time for surfaces to dry out.