Escape alternatives - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any metal cargo trailer can leak at seams and rivets. Stick with fiberglass and not worry, higher price, less worry.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #62

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Here is an interesting question, why is it that the cargo and RV trailer industry is largely dominated by low quality manufacturers?...

...It seems like for about 90% of the customers out there, the #1 priority in any trailer is price, and the manufacturers are mostly responding to that.
I think you answered your own question. When consumers demand better the market will respond.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #63

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Unlike cars where folks went to better built foreign manufacturers, RV buyers don't have a better built option, other then small fiberglass units. Most do not want small so there is no option.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #64

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Escape 19 has the dual axles which could be a plus or minus depending on your opinion. I liked the idea of dual axles in case you ever had one tire blow, you still have 3 left.

This is a little off topic, but I had a tire blow on a 20' RV trailer. The dual axle was so stable that I didn't know the tire was gone until somebody pulled up next to me an waved. It really was that subtle.

So the good thing about a dual axle is that it remains quite stable during a blowout. The bad thing about a dual axle is you might pull a blown tire for a couple miles, which can really do a lot of damage.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
This is a little off topic, but I had a tire blow on a 20' RV trailer. The dual axle was so stable that I didn't know the tire was gone until somebody pulled up next to me an waved. It really was that subtle.

So the good thing about a dual axle is that it remains quite stable during a blowout. The bad thing about a dual axle is you might pull a blown tire for a couple miles, which can really do a lot of damage.
I've had 3 of those over the years, and every time I was so glad I had dual axles...
Old 10-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #66

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
When I had one at 65 mph I could feel a bit of a vibration. Had no damage other then the wheel, tire, and my wallet.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:

That’s why I use a TPS on our 21 so I know if /when there’s an issue with the trailer tires.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
That’s why I use a TPS on our 21 so I know if /when there’s an issue with the trailer tires.

David
Yup - had a TPMS on every rig the last 15 years or so and never had a blowout or had to change a tire on a muddy shoulder in the rain. Lots of warning to get to a safe spot to inspect/change - better yet, to find a tire fixit place!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Does one have to install the sensors inside the tire or just on the tire stem? I have been thinking about this option but can not decide.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #70

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does one have to install the sensors inside the tire or just on the tire stem? I have been thinking about this option but can not decide.
I have used this set on a Casita and an E-21.
You can pay more if you like, but these do the job.
Metal valve stems recommended but not critical. I just used the stems that came on the Escape tires.
Plus the solar charge feature means one less cord dangling across the dash.
The sensors use the inexpensive CR 1632 batteries. I changed the batteries each year when I changed the different alarm batteries. Easier to do at home on the workbench.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7CP3PB...v_ov_lig_dp_it
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #71
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I went with the TST507 system with stem sensors and user-replaceable batteries. Mine get changed every couple years (the monitor will alert to low batteries) and if you loosen the stem sensors while in storage they will stop transmitting, so they last longer. I just put each into it's own ziploc baggie (labeled DF,DR,PF,PR) and toss them in the sink while storing the rig over the winter months. Did not want to have to unmount the tires just to change the battery inside.

Interesting that car makers have moved away from the internal sensors. Now the computer compares the rotation speed of each tire (sampled from the anti-lock brake sensors) and alert when one of the tires rotates faster than the others due to a decreasing diameter as it loses air. That's why the current systems don't alert you to which tire is the problem!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
I've used the EezTire system, which is just some sensors that are screwed onto the stem. Easy peasy...
Old 10-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #73

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
I have used this set on a Casita and an E-21.
You can pay more if you like, but these do the job.
Metal valve stems recommended but not critical. I just used the stems that came on the Escape tires.
Plus the solar charge feature means one less cord dangling across the dash.
The sensors use the inexpensive CR 1632 batteries. I changed the batteries each year when I changed the different alarm batteries. Easier to do at home on the workbench.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7CP3PB...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I looked at the link and the product info seemed to indicate that this was not a product for a trailer (presumably due to limited data transmission range).
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #74

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I looked at the link and the product info seemed to indicate that this was not a product for a trailer (presumably due to limited data transmission range).
Worked on a 21’ Escape.
Read some of the reviews from trailer users then decide what’s best for you.

On the single axel Casita, because I had two extra sensors I put one on the spare tire not really thinking it would work because it was facing away from the monitor plus covered with the tire cover. Much to my surprise, it did work. Of course the Casita was quite small.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #75

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
We have owned poorly built national brand bumper pulls, as well as a Casita that we really enjoyed. After three years, we decided we wanted a bit more room that Casita offered, and sold it in one day, actually making a small profit on it. A small 5th wheel that could be towed by a half ton truck was on our wish list, but were discouraged after touring a Scamp 5er.

On a visit to a local state park, we had a chance encounter with an Escape 5.0 and a short bed 1500 chevy PU. It was love at first sight.

Our 5.0TA will be completed Feb 9th, 2021, and we can't wait to be, as Willie says, On the Road Again...Pat&Matt
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use the Tire Minder system on my 21. They include a "booster" that runs on 12V that I installed in the front overhead cabinet above the bed. No problems with signal strength.

I do recommend metal valve stems. When I installed the pressure sensors with the original Escape provided stems, I noticed black "skid" marks on the tire rim. Hard to believe that the stem could flex enough for the side of the sensor to hit, but it did on all 4 tires. I now have metal stems...
Old 10-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #77

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Interesting that car makers have moved away from the internal sensors. Now the computer compares the rotation speed of each tire (sampled from the anti-lock brake sensors) and alert when one of the tires rotates faster than the others due to a decreasing diameter as it loses air. That's why the current systems don't alert you to which tire is the problem!
Speed-based tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) have been around for many years - both of the cars I have with TPMS have this system (from 2004 and 2012). These systems can't report actual pressure, but they could alert to which tire is lower (it is the one turning fastest), but they don't... because they are the least expensive alternative. Actual pressure sensors are more common in "premium" vehicles, and those with run-flat tires (which are more likely to be operated with inadequate pressure).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #78

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Some early systems strapped the pressure sensor and transmitter around the inside of the wheel, but I don't know if anyone uses that design any more.

The normal TPMS mounting design now is to build the sensor and transmitter into a valve stem; the system is inside the wheel, held in place by the stem. The tire must be removed to install it, but the batteries last for years so they are normally just serviced at tire replacement time.

Many aftermarket systems just screw the sensor and transmitter onto the valve stem in place of a cap. There are problems with this (stem damage, leaking, imbalance) but it is apparently commonly used on trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #79

Trailer: 2020 escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
All the RV’s we have been looking at recently are made in Canada!

Escape, Bigfoot and Leisure Travel Van. And now Northern Lite.

Canada rocks when it comes to building quality RV’s.
Armadillos from BC and trilliums built near Calgary.
Luckyf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #80

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
These tmps that just have a screw on cap on the stem. Don't you have to re-balance the wheels after this, or are they that light that the are the same as the cap they replace??