Escape alternatives - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #81

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I have heard other people had the same experience. The blown tire as it flies around can also do damage do the wheel well.
So I am aware of the downside. The upside is more appealing to me. I would rather face buying a new tire and maybe some fibreglass repair versus having a life threatening incident.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Been reading this forum for it's entire existence and can only remember a few reports of blown tires on single axle trailers ( the 17 mainly ) and can't recall any reports of loss of control. Driver simply pulled over as soon as possible.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #83

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
One good tip is to remember that trailer tires almost never wear out. They always die of old age with plenty of tread. I had literally told my wife "I'm replacing those tires when I get back." before heading out with the kids on spring break. Instead, I had the tires replaced at Discount Tire along the way after a blowout.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
One good tip is to remember that trailer tires almost never wear out. They always die of old age with plenty of tread. I had literally told my wife "I'm replacing those tires when I get back." before heading out with the kids on spring break. Instead, I had the tires replaced at Discount Tire along the way after a blowout.
Agreed! But to old age I would also add sun exposure. One of my epic blowouts was from a trailer I bought in L.A. where the tires on one side had been facing the sun for a few years. I thought I could make it home to Tahoe, but did not! Right around Lone Pine on the 395 it blew, and I didn't know it (because of the dual axle) until I saw smoke in the rear view. And yes the steel belts had ripped through well into the trailer and caused some fun damage...
Old 10-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #85

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I went with the TST507 system with stem sensors and user-replaceable batteries. Mine get changed every couple years (the monitor will alert to low batteries) and if you loosen the stem sensors while in storage they will stop transmitting, so they last longer. I just put each into it's own ziploc baggie (labeled DF,DR,PF,PR) and toss them in the sink while storing the rig over the winter months. Did not want to have to unmount the tires just to change the battery inside.

Interesting that car makers have moved away from the internal sensors. Now the computer compares the rotation speed of each tire (sampled from the anti-lock brake sensors) and alert when one of the tires rotates faster than the others due to a decreasing diameter as it loses air. That's why the current systems don't alert you to which tire is the problem!
Thanks to you Charley ,what we have and have been very happy ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:08 AM   #86

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We sold our 2007 Escape 17B in hopes of a little more space. We waited for a used 19, but nothing came up after a year. We had looked at many of the RV lots in southern Ontario but didn't find anything that met our expectations after owning a Trillium 4500 and the Escape 17B. Finally my wife says, just order what you want, your not going to be happy, she always right.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that there seems to be more complaints about new Escapes (usually minor issues) these days both on the forum and on the Escape facebook group? Is it because the quality has gone down or because there are so many more new owners?
I truly believe it is just the fact there are many more units out their, with production levels rising every day. Knowing personally a bunch of Escape owners, a couple this years models, and seeing very little issue with theirs (not that there are none at all) I believe it is still as good of a trailer as it ever was.

Funny that we never see posts from the many folks that are happy with their trailers, just the ones with problems. To be fair, the ones finding issues are the ones looking for answers, thus their posts.

Heck, I had a couple problems with my 2017, needing to replace the propane regulator at my cost, and the A/C and bath window under warranty. To me, these are very minor issues compared to all the joy I have experienced while out using my Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #88

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
The bad always rears it’s head, it’s what we have to contend with, the good takes care of itself. This is with everything in life.

More trailers more problems. We either fix it ourselves, or get someone else to do so. I have yet to see a problem brought forward that a simple factory solution could not have fixed. We live and learn. Some have to keep reinventing the wheel.

I am not knocking ETI.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Knowing personally a bunch of Escape owners, a couple this years models, and seeing very little issue with theirs (not that there are none at all) I believe it is still as good of a trailer as it ever was.
I completely agree. I'm overjoyed with my 2017 17 B. Have had a few minor issues upon acquiring my pre-owned trailer which I was able to fix and then every system worked perfect all mid-summer to fall on 10 different outings from 90 to 27 degree weather.

I review the Reddit RVliving and GoRving communities along with the Reddit stick built communities from time to time and am surprised by the high number of brand new trailers and relatively new RVs which have really serious issues. Owners who can't fix things themselves are further inconvenienced by slow warranty process and overburdened RV repair shops.

I'm also just so happy with how fiberglass is so water tight and rodent resistant.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #90

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
We have had our Escape 19 for one year now. Have taken 2 long trips and 3 short trips with it, so not a huge amount, but we have not had a single issue with it. I hope I haven't jinxed it now, but we are very pleased with the performance. I was a bit worried the furnace and the water pump were going to be noisy from what I have heard, but that hasn't been our experience.

I am impressed with the strength of the tongue jack. After two bone head moves of forgetting to raise the tongue jack fully and dragging it in the dirt, it still works perfectly. Escape perfect score, Me -2
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #91

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Happy Camper was mentioned, but new to me is that they have an second larger model offering. But wow...the prices...and I think the freezer in my fridge is large than what they offer for a fridge.

Check out this link if you want to see more details.
https://youtu.be/Rrsmb_oMe0M
Attached Thumbnails
2386491E-518B-4884-BDD4-7F1F46B92200.jpeg   94A2DD69-1760-4414-BFA8-E683FFE22B9B.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #92

It lost the "cute" factor.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alternative uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Happy Camper was mentioned, but new to me is that they have an second larger model offering. But wow...the prices...and I think the freezer in my fridge is large than what they offer for a fridge.

Check out this link if you want to see more details.
https://youtu.be/Rrsmb_oMe0M
Mother in law suite.
At 50 Grand base price it wouldn’t be likely that my kids would get one for my wife to live in and they know I’d rather live in a metal building in the woods for 50 grand. And they would be borrowing the money from us to pay for a place for one of us to die in. Not likely in our situation .
But different strokes for different folks. And you could always convert it to a taco wagon when the folks were gone. Looks like they got the bases covered. Kinda
Iowa Dave
Old 11-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #94

Appears to be a gap between the awning and the trailer so you can place buckets under the trailer and catch rain water. Clever.
One propane tank.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #95

Trailer: 2021 21C - March Delivery
Has anyone seen a RELIC in person? https://www.relictrailers.com/
AmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #96

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Every morning when I look in the mirror. Sorry too easy
Iowa Dave
Old 11-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #97

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
...and I think the freezer in my fridge is large than what they offer for a fridge.
Drawer fridge? They are new to me. If it’s the Dometic CD-030DC it is 1.6 CF. Pretty small for a travel trailer. Might be ok for a weekend but would certainly complicate longer trips.
Attached Thumbnails
42847055-8196-459E-B46C-65D4ABC23944.jpg  
Old 11-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #98

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Our 2002 Nash trailer had 2 very slow leaks that weren’t evident until 5 years on. Fixing cost me $6800. Thereafter I was super diligent, in fact if you look at the Google street view of our home it still shows me recaulking the trailer. Following that photo we had another leak (discovered in 2014) that wasn’t apparent until it was too late. The estimate for the repair was at least $5000. We sold the trailer for peanuts and looked for a Bigfoot before discovering our beautiful Escape 21. While at the RV dealer’s service centre I saw them repairing leak damage on a new Arctic Fox that had sat on their lot in the rain. I also encountered other Northwood trailer owners who had leaks.
When we got our Escape I was so impressed with the better quality. Our hot water heater in the Nash blew out from any strong winds, never mind trying to tow while lit. Our stove’s elements were harder to light and its ignition parts often came off driving the same roads we take with our Escape. Oh, and despite the floor insulation we find the floor on our Escape warmer in cold weather. I was surprised that the Escape’s spray on foam was as effective as that.
Oh, and our Nash came with a break issue. One of the wheels had an internal, invisible break in a wire to its brake.

Then there was the explosion in the new Nash that was being prepped for us for pickup in 2002. Not a trailer quality issue, but a dealer service one. Some service dept mechanic scavenged a part from the new trailer’s fridge for another trailer and was fired for some other reason. This was discovered during dealer prep for our Nash. They turned the fridge on and walked away. Later they heard a boom and the side of the trailer had a blast hole. Trailer was a write off. So BCRV Sales offered us a deal on a slightly more deluxe trailer. I wish we had walked away and found an Escape, but they weren’t in business yet.

Enough said.

Bob K
This story reminds me of the Lance truck camper my friend bought used. He found some soft wood in the upper front corner. By the time he was done investigating, the whole front upper was gone and he had most of the roof off. He had to make multiple trips to Detroit to purchase supplies. Knowing my friend, it's better than it left the factory.

Another side story, he bought a Bigfoot for $1300 someone had started a reno on and flipped it for $13,000. He did so much work the local RV shop was begging him to take repair work. They had a 1 year backlog of roof repairs.

Thanks, I'll keep my Escape.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #99

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I thought it was expensive...twice the price of a 17B with half the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
C69DC582-B47F-449E-81EC-C4A4487A8706.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #100

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Happy Camper was mentioned, but new to me is that they have an second larger model offering..

Check out this link if you want to see more details...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It lost the "cute" factor.
What, you don't think an Escape is "cute"? The original Happier Camper HC1 is a copy of the Boler 1300 shape; the new HCT appears to be a copy of a Trillium 4500 but stretched... and so is the original Escape.

The HCT, although it has the Trillium body shape, is different from an Escape 17': Reace put all of the additional length (compared to the 15' Trillium) ahead of the axle, but Happier Camper placed the axle and door a little further forward in the body, reducing the tongue weight. And of course the interior is very different in both materials and layout, and the structure and running gear could be different (Happier Camper doesn't describe them).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote