Escape Issues - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #41

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh heck, I thought that you did that deliberately. It makes the post so much easier to read.

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Me too. I said to myself, there's another post by considerate Laura, I better read it!

You guys! Guess I won't try to fix the extra thingie (you know I can't post very often without calling something a thingie - HA!) then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Do you press the Return key twice after each paragraph? Try once even though it may not look right for you.

Did it once and there wasn't any carriage return, so it looked like the dreaded single paragraph life story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the double line spaces is something new in the software. It's happening over at FiberglassRV too. After I post, I look at my posting, edit it to remove the extra line spaces that I know I didn't put in....

Thanks for this! I wasn't seeing it on other posts (granted, I'm not reading every thread), so I was wondering what the heck was going on.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #42

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My least favorite posts are ones that tell a life story in one long non-stop, no space post. Usually my eyes glaze over and I stop reading.

Ron
The ones I don't like are when someone does a reply and leaves in all of the photos, esp on a post that has a bunch of them to start with. There really isn't any reason to keep them in there and all you need to do is delete them in your reply.

(okay, I'll try to edit this post and see if I can fix the return spacing.)

Edit update: YAY! Thanks Donna for that tip.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
I definately agree with Laura, NW Cat, about the steps being difficult to wrestle. They also have to sharp edges near where they are bolted on in which someone who had the Escape got deeply cut, so beware.

And hubby and I were just talking today about having the refrigerator fan switch on the inside of the trailer. It would be so convienent at night to turn it off without going outside.
We have just made a couple of trips in very hot and humid weather in the Florida Keys and the refrigerator and the AC did great. We do tend to pack the freezer and refrig with baggies of ice in any extra spaces to help out with keeping it cool. We kept it on 5 for the first day or so before we turned it down. Works better than our Casita refrig did for sure.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
It looks like Escape will be offering a choice of either the newer style of awning, which may be fine in good weather areas, or an option to go with the "classic" style, which works better for rainier climates.
Since we had trouble with ours I am sure my husband would choose the classic one and I would go along with that, although personally I love just pushing a button to get the awning out. But then again I feel it is more delicate and am almost reluctant to use it.
N
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I open and close my step with my foot. Lift and push or pull. Not a problem.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I definitely agree with Laura, NW Cat, about the steps being difficult to wrestle. They also have to sharp edges near where they are bolted on in which someone who had the Escape got deeply cut, so beware.

And hubby and I were just talking today about having the refrigerator fan switch on the inside of the trailer. It would be so convenient at night to turn it off without going outside.

So, another person teaching someone else swear words as they wrestle with the steps.

Heck, half the time I have to go outside to flip the little holder thingies for the stove vent flap. What's one more item? But, yeah, know what you mean. An inside switch would have been very nice. I did ask Reece why they didn't do that and I forget now what his answer was. Probably that it would take more time, but don't quote me on that.

And speaking of that vent flap, one of these days I'd love to switch out the vent for one that has the open/close switch inside. But other items are higher on the list, like an outdoor electrical plug (the house doesn't have one), access to the sewer lines so I can dump tanks at home (now, wouldn't that be nice!!!) and replacing the toilet with an elongated one (my butt ain't that skinny any longer ).

So, for now I have a magnet hook on top of the hood with a cardstock piece of paper that says "vent open (or closed)" that I flip over as needed to remind me of the status. But, of course, that means I have to remember to flip the dang thing. It has lessen the amount of times I have to scamper out in my PJs in the AM to flip it open, esp when it's raining. (Yeah, PatandLinda - I know you're snickering at me right now.)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Tried that once as I remember you posting this before. Haven't done it again as the top of my foot/shoe got filthy dirty. Now I keep a rag near the door that I can use when wrestling with the step.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have no problems opening them with my foot, but generally jam them trying to do the same closing. Of course I always try, but most of the time I have to bend over, unjam them, and slide them in.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Ha! I wrestle with my step nearly every time...and make a ton of noise doing it.

And about the little holder thingies for the vent flap? I remember during orientation either Reace telling me or someone else telling me that he never fastens those. For a couple years, that was sometimes the one thing I would forget to deal with coming or going.

Problem solved now - one side broke and so I don't even bother with the other one!

My main issue has been with the refrigerator. Most of the time it stays cool enough on the highest setting. Twice I've had to take it in for door repair since the hinges come loose and the door just falls off. I am going to be considering another refrigerator at some point.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Dang door step, enough to make your hair start on fire. THEN, I looked at what needed to happen to deploy the step and then stow. Guess what, there's no wiggle room. It goes straight up and then out and goes back the same way. Metal to metal. I sprayed that area with dry lube. Put one hand in the middle of the step, lift up and pull out. Look at the 'catch' it has to drop down and works in reverse to stow. Once you figure THAT out, it's easy. Okay, the extra thick step mat I put on makes it a bit tougher, but I no longer swear at it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I really don't think all steps were created equally. Mine did not go straight in and out. Had to be wrestled to get in and out. Eventually removed and modified and back on. Now acceptable.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
The step worked fine but the distance to step in the trailer and out was too much . My knees will attest to that . Removed that step and bought a new step that has shorter distance to get in and out of trailer . Then cut down our aluminum folding step for another step . Basically have 2 step with much better distances . My knees are now happy . Absolutely love the Classic manual awning and wouldn't change . Same type awning using for 35 +years and can operate by myself . My biggest bitch are all the exterior plastic fixtures which have been changed to stainless . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We picked up our first Escape this January and like many here, chose an Escape based on opinions posted here.
The issues we have had all occurred soon after we picked it up and on our return trip to southern Calif.

The MaxxFan wouldn’t respond to either the remote or panel buttons. Worked fine when we did out walkthrough at Escape.
The exhaust fan stopped working.
The bathroom shower wouldn’t shut off when control was shut.

On the MaxxFan Reese suggested I call the factory directly since it would probably be quicker than him doing it. I did and they promptly sent me a new control board which was not difficult to replace.

On the exhaust fan Reese did complain about the quality control on that but promptly sent me a new light and fan switch harness which was also not difficult to replace.

The shower/faucet issue stumped Reese and he thought pulling the faucet might resolve the problem. Before I got to that it resolved itself so we are thinking it may have been some debris in the line during the installation.

We’ve done 5 trips and 4500 miles so far and nothing else has shaken loose since then so we are happy campers.

I will also throw my two cents in on the new awning. I was concerned about how much stress it would put on the trailer but so far it has worked great and I would say we love it. We just got back from a trip to the Southwest and had a few days of thunderstorms and it was fine. I did dump it periodically by pulling the corner down slightly as stated in the manual. It also retracted automatically during one breezy afternoon. I was impressed.

That said, my only issue is on options that Escape does. They don’t seem to do as many custom ones as the early Escapes have.

We wanted the dinette raised 4 inches and they said they only do 3 inches.
I wanted the light over the dinette controlled by a switch at the door and they said they only add one that controls the light in the kitchen area.
I wanted another switch to control an outside light on the drivers side and they said they don’t do that.
These are all options that I have read about other users getting. Oh well things change.

That said we love our Escape.
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Glad you love your 19; we had issues too in the beginning and still always loved it and still do. As to the no more mods- that is another reason why the Classics are just that!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
The step on our 19 only goes up or down when it is aligned perfectly straight. If it gets pulled on while at an angle, it gets stuck. If stuck, just push it back and start again. Maybe some lube would make it slide easier.

I don't think I could open or close it with my foot, but never tried. It usually works for me first or second try by hand, sometimes I have to try another time for my co-pilot. Lining up for hitching is when any nearby kids get to learn new words. My tow has a back up camera, but can still take up to 5 shots to line it up right. Worst is shade while sunny out.

Time to repaint that step, it is now looking faded and a bit rusty around the edges after 4 years - along with some other spots on the frame. I stopped in at ETI last month to look around while in Chilliwack, and was amazed at how glossy the showroom model steps looked compared to mine.

Still love my Escape.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The secret to the step is quite simple, use both hands. if you keep it level and raise and lower, it should function properly. It is when using one hand or the step becomes caught since it was not level, then it hangs up.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
The step on our 19 only goes up or down when it is aligned perfectly straight. If it gets pulled on while at an angle, it gets stuck. If stuck, just push it back and start again. Maybe some lube would make it slide easier.

I don't think I could open or close it with my foot, but never tried. It usually works for me first or second try by hand, sometimes I have to try another time for my co-pilot. Lining up for hitching is when any nearby kids get to learn new words. My tow has a back up camera, but can still take up to 5 shots to line it up right. Worst is shade while sunny out.

Time to repaint that step, it is now looking faded and a bit rusty around the edges after 4 years - along with some other spots on the frame. I stopped in at ETI last month to look around while in Chilliwack, and was amazed at how glossy the showroom model steps looked compared to mine.

Still love my Escape.
Consider adding a Bal Tongue Twister to help with lining up to your hitch. It’s well built and simplifies the hitching procedure. Well worth the cost and helps avoid arguments.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The secret to the step is quite simple, use both hands. if you keep it level and raise and lower, it should function properly. It is when using one hand or the step becomes caught since it was not level, then it hangs up.

I do and it still gets all goobered up. Very annoying.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Lining up for hitching is when any nearby kids get to learn new words. My tow has a back up camera, but can still take up to 5 shots to line it up right. Worst is shade while sunny out.

When I picked up the trailer, ETI had stuck on a piece of reflective tape on top/front of the hitch ball. That really helps a lot when I back up. I've learned (pretty much) where to line it up on the back up camera and it's (pretty much) spot on.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #60

Trailer: none
On our previous trailer (a 24 ft. HiLo) we found these to be helpful:

https://www.hitchinrods.com/

And using the acronym G.O.A.L. is helpful as well (Get Out And Look)!