Escape Issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Escape Issues

Hi, all,

Research for my next RV has led me to Escape trailers and this forum. As a new forum member who is trying to learn as much about these trailers as possible while considering a purchase, what are some of the known quality, or other issues, unique to Escape? What do you wish you had known about these trailers before you had made a purchase but found out later?

Thanks!
Greg
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Issues I had with quality.

Dometic RMD8555 fridge, ETI no longer uses it.

Thin paint on the frame and step. Repainted same.

Door hinges corrode, ETI now has a different door and hinges.
Wobbly table legs, U dinette.

Better battery box venting for the ones in my 5.0TA.

An optional 2nd cost of paint on the frame or something to that effect would have been nice and saved me a good bit of work. Not really a quality thing as the standard one work okay, but being a bit of a gadget geek I would have liked ETI done upgrades for the solar controller, the converter, and an optional battery monitor. All of which I've done after market.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Some owners of the new style awning windows are having problems with them separating, even falling out. No idea statistically how widespread the problem has been, or if the window mfr has made any improvements.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I knew what I was getting into when I decided to purchase, because I did some research and spent time on this forum beforehand. So I can't say I wish there was something I knew beforehand. Are there things I wish were done differently? Absolutely. For starters, I wish they had an aluminum fully boxed frame and in the case of the classic, a better door seal. But 3 plus years on, all in all, buying an Escape was one of the best decisions I've made.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #5

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Some owners of the new style awning windows are having problems with them separating, even falling out. No idea statistically how widespread the problem has been, or if the window mfr has made any improvements.

It was the earlier 2nd gens as far as I know that had delaminating window issues. The optional small windows for the kitchen and the bathroom on our 19 failed. As far as I know the small windows were the only ones that had this problem. Escape contacted Hehr who sent me two windows and I changed them out myself. There were others who had the same problem but it was not common. No problems since with windows.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I knew what I was getting into when I decided to purchase, because I did some research and spent time on this forum beforehand.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Had a Scamp, saw mentions from time to time on FGRV of Escapes. Looked good to me. I'm a broad strokes person. It had tandem axles and a fiberglass shell. Those were the basics that were important to me. The rest of the stuff is pretty much off the shelf stuff common to most RV's.

Went out to ETI to see the 17 and put a deposit on one, made the mistake of looking in the demo 19 and.... Considering, among other things, that our 19 has been from Alaska to Baja and across Canada to Newfoundland and across the US without any problems I'd have to say it's doing the job for us.

Yah, I gripe about the electrical stuff sometimes but I've come to accept that there's a difference in the way it's done if you're fussy and doing it for yourself and if it's done in a production environment.

Maybe I'm a little laid back about worrying about every detail beforehand. Give me tandem axles and a f.g. shell and I'll deal with the rest if need be.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Hi, all,

Research for my next RV has led me to Escape trailers and this forum. As a new forum member who is trying to learn as much about these trailers as possible while considering a purchase, what are some of the known quality, or other issues, unique to Escape? What do you wish you had known about these trailers before you had made a purchase but found out later?

Thanks!
Greg
Hi: Hilola...What I found out later and wished I'd known about is that 7 days of camping in an Escape makes one week!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 17
Another vote for a 3 yr warranty, or option to purchase another year like domestic does.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Another vote for a 3 yr warranty, or option to purchase another year like domestic does.

I've had no call to claim on ETIs warranty in the 9 years I've had the trailer. I have made a claim on the furnace, which is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, so extending the ETI warranty would have no effect on that.
What potential defect do you think would be covered by a 3 year warranty?
I'm sure there is some company out there that sells extended warranties for anything you might buy.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
No trailer is perfect but the Escape is pretty darn good. Appliances are built by the same handful of companies that make them for everybody.

If I was going to buy a new trailer tomorrow 99% chance it would be an Escape.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm sure there is some company out there that sells extended warranties for anything you might buy.
Yes, and I'm sure I'll have some detractors by saying this, but study after study shows that extended warranties are a waste of money.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I bought a doo-dad from The Source that cost $1.69 and was asked if I wanted the extended warranty.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, and I'm sure I'll have some detractors by saying this, but study after study shows that extended warranties are a waste of money.
The first extended warranty we got was for our first microwave not long after they were available in 1978. I think the unit itself was $650 or so, don't think the warranty was much. After a couple of years they basically had to rebuild the entire unit, so it was worth it that time. since then I've found that the extended warranties are not worth while, and they seem to want to sell you them on just about everything, even as Glenn says, a $1.69 doo-dad
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having owned 3 Escapes with a 4th on order I can say that I am a happy owner. Yes I went through some growing pains, like the lock recall, but what Escape makes itself and uses is top quality. Having owned 5 SOB's (some other brands), all new and all had their own issues, I can state that Escape's problems, if any are minor compared to the other manufacturers. In addition, Escape's customer service is so far above the other companies, as evidenced by Reace's cross country trip 2 years ago to fix perhaps 2 dozen trailers with defects. I am still awaiting Lance Trailers to contact me about their rubber roof issues on my Lane 1880 and my slide issues on my Lance 1575, all sold more than 1/2 dozen years ago at a loss.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Cpaharley2008 which Escape are you getting this time?
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #16

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
Cpaharley2008 which Escape are you getting this time?

I heard they are installing 30 pound propane bottles on this one to slow him down.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm get another E21 and I like the idea of the 30 pounders, but they would make the tongue too heavy, good answer though.....
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I can say I just love my new 21! I just need to learn how to back it up!
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
u mean we have to learn to back these Escapes up
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We had a glitch or two upon first receiving our 19. What happened was that ETI handled everything in a quick, no hassle and professional manner. FANTASTIC customer service. We have had ours for 16 months now and LOVE it.